Most in-theme masters?

OSP

Hi to everybody!

I know that Malifaux is a game about factions and that it has a rich background that allows to mix different miniatures without breaking the fluff.

But I was wondering,for you, who are the most in-theme masters? For in-theme I understand the typical crew according to the fluff / starter box. Some examples would be nephilim for Lilith, frozen Heart for Rasputina, belles and undead hookers for Seamus.

Another example:Izamu. Izamu can work for any resser master and you can use the background to justify it,but the typical and most in-theme máster for Izamu is Yan-Lo.

I try to keep in theme with all my masters, and given that I play Ressers I find it pretty easy to do. Sure, there are 'more optimal models' for many of the choices I have to make, but where's the fun in that?

Luckily for me, my regular opponents feel much the same way and it's pretty rare we don't see heavily themed crews hit the table, and also possibly why we seem to have such great games :)

I think McMourning is a great in-theme master. Sebastian, the Zombie Chihuahua, Nurses, Flesh Constructs and Canine Remains/Necropunks make a great crew selection and fit his theme very well.

I find there are two types of themed Masters:

1. The Masters who don't really work unless you theme their crews - note that this is a small subsection of Masters.  I would count Raspy as an example of this type - if you don't take Frozen Heart crew, you're significantly handicapping yourself.

2. The Masters who work fine anyway, but reward you for theming (this is the most common type of themed master)  Continuing the Arcanist theme, I would count Ironsides as an example of this - she works fine anyway, but Hand-Picked Men is a horrfic buff that rewards you for taking M+SU models.  Marcus is another example - he just works so well with Beasts that why would you take other stuff? :)

can't think off the top of my head..

I would say though that Gremlins seems to be a faction where you can pretty much run anything from it with any master and it would still be in theme!

On the one hand a large pool of models to choose from, on the other hand a large pool of models to choose from!

Molly, Ulix, Dreamer and Collodi also super-themey Masters.

As a counter question. What master do you think doesn't work in theme and needs to be built out of theme? Or is there such in your opinion?

Mah Tucket! Her theme crew has anti-synergy :D

On a slightly different note, Colette's theme likely wasn't meant to be all about Howard Langston and Arcanist heavy hitters :P

As a counter question. What master do you think doesn't work in theme and needs to be built out of theme? Or is there such in your opinion?

Lady Justice, Sonnia, Guild McMourning, Lilith, Colette, Mei Feng, Misaki, Nicodem, Tara, Jack Daw, Hamelin, Victorias and probably a few others I forgot are shooting themselves in a leg pretty badly if they stick to the themed models only.

zFiend, that's actually how I do play Hamelin and fine he performs wonderfully as a control master.

I agree. I have never played him without rats, but I have seen some others do it. He definitely works better with using rats though, but you dont have to bring an exclusively rat crew. I know a guy who uses desolation engine with him. Masters can always be play "withing theme" but so many can be stretched beyond that. 

I personally think Jack Daw is high up there as far as theme lists. I have found it hard to theory craft him without his theme crew

Oddly, while I don't think he plays particularly well with Black Sheep, I find what McCabe does play with (the whole hunting pack thing with dogs and horsemen) feels way more in theme than if he were to play with the Black Sheep.

Hoffman is very hard to play out of theme as well, but honestly, while few of the others in Gulid play hard in theme, the Guild line as a whole is pretty cohesive.  It's mostly just different varieties of cowboy/lawmen; some just happen to have flaming skulls.