Aaron

August 3rd - The Other Side

I believe there will not be a direct reference to Malifaux models in the The Other Side but things like Cult of December or Order of the Chimera might be mentioned.

(I read that somewhere)

I'm pretty sure characters won't be crossing over directly, but I doubt there won't be crossover with characters events in the stories.

For me personally I paint so slowly so painting 6-7 models over a month is all I can do. Therefore Malifaux is great for me. However I wish Wyrd every success with a larger game and I'm sure I'd buy some of these just because the sculpts will be nice.  I'm interested where they will go with mechanics, I was just thinking about having elements of poker, like making particular hands triggers effects or their strength, how well bluffs would affect tactics I have no idea. 

Although the games won't be cross compatible, I would hope that for the major characters there would be rules for fielding them in either game. So a leader in the Other Side, would have a stat card as an enforcer in Malifaux and that a master in Malifaux could be fielded in The Other Side.  I guess even if that was just in the context of a story encounter.  

I'm going to begin the wild speculation - Kickstarter? A safe way to get a feel the popularity of your product and very popular with companies. But can be a rep killer if things go wrong or delays happen. 

Maybe lead with a boxed set near the start and not several years in? I know that when I started getting in to Malifaux I would have loved a starter set and it actually took over a year for me to play a game because it was "okay I need two crew boxes, two fate decks, the rule book and terrain". For me at the time it was a bit like "I need to pay at least £50+ on top of the £50 on crew boxes just to start this.  

Around £60 - £75 seems to be the range for starter sets in the UK. The Malifaux starter set is around £45 so if a set that had 8-10 models per side and essential rules - I guess I would expect to pay around £65 - I guess that's like the warmachine starter boxes.  If it was like operation Icestorm where you had less models but a play mat and card terrain and 16 models in the box where there is a big model on either side then I would pay around £75-80 I guess. 

Bit of a brain dump, apologies, hope it's interesting to someone!

• Like 2

I absolutely agree with most of what you said. Malifaux is an incredible game, but it can be hard to shanghai new players, due to the fluctuating demands of the different masters/factions, so a bit of babysitting is required. And as an incredible slow painter; more minis would be bad :D

But to keep it on topic: Let's see what happens, and hope we get some new information sooner than usual, or the theories will run rampant! :)

Interesting. I must say that I'm a bit worried that a mass combat game at Wyrd mini prices sounds a bit extreme. Wyrd minis are also rather time-consuming to put together and paint which also makes me a bit worried. 15mm scale would've solved both of these problems but if it is not to be then it isn't.

Yeah I agree entirely. 

I think Company sized games in 28 mm feels very cramped on any practical playing surface. But looking at the popularity of 40k I guess I'm in a minority.

• Like 1

I for one are really looking forward to this game. The Preview looks awesome and a 30+ models game would just be awesome.

I think Company sized games in 28 mm feels very cramped on any practical playing surface. But looking at the popularity of 40k I guess I'm in a minority.

40k is a completely different animal - even Warmahordes is apples and oranges compared to other games. And ungodly expensive at that.

The way I see it, the cost and scope of the game depends largely on the playtesting and core mechanics of the game. Confrontation would be a better example than GW and PP here, where lower model counts can still make a widely varied game. If 'The Other Side' maxed an army out at 15-20 models for tournament level, I wouldn't be mad - figure a leader, a couple squads, a couple heavy hitters. 

Give the developers a chance :)

Honestly, isn't it a bit too early?

I mean, at least in Italy, Malifaux community is growing but it is still small. If players have to "divide" between 2 games, dosn't it risk to become self-defeating?

Also, new players (that are not knowing Malifaux ) will have the impression that Malifaux is the introduction to "The Other Side", so they will be scared by the need of learning 2 games and to have at the end to buy (and spend money) lot of mini for the "real big game".

Maybe in other countries the situation is different... 

I don't think so... Malifaux has got a logo that says "I'm the main game!", The Other Side's one says "I'm something else".

I'm actually cool, another game can exist without interfering with Malifaux. Many aspects that come from a massive war environment cannot be implemented in a skirmish, based on individuals, narrow environment (first of all sorta small time jump ahead, from the picture). Many of the characters would lose a lot of importance in a World War against aliens (who would care about Seamus and his despicable hobbies, while you need to stay down in a trench?). The demand for this kind of stuff will be satisfied by The Other Side, while keeping Malifaux safe.

The game will feature more models than Malifaux, but there are currently no plans to change the scale.

But, you know, testing.

just want to chime in with my vote; if the scale changes, i won't buy it... i only collect one scale of figures.

• Like 1

40k is a completely different animal - even Warmahordes is apples and oranges compared to other games. And ungodly expensive at that.

The way I see it, the cost and scope of the game depends largely on the playtesting and core mechanics of the game. Confrontation would be a better example than GW and PP here, where lower model counts can still make a widely varied game. If 'The Other Side' maxed an army out at 15-20 models for tournament level, I wouldn't be mad - figure a leader, a couple squads, a couple heavy hitters. 

Give the developers a chance :)

I'm going to give them a chance :P. I'm just saying I would be very sceptical to a company level game at 28 mm, a little sceptical to platoon level. If it ends up being 6-15 mm I immediately more interested. Giant robots/monster can actually be giant then without looking like they are standing on a postage stamp when you deploy them on the tabletop. Titans in Epic = Awesome. Titans in 40k = Eye-roll.

• Like 5

I think the most interesting bit about this will be people using the through the breach stuff to send players back to earth and have it be worse than Malifaux.

I will reserve my judgment until we get all the details, but I typically shy away from larger games, and I've been playing Malifaux for so long I don't think I have the heart to pick up something else. :P

• Like 2

I think the most interesting bit about this will be people using the through the breach stuff to send players back to earth and have it be worse than Malifaux.

THIS

• Like 1

I actually think this has a lot of potential. I'm hoping for about 20/30 models as an average. I don't think that massive armies would suit me do to painting restrictions. However I love the more army like feel of it! Reading the short fluff on the Black Powder Wars I am even more excited!

Thinking of armies based upon nations with Magical as well as Steampunky armory in a setting that is alternate earth baesd makes me squeal in excitement! Im picturing Cthulhu-like cults as fully fledged armies fighting against British Royal Guard with some gentlemen mages helping along.

Sorry, my imagination went haywire there, but thats my hope and (based on what I've seen) idea.

• Like 2

I actually think this has a lot of potential. I'm hoping for about 20/30 models as an average. I don't think that massive armies would suit me do to painting restrictions. However I love the more army like feel of it! Reading the short fluff on the Black Powder Wars I am even more excited!

Thinking of armies based upon nations with Magical as well as Steampunky armory in a setting that is alternate earth baesd makes me squeal in excitement! Im picturing Cthulhu-like cults as fully fledged armies fighting against British Royal Guard with some gentlemen mages helping along.

Sorry, my imagination went haywire there, but thats my hope and (based on what I've seen) idea.

Also this.

• Like 1

Looks like you got your likes back finally Crush_Jansen.

I wonder what Germany and Russia will be like because Wyrd tends to love using there myths.

• Like 1

Those are just mutated penguins.

So one of the factions is confirmed to be Antarctica!

• Like 1