Sensei Yu is basically the totally best ever awesomesauce

mattbird

His ability to push around scheme markers makes running any of those schemes almost trivial. Instead of doing little but positioning turn one, I now have half my guys drop markers, with the expectation that he will push them where they need to be later on. It's not exact math, but I feel like this nets you the equivalent of 4 ap or so by itself, not to mention not worrying about enemy models messing up interacts. 

Want something dead? Push a beater 11" forward and give him fast. 

Need a marker in a corner? same deal. 

Need enemy model neutralized? Push him away and make him slow. 

Disciple has some really, really stinky implications in some crews, and Wandering River Style means that any crew you field with him will change the way your opponent has to play. Combined with his decent stats, he really is quite possibly the best toolbox model 10T have access to.

Things I've used him for/still want to try:

- the intercontinental ballistic Misaki

- the easiest Plant Explosives/Spring the Trap/Line in the Sand/Protect Territory ever

- a second Yan Lo

- the easiest denial of Plant Explosives/Spring the Trap/Line in the Sand/Protect Territory ever

- etc...

He finds his way into nearly every crew I use these days (which is probably a sign of him being maybe a little *too* good...)

• Like 2

He is incredible, and I love him, but Yu costs 11ss minimum (since he's always going to take either his personal upgrade or one of his limited upgrades). There are games when I have just wanted Toshiro more, and I don't usually feel like spending 21ss on a pair of support models (since, at that point, there isn't a lot to support).

I think Yu is great, and likely is the best 10T henchman, but he does have limitations as well.

It doesn't really save you AP because you still need to place them, but it does provide other important advantages. Namely when you push them with the target they don't have to all be 4" away from each other anymore(assuming placed with interact actions), and your opponent has less chance to get rid of them before you use them.

It doesn't really save you AP because you still need to place them, but it does provide other important advantages. Namely when you push them with the target they don't have to all be 4" away from each other anymore(assuming placed with interact actions), and your opponent has less chance to get rid of them before you use them.

I think this is a really interesting topic, and probably something that would be worth trying to quantify. You still use the same # of AP, because you still have to drop the markers as normal. But, if you wouldn't have done something particularly productive with that AP, then you're still effectively saving AP by simply being more efficient.

Say you walk on turn one and can then either walk again or drop a marker...well, maybe 5" is all you really NEEDED to walk on the first turn; maybe it's smart to do now because you can't guarantee being unengaged on any turn after this one; maybe you have tengu who can benefit immediately from the scheme marker; maybe Yu himself would have nothing better to do than push models around, so you might as well interact now and let the Sensei do the moving for you.

So, anyway, I suspect that Wandering River Style can virtually save you on plenty of AP, given optimal usage, and now finding a way to approximate how much AP it can save you seems very interesting to me.

• Like 1

He's kind of like The Captain but where he can beat face with that hammer of his, Yu adds a bunch of buff and support with some control thrown in. The Air Burst and Mighty Gust combo is really great though. 10" push and Fast on any model you choose for two 6's of any Suit. I have a feeling he is not going to like facing Masters with Obey though if Focus is stacked, of course. Imagine Perdita pushing herself an extra 5" without losing an action thanks to Wandering River Style.

For reference- on top of all these awesome things. One of the things I'm often excited about exploring is a second 0 action held by the master. So:

Brewmaster: Drinking Contest- You can make a second bubble, though it doesn't effect people outside the range of another round, so it really only multiplies the difficulty of a model within both auras, not allowing you to setup a drinking contest down field.

Mei Feng: She's got nothin'.... (Sad Trombone).

Lucas: He can use the "Take This" action to pass a model that's been passed to him and also still give out the push. 

Lynch: He can use the Mulligan. His is different due to the discard stipulation- anything he would discard gets shuffled in instead. Definitely to curb people trying to discard three aces, draw three cards, and get the three aces back. 

Yan Lo: He can attach ascendance upgrades with the help of Chiaki or something? He can definitely Instill Youth.

Shen Long: He can take a bunch of awesome actions. With words on the river, he can turn some conditions into cards. He can take mastery to get 2 of the conditions on the chart. He can use Monk of Many Styles to swap his own Limited upgrade.

Misaki: Likely has a 0 action. But I don't have her card in front of me...

I guess Lynch is really the only one I'm super stoked about. And Shen Long, but that's what he was sorta tooled for.

Still- worth a mention! A model inside two Drinking Contest bubbles, with a Tannen about? You are not going to be able to do anything.

ENinja

Mei with on wings of wind with Sensei Yu makes an extremely mobile crew. I've played three games this week and without much difficulty, Mei has charged and killed a key enemy on turn 1, and then pushed into a good hiding spot at the end of turn.

I am really finding wandering river style is a bit redundant with air burst. Next game I am going to try a different style with him.

It's true, we'll make a brighter day, just Yu and Mei...

Oh my God, you did it... You... Holy... I just don't even...

Man, if you could give Mei that much movement... on top of her rail walk... My god. 

Wandering river is better than airburst because of the ability to push markers as well as the target.

Airburst is better because it gives focus. 

The conductor nature of it is amazing. He doesn't have to move one person a lot, he can manipulate the whole battlefield very quickly.

I love the idea that he can airburst an enemy, yank them into him, punch them, with focus. End with focus on him, burning or poison on the enemy, and still get a zero of some nature. 

He's a bit spendy, sure. But he's a solid utility piece. I'm guessing best with killy masters- as you're swapping your stones for buying killy models with Yu the support piece.

Mei with on wings of wind with Sensei Yu makes an extremely mobile crew. I've played three games this week and without much difficulty, Mei has charged and killed a key enemy on turn 1, and then pushed into a good hiding spot at the end of turn.

I am really finding wandering river style is a bit redundant with air burst. Next game I am going to try a different style with him.

Wandering River Style is 50% of the reason to take him, IMO (the other 50% being Disciple). Pushing not only models, but markers too (in decent quantities) wins games. And if you've ever tried it with Misaki... well a fast Misaki, pushed 10" forward, with a target already Stalked for her is a turn-one master killer, especially with recalled training as well.