New Tara player

Oldman lee

I think the death marshals are a great include if you are trying to focus on the bury aspect of Tara. Hannah also has some nice crew synergy as well as a good upgrade that obviously benefits Tara. If your looking for another hard hitter then Killjoy or Bishop are wonderful includes as well.

here is a great resource for new Tara players.

http://spiralingcadaver.blogspot.ca/2014/04/sounds-of-silence-tara-and-obliteration.html

• Like 1

Punks zombies are a must for Karina.  I seem to be able to summon up a student of viscera fairly often as well.  That's always a fun surprise.  A belle is great for resser Tara to get that one enemy model in range for the fast bomb.  Before Hannah was available I used to use Rusty Alyce for a henchman.  Fast with her rapid fire for four shots.  She can summon an abomination every other turn with the upgrade.  They don't always do much but the extra activations are nice.

• Like 1

Are you having trouble killing a low wd, high def model in close combat with Killjoy? Do you have a crow in hand that's low enough to summon a Crooligan? Do you have Bete buried as well? Well, I have shenanigans for you! Use karina to summon the Crooligan. On the crooligan's activation, use the Blistering Fog. Charge Killjoy. Hit KJ, BB splashes for 2 (1+1 for blistering fog). Hit KJ again. There's another 2 splash of black blood, killing the Crooligan, which then pops Bete out.

• Like 3

Now, I realize that's resser advice, but I'd also go as far as suggesting something with Outcast Tara.

Tara can be a hand neutral master. What does that mean? It means, to a greater or lesser extent, you can build Tara in such a way as to make her not care about what cards she has in her hand, as she can use them all, high or low.

It involves a henchman who can carry "I Pay Better" and a crew full of mercs. Tara hands out fast as needed at the start of the turn, in my case, to Hans and two trappers. The Trappers and Hans can discard a card for focus at the start of activation, shoot at max range for their fast ap, focus again, and then shoot. On a table with good sight lines, it can be ruder than a rude thing that's very, very rude. High cards are saved as needed for defense or casts.

• Like 1

You really need killjoy, and models from Karina's summoning list ) 

These... things are contradictory. I occasionally run the first if there's a reason I don't want the second, but I consider Karina's summoning really nice, so not worth paying for about the most expensive thing in the game, plus a specifically limiting Horror trait, when both Outcasts and Ressers have cheaper and nearly as effective beaters.

I generally think that you're paying a tax for a lot of models with self-sufficient bury shenanigans, so, while Tara makes them hum, I also don't think you'll reach optimal efficiency by just spamming weird bury things. Same reason (despite it looking amusing as hell) I've never found a reason to take a horde of Wretches: you get a diminishing ROI by hyper-specializing (esp. if your opponent has a good counter to said specialization).

Thanks for the shout-out, Jordan!

• 2 weeks later...

For Tara I'm finding that outside of her box, you really want to take things that can flurry since you can give out fast like candy. I really like Johan because for 6 points you getting a great damage track, somewhat tough, and condition removal. His main problem of being slow is also countered by Tara (aka making him fast or bury moving him into flurry position).

-Sue is a decent pickup with a decent damage track, some utility, but most importantly he draws more cards to increase Karina's summoning potential. He may be a bit hard to find though as he is only in metal right now and is sold out at alot of places.

-Bishop is your alternate Nothing Beast (you will rarely take both in the same list), but he achieves the same sort of use. If you plan on taking I pay better, I would take Bishop over the Nothing Beast as you can give him fast with Tara, then bury him and place him next to Tara, chain activate into him, focus with I pay better, charge with fast and swift, then flurry afterwards with 1 focused attack. He can also ignore armor and attack WP as well as needed, or just do +1 dmg with crit strike.

Considering the fact that you balance their point cost with 2 cheap and excellent scheme runners aka Void Wretches it really doesn't look that bad.

I always had Nothing Beast and Killoy/Bishop in my list as one was used as scheme runner hunter (Beast) and other as an annoying heavy beater.

Ah, well I tend to prefer the I pay better route and go with more merc models instead of void wretches, which I'll take 1 at most. My 2nd hitter is Johan who can hit like a beater and is 4 stones cheaper them most of the other beaters, plus he provides the condition removal.

Also if I want activation control I'll go with obedient wretch + a malifaux rat and start the rat spam game.

Edited by Khyodee

• 3 weeks later...

Well had my first two games with Tara this weekend have to say she is a lot of fun I played guild and lost then a dreamer crew and won on turn three as he gave up as the nothing beast was on fire. The only thing from the two games I'm not sure karina is worth the points she only summoned one model in the two games.

• Like 1

Karina's summoning gets much better with the more cards you can draw.  Dropping a speed bump Guild Autopsy in the way of an open charge lane once makes her well worth the 5ss.  Getting two out or an 16" Punk Zombie flurry bomb makes her more than worth it to me.  Of course it does require a little luck, but drawing 7-8 cards per turn before stones does help. :D

I still like Karina as she has potential to make the crew ramp up in power in more then a few ways especially if you add the Scion of The Void. The scion first off can make Karina hit like a truck (if she focuses of course) on an unsuspecting opponent. Then the scion can draw you more cards for more summoning potential with Karina. Third the scion also creates a great scheme runner with Karina by having her summon drowned in then having them bury and take half their life in damage....then the can go and drop a scheme marker and (0) action pop out a drowned which instantly dies and turns into a scheme marker (with finish the job).

Also few other things to add to Tara crews, 2x Friekorps Trappers with I Pay Better on Tara if you're on a open map is just mean. Also you can replace your big beater with Dr. Grimwell with I Pay Better on Tara (he can nimble to take a free focused Ml 7 attack for 4/6/10....make sure you have the cards to do the 10 damage). He also adds some extra movement tricks to the crew which works great with the Flurry models you already want to be taking with her.

• Like 2