Sensei Yu is basically the totally best ever awesomesauce

mattbird

I have been playing Shenlong and Sensei Yu in a league for the past 6 weeks, and I must say I love the way they work together.  Ive been starting Shenlong off with wandering river, and Yu with low river.  I never seem to switch their upgrades as they seem to work out so well.  I always find Yu more than any other model in Malifaux to need 1 more AP or 1 more action to be stellar.  Im not sure if it is simply aggressive play style where I feel the lack of charge is a huge draw back, but Shenlong giving him fast every turn has made him a super star.  With the release of Yu and Shenlong, the Ten Thunders really have a unique place and playstyle which is great.

Here's a small tip for you:  If you start with Shenlong having one of his limited upgrades (in this case, we'll say "Low River Style"), and then switch to "Wandering River" during the first turn, Sensei could just pick it up for free, without having to start with it.  It may slow down the game play for a turn, but it would save you 2 ss from the beginning as well.  Just something to keep in mind, when you're building your crew in the beginning.

But, yeah... Sensei is just awesome.  Probably my favorite Henchman in the entire faction, followed closely by Kang.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a question about Sensei Yu running with Brewmaster.  Say if Sensei uses Brewmasters "Drinking Contest" (0) action, and an enemy model happens to be within 3" of both him and the Brewmaster, would the model have to test twice before getting to take it's intended action?

If you take Sensei Yu in our game tonight, I am going to sulk... a lot... 

I guess it depends on if I decide to play Brewmaster as a Gremlins Master or a TT Master then. :P

So I have a question about Sensei Yu running with Brewmaster.  Say if Sensei uses Brewmasters "Drinking Contest" (0) action, and an enemy model happens to be within 3" of both him and the Brewmaster, would the model have to test twice before getting to take it's intended action?

If you take Sensei Yu in our game tonight, I am going to sulk... a lot... 

It works. If the enemy is not within 3" of Brewmaster, though, I believe they get to take their original action instead of the On The House Action even if they fail, though. But if you've got their heavy hitters snugged right up to Brewie, though...woof!

Yup. I've had that set up. Two drinking contest auras and a Tannen to make it hurt. I find Yu is beneficial for pushing a DC'd brewmaster into a group of enemies, so he doesn't have to spend his AP walking. Just DC, then Swill x3 or an obey or something, then Pushed into place for optimal Contests.

ENinja

I believe they get to take their original action instead of the On The House Action even if they fail, though.

Out of curiosity, how is that so?

Yup. I've had that set up. Two drinking contest auras and a Tannen to make it hurt. I find Yu is beneficial for pushing a DC'd brewmaster into a group of enemies, so he doesn't have to spend his AP walking. Just DC, then Swill x3 or an obey or something, then Pushed into place for optimal Contests.

ENinja

Instead of Tannen, I was actually thinking about just bringing Fingers along, however it would mean I'd need to take "Running Tab".

I believe they get to take their original action instead of the On The House Action even if they fail, though.

Out of curiosity, how is that so?

Because they don't have the option of taking the On the House action if they're not in range of Brewie to take it. They're still forced to take the willpower test if Yu has the aura active. This one has come up before, somewhere, though I forget where. Possibly in the FAQ, but potentially in a rules query thread.

FAQ

Ten Thunders
1) Q: If Sensei Yu uses the Drinking Contest Ability, will models in range need to take two Wp tests? What if they aren’t in range to take the On The House Action?
A: Yes, any models in range of both Auras would need to pass two Wp tests in order to perform an Action other than On The House. If the model is not in range of the Brewmaster’s Aura allowing it to take the On The House Action, failing the Wp test has no effect.

Here's  a nasty trick I pulled off with Sensei Yu the other night.  Opponent had Line in the Sand and Barbarose protecting one of his scheme markers on the center line.  Sensei Yu used Mighty Guts to push Barbarose into dense terrain I also picked up the scheme marker and moved it off the center line.  Now for the nasty bit.  I put the scheme marker about 1/4" from the center line, locking off about 8" of center line where he couldn't drop another scheme marker for Line in the Sand. Also if you read the interact action "A model may take a (1) Interact Action to remove all enemy Scheme Markers in base contact with it."  So he couldn't even remove that friendly marker with an Interact action.  Without a special ability, that part of the center line was a dead zone for him.

Sensei Yu =  My hero.

Edited by MrDeathTrout
  • Like 1

Here's  a nasty trick I pulled off with Sensei Yu the other night.  Opponent had Line in the Sand and Barbarose protecting one of his scheme markers on the center line.  Sensei Yu used Mighty Guts to push Barbarose into dense terrain I also picked up the scheme marker and moved it off the center line.  Now for the nasty bit.  I put the scheme marker about 1/4" from the center line, locking off about 8" of center line where he couldn't drop another scheme marker for Line in the Sand. Also if you read the interact action "A model may take a (1) Interact Action to remove all enemy Scheme Markers in base contact with it."  So he couldn't even remove that friendly marker with an Interact action.  Without a special ability, that part of the center line was a dead zone for him.

Sensei Yu =  My hero.

On a related question, could an enemy model use "Obey" on one of my models to remove one of my Scheme Markers?  This actually happened to me once, and didn't think to question it, but since you bring this up, now I'm not sure.

Is that so?  Ok then.

In the game I played, I had used my model to place a scheme marker.  On his next activation, he "Obeyed" my model to remove it, with an Interact action.  But if what you're saying is true, then I'm guessing he actually couldn't have done that.

Question though: While my model is being "Obeyed" by him, does he consider my Scheme Marker as a friendly marker to the model still, since he's the one controlling it?  Could be a wording issue here.

Edited by Rurouni Benshin

Pretty sure you can always choose to relent, regardless if it's coming from an enemy or friendly model.  But not being able to remove a friendly scheme marker with your own interaction is pretty important to know too.

You can only relent on an opposed duel with a friendly model.

We got a page number for that? It's one I've heard a couple times, and it'd be nice for something to point to.

ENinja 

Pretty sure you can always choose to relent, regardless if it's coming from an enemy or friendly model.  But not being able to remove a friendly scheme marker with your own interaction is pretty important to know too.

You can only relent on an opposed duel with a friendly model.

We got a page number for that? It's one I've heard a couple times, and it'd be nice for something to point to.

ENinja 

Page 33 in the big rule book, Attack Friendly Models callout box.