Looking for desert board assistance plz...

Mooseking

Hi y'all,

I am very new to Malifaux and I was wondering what the table surface looks like that you play on?

This is because I have invested (not much money to be honest) in some wild west buildings made from MDF. I would like to either get a game mat of cobblestones which is very easy and quite cheap -or- make a 3x3 board of deserty looking wild west.

I don't know how good wild west buildings will look on cobblestones - Im imagining not too good... :(

so

Does anyone have a good recipe for a desert board please? Is pva glued sand and a few colours of paint the best way forward? If so what colours and what order to paint them in?

Hope my ramblings make sense, thanks  ;)

Moose

• Like 1

If you're looking for something simple use and easy on the models (and can afford it) I'd get the gaming mat.  Clear off a space to play, roll out the mat and done.  If you've got the space, time and ability then it's a simple matter to cut up some foam board, slap some glue and sand down and paint it up.  You can get colors matched from your local hardware store to your favorite paint colors.  I'd stick with medium and light brown and tans.  The difficult part will be getting the glue, sand and paint on the boards, so you'll need some drop cloths.

I have built these desert tables

Side1.jpg

and

Round3VonSchilllurkingthruthemines.jpg

using the following recipe.

The base material is thin fiber board type material, the type typically used in drawer bottoms (smooth on one side dimpled and "hairy" on the other). Generally about an 1/8" thick (usually available in 4' x 8' sheets). Everything adheres better if you use the rough side up though it does make the board a bit prone to sliding.

The elevations were created with 1" Blue insulation foam cut with a hot wire knife and sculpted with a metal wire brush. You can just as easily use the open or closed cell White foam stuff available at craft stores also (as long as its based and sealed utilizing the method below you shouldn't have to worry about it chipping). To ease transitions and create "rock faces" I used drywall mud (it is thinner than Spackle) and a big loose ball of tin foil (for pressing features into the rock faces).

The next step is to mix 1 part play ground sand to 1 part Wood Glue to 2 parts Oil based "PVA" Drywall Primer paint (in white). This is mixed until it has a "cream of wheat" consistency. Paint it on heavy in one direction then walk away for a few hours while it dries. Paint a second heavy layer perpendicular to the first layer and let that dry (a day or so). It primes, seals the foam and textures all at the same time and you dont have to worry about the sand coming loose during play. This is a really durable surface (I used it on my home climbing wall for texture).

The last step is to color and further protect the playing surface. Apply a 2-3 layers of Minwax Polyshade (http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/preparation/minwax-polyshades#Colors) (or comparable wood stain and sealer product) in your favorite color (I prefer the American Chestnut). This provides a slightly flexible but very durable water proof layer to the textured surface. It is very difficult to damage the surface during normal (or even heavy use). The best part is that it will apply a base tint plus shades and highlights all in one application.

The sides are just a few layers of colored Duct tape.

If you want something more modular in nature (or just smaller sections for storage) like the bottom image, you can also use Floor tiles for the base material instead of the fiber board (just be sure to turn them upside down).

Either of these will also take static grass very well (I have several other boards that I have done that show what it looks like with that as well).

The board you see in that picture was done in about 2 hours of actual time (3 days with drying time). I made 6 tables for a tournament in about the same time using this method as well.

Hopefully that helps you out a bit.

• Like 1

What kind of attribute do you want for the board? Do you want built in hill and rock formations like Omenbringer's board or do you want something flat? For something flat I would probably use 1'x1' 3mm MDF tiles with 1'x1' cork tiles glued on top. I'd then carve some irregularities, like a dry river bed or roads, into the cork. Watered down PVA would go on next with some very fine ballast (sand, dirt, grit, whatever you like). Then primer and paint. I'd probably prime the boards a dark tan, then use an airbrush to apply several lighter layers (or just successively lighter dry brush coats) until I was happy with the result. Seal the entire thing.

Thanks for all your prompt replies, you guys are awesome :)

I am looking for a flat board I think - I like the idea of PVAing sand etc and then doing a painting exercise.

But as I was typing this I paused to look at another mat pattern in the store that has cobblestone mats: http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-3-x3-badlands-theme - I think this would be a good, cheap starting point and the Old West MDF buildings will look at home on it.

I will have to mull this over until payday - but once again thanks for the replies... :)

We got a bag of sand mixed with cement when fixing up the backyard a few years ago.  I mixed it up with cheap acrylic from the Dollar Store and it's made for a miraculously durable play surface.  I painted it on two pieces of 18" x 36" particle board with a wooden frame around it to keep it from warping.  It stores under the couch and was pretty cheap too.

Thanks for all your prompt replies, you guys are awesome :)

I am looking for a flat board I think - I like the idea of PVAing sand etc and then doing a painting exercise.

But as I was typing this I paused to look at another mat pattern in the store that has cobblestone mats: http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-3-x3-badlands-theme - I think this would be a good, cheap starting point and the Old West MDF buildings will look at home on it.

I will have to mull this over until payday - but once again thanks for the replies... :)

A mat is easier to store in a small home and travels much easier as well.

• Like 1

For a flat board you could glue a wallpaper with a raised structure and paint it in the color you like, it is easy to highlight, and it is easy to move around, sand a pva can get heavy.

strukturtapeter.jpg

This is the kind of structural wallpaper I mean.

This is the end result, a bit darker then the standard desert I know, but hopefully you see what I mean with high-lightning and such.

gallery_85424_10884_20489.jpg

/C

• Like 2