Schemes & Stones Master Spotlight Nicodem

Khyodee

Is there an episode for Molly? As a summoner she seems to have a bit of utility, less than Nicodem because her pool is limited by what limited upgrade you take, but on the other hand you don't need corpse markers, just high cards (and stones for suit if necessary) unless taking Spare Parts.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it.

http://schemesandstones.podbean.com/e/master-spotlight-molly-squidpiddge/

Edited by Freman

I find the inclusions of Yin and Bete interesting. Usually Bete is a drain on your high cards that you save for Punks/Hanged/Students/Shikome. I do understand the synergy with Crooligans and other scheme runners. I guess it does help with putting on early pressure since Nico and Mortimer are hanging back.

Yin is a good model as well, nothing against her. I was surprised Izamu and Rogue Necromancy were passed over in the discussion, particularly Izamu for how well he roadblocks for nico. 3 Ht, 3" threat range, and a large base is pretty good at blocking LOS and charge lanes. 

I also found it interesting the one presenter suggested summoning at least twice per turn. I've been burning a corpse token to heal the punks/hanged to full or using Decay to top them off, then giving them fast. This seems good, but I had a bad time doing that against Pandora due to all the pinging that went on, and how easily she burns your hand. (this was in turf war. Her webs are very rough)

I've played just 3-4 games with Nico so far, I'm far from an expert haha. Just making note, and if anyone has anything regarding my above ideas/points, please let me know! I'm here to learn! :)

Edited by gromgrom

• 2 weeks later...

So I find healing is a huge trap. In my mind it is a waste of AP as you can just resummon something that dies. Making more activations and more ap is what will put you ahead. If the opponent is spending ap to kill a summons that is fine. Just resummon out of the new corpse marker and continue swinging. If you heal up one minion that only nets you for a punk zombie 4 wounds. If you summon another punk zombie out of the second marker you are gaining 3 wounds an activation and 2 ap, potentially 3 with fast or flurry.

Yin is there to just live, super hard to take down and works well with Hanged. With wave 3 I believe Yin will bid adieu and the Carrion Emissary will come into the list.

Bete I never cheat her attack or defense unless I really want to paralyze something. She is already positive on the attack and defense 7 so it's a pretty solid start already. I only hang onto the 10. She is great with how often things are dying around the board while using Nico and she can pop up and really put a wrench in things and is a decent scheme runner if you pop her up in a remote location. Mainly she is there to be a nuisance and tie up the opponent, either a big hitter or a cluster. If she charges a cluster with her 6 ml and positive she can make it difficult for things to walk away, and again defense 7 so it may take a few ap to get rid of her.

Roadblocking............that is what mindless zombies and summons are for. I am typically summoning all of my models about 6'' in front of Nico so that I can draw the card from sacrificing the mindless zombie. This screen of models keeps nico protected and he is typically kept in a hard to access spot either in cover or on a hill. So I don't really need the big model base/ht to screen him. With my summoning schedule I am usually keeping the opponent pretty busy dealing with everything in their face.

Another big thing that I do with nico is I play more of a turtle strategy in most strategies. By this I mean that I typically hang back and force my opponent to come to me. The only models I typically send forward will be crooligans to scheme run and if they are killed bete pops out and makes them regret it. I am typically out activating my opponent by turn 3 if not sooner and this allows me to save nico for last to summon in models where needed to interfere with enemy models and allows me to summon the correct model for the job. The only strategy this isn't the greatest in would be Squatter's Rights as you need to spread your models out a bit more so Nico has to venture a bit further forward to continue his summoning ways. Otherwise he is pretty content to sit back and be lured around by a belle in the backfield.

Any other questions let me know. I was one of the presenters and Nico is my main master. Gotta love a great toolbox master.

• Like 2

So I find healing is a huge trap. In my mind it is a waste of AP as you can just resummon something that dies. Making more activations and more ap is what will put you ahead. If the opponent is spending ap to kill a summons that is fine. Just resummon out of the new corpse marker and continue swinging. If you heal up one minion that only nets you for a punk zombie 4 wounds. If you summon another punk zombie out of the second marker you are gaining 3 wounds an activation and 2 ap, potentially 3 with fast or flurry.

Yin is there to just live, super hard to take down and works well with Hanged. With wave 3 I believe Yin will bid adieu and the Carrion Emissary will come into the list.

Bete I never cheat her attack or defense unless I really want to paralyze something. She is already positive on the attack and defense 7 so it's a pretty solid start already. I only hang onto the 10. She is great with how often things are dying around the board while using Nico and she can pop up and really put a wrench in things and is a decent scheme runner if you pop her up in a remote location. Mainly she is there to be a nuisance and tie up the opponent, either a big hitter or a cluster. If she charges a cluster with her 6 ml and positive she can make it difficult for things to walk away, and again defense 7 so it may take a few ap to get rid of her.

Roadblocking............that is what mindless zombies and summons are for. I am typically summoning all of my models about 6'' in front of Nico so that I can draw the card from sacrificing the mindless zombie. This screen of models keeps nico protected and he is typically kept in a hard to access spot either in cover or on a hill. So I don't really need the big model base/ht to screen him. With my summoning schedule I am usually keeping the opponent pretty busy dealing with everything in their face.

Another big thing that I do with nico is I play more of a turtle strategy in most strategies. By this I mean that I typically hang back and force my opponent to come to me. The only models I typically send forward will be crooligans to scheme run and if they are killed bete pops out and makes them regret it. I am typically out activating my opponent by turn 3 if not sooner and this allows me to save nico for last to summon in models where needed to interfere with enemy models and allows me to summon the correct model for the job. The only strategy this isn't the greatest in would be Squatter's Rights as you need to spread your models out a bit more so Nico has to venture a bit further forward to continue his summoning ways. Otherwise he is pretty content to sit back and be lured around by a belle in the backfield.

Any other questions let me know. I was one of the presenters and Nico is my main master. Gotta love a great toolbox master.

I agree on healing, unless it's a healing bomb from Decay shot at a Fleshie (since his low WP makes it easy to get straight flips to cheat in severe damage), then use the templates to heal your units and damage your opponent's units. I've since went away from that strategy, but as I said, against Pandora I feel she doesnt expend as much AP to deal with Punks so I want to make them more durable. I'll try not healing them next time and see :) 

I havent seen Carrion's card yet, just this http://www.spritesanddice.com/2015/08/malifaux-shifting-loyalties-content.html and the walk aura seems HUGE. And I just got to the abilities. Summoning a Flesh Construct... wow. a nice damage track of Ca6 with 3/3B/4BB. Crap on a cracker. Then the mindless zombie generation... and blocking terrain? yeah. I agree. Day one purchase. 

I tried bete in my last game to Deliver a message. Seems to be what she excels at. I ran 2 punks up to Ramos and the Crooligans wrapped around to surround him. Waited until Howard killed one, then popped her out and delivered it. Then she just was annoying to deal with him for him right in his leader's face!

Are you using Belles to drag Moritmer up? At least in the first few turns, my only corpses are from him and without His Favorite Shovel, he stays in place and Rips His Spleen Out and Finds Bones all day. I really want to take the shovel but at 2 points it's a hard sell. But also is a belle just to pull them up the field. Recently tried 3 Crooligans (was going to do 1 belle 2 crooligans, might end up that way), and they were fantastic runners. I'm in love. 

I can tell about the Turtle strategy. Ressers love attrition. And they dont do great charging in one at a time like Huggy or Marcus's crew can.

I figured you were one of the presenters! Thank you for taking time to answer my questions! I'd like to hear more podcasts about Nico, and with that quality and level of detail!

I don't really move mortimer or nico that much. I use the vulture to position corpse markers where I want them. Mortimer just brings in 2 corpse markers a turn right where he starts the game at for me till turn 3. Turn 4 depending on number of corpse markers available and the status of the game he may do something different. Melee 7 is a thing, and something my opponents don't realize he has since I usually just have him back making corpse markers.

I run a podcast and some of my earlier episodes I discuss some specific lists I use with nico. It looks like episodes 2, 8, and 13 all relate to nico in some form or another.  I also will paste in a youtube vassal game i played with nico against hoffman and it is a good representation of how I play Nico. Just mind a few adult words from my opponent.

• Like 2

I don't really move mortimer or nico that much. I use the vulture to position corpse markers where I want them. Mortimer just brings in 2 corpse markers a turn right where he starts the game at for me till turn 3. Turn 4 depending on number of corpse markers available and the status of the game he may do something different. Melee 7 is a thing, and something my opponents don't realize he has since I usually just have him back making corpse markers.

I run a podcast and some of my earlier episodes I discuss some specific lists I use with nico. It looks like episodes 2, 8, and 13 all relate to nico in some form or another.  I also will paste in a youtube vassal game i played with nico against hoffman and it is a good representation of how I play Nico. Just mind a few adult words from my opponent.

Love the game! Panzer was hilarious. 

And I cant believe it took me until seeing this to see how strong Yin and The Hanged are together. Okay, you've convinced me! I think with that combo I'd feel more comfortable in Reckoning with Nico! 

I getcha on the markers. Vulture did alot of work that game! My opponents tend to focus on my totems regardless of their value to me. So as the guy in your podcast stated, vulture doesnt *seem* to do much. But he's a 3 pt corpse marker that moves them, or can contest squatter points. He's definitely not bad. I do have to say though, just played a Turf War game with GY Spirit, Izamu, and Flesh Construct all b2b, and it was a nasty tarpit. Hanged was shooting whispers from outside the bubble and in his back line. It was glorious!

Glad you enjoyed the game. My favorite highlight was the vulture finishing off Hoffman. Hilarious. Yeah I can see the izamu flesh construct gs being quite stout. I have never really worried about my things living with nico. More concerned about bringing more in when I need it. I could see that combo with resser masters who aren't as effective as summoning as it is a really tough nut to crack. 

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed the game. My favorite highlight was the vulture finishing off Hoffman. Hilarious. Yeah I can see the izamu flesh construct gs being quite stout. I have never really worried about my things living with nico. More concerned about bringing more in when I need it. I could see that combo with resser masters who aren't as effective as summoning as it is a really tough nut to crack. 

I'm still very new. Didnt know what Ramos could bring, so I figured if I threw 14 points at a very difficult to crack wall, i could run my schemes and summon dudes casually to screw with him in the meantime, while earning my turf war points and slowly moving that ball of death forward. 

I listened to one of those podcasts, I think it was episode 2. I'll have to listen to the rest! Keep producing content for Ressers and I'll listen!

Edited by gromgrom

• 2 weeks later...

When I look at your podcasts the oldest available is episode 31. Is there somewhere we can view those older Nico episodes?

• 2 weeks later...