Fluff questions

yool1981

I am a fairly new player. I just finished reading all the fluff I had acces to.

Malifaux's fluff is by far the best one I have read so far. There still are some unclear points though and I was wandering where to find the answers to the following questions:

_ I did not find any story about Tara. She seems to originate from a campaign but I couldn't find the fluff behind it.

_ What is the relationship between Shenlong and the 10T? I couldn't find anything relating them.

_ What are the effigies? Some stories seem to hint at them having been built by Zoraida but I couldn't find anything structured and thorough.

a. Look for the Dead of Winter documents. The new book Shifting Loyalties has a lot of Tara stuff, too.

b. Not sure yet. I suppose his order is connected to them.

c. It's true (and in their entries). Zoraida created them to get some sort of control over the factions represented by them, but somehow (I think it was the Event), they were suffused with the essence of their factions. Now, they are drawn to those factions and help them.

• Like 1

Another fluff related question. Is Gorgon and the Grave Spirit the same entity? Or is the Grave Spirit something else entirely? I'd always thought that they were different names for the Tyrant, however the new campaign fluff mentions that the Grave Spirit is an extradimensional entity, which would mean that he's not the Tyrant known as Gorgon.....

I found the story about Malifaux's past, the Grave Spirit and the Tyrants a bit confusing at times.

I don't know if the time sequence is correct but what I understood is that:

_ At some point in time, some of the original inhabitants of Malifaux found out how to use the aether to get more power and possible immortality.

_ This lead to the ascendance of some of them to the Tyrant status (Cherub, December, The Gorgon, The Plague...).

_ Due to the Tyrants' oppression, the original inhabitants  summoned the Grave Spirit to fight against them.

_ Over time, the original inhabitants mutated into the shape of the current Neverborn (I remember reading contradictory history stating that Neverborn were demons summoned by the original inhabitants and taking the shape of their worst fears).

_ At the end and through an unknown process, the Tyrants were imprisonned and the Grave Spirit sent back to its dimension.

_ The struggle led to the quasi-destruction of the world, with the Neverborn going dormant until mankind appeared through the Breach.

Am I correct?

@Sholto: By which name do you sign your writings? Just to know who I should congratulate (Malifaux's fluff is usually very interesting and very pleasing to read).

Edited by yool1981

I got the impression from reading the fluff in the past that it wasn't just one extradimensional being that they summoned to help fight the Tyrants, but several of them. Kind of like a Host of Outer Gods kind of thing.

Thinking back on what happened with Seamus, it's no wonder why he's so messed up mentally. He was about to become a conduit for the Grave Spirit before Hopkins killed him, only to be brought back by getting the Gorgon's Tear embedded in his forehead.... Two 'godlike' forces manipulating his mind/body? Yeah, not a recipe for stability there.

David McGuire. My writing is mostly 1st edition, and back then stories didn't get by-lines! I have one in Shifting Loyalties, however.

I hadn't noticed that by-lines didn't exist in 1st ed. As soon as Shifting Loyalties is available in electronic version (space issue in my flat so no more physical book is allowed), I will definitely look for your work.

Generally correct. What shapes the Neverborn isn't really clear, but they seem to ether induce or be shaped by humanity's fears. Also, it's unclear whether the Neverborn went dormant or just left Malifaux city.

That's also a very interesting part of Malifaux that there is still some mysteries in the universe. This makes reading the fluff all the more enjoyable.

Something else occurred to me while I was rereading the last book. It's obvious that the Neverborn hate necromancy in all it's shapes and forms; something that seems to be in Gorgon's wheelhouse. However, if they are so adverse to necromancy, was it just sheer bad luck that one of the 'Outer Gods' they called on to assist against the Tyrants was the Grave Spirit? Or did they come to despise necromany as much as they now do because of what not only Gorgon, but also the Grave Spirit did during 'the war'?

Just some thoughts that have crossed my mind....

Something else occurred to me while I was rereading the last book. It's obvious that the Neverborn hate necromancy in all it's shapes and forms; something that seems to be in Gorgon's wheelhouse. However, if they are so adverse to necromancy, was it just sheer bad luck that one of the 'Outer Gods' they called on to assist against the Tyrants was the Grave Spirit? Or did they come to despise necromany as much as they now do because of what not only Gorgon, but also the Grave Spirit did during 'the war'?

Just some thoughts that have crossed my mind....

Nuclear war is bad, right?  So's summoning the Grave Spirit.

And keep in mind, as shown in the December/Grave Spirit story arc, the threat of summoning the Grave Spirit is what scared December.

Edited by solkan