Emissaries art are out

D_acolyte

Well, all of the emissaries are 50mm bases, and Ht 3.  So they sort of have to be a bit of a giant.  :)  They won't be too giant because that's only Ht 3 (compared to Ht4 like the Rail Golem).   Just Whiskey Golem/Ice Golem height.  :huh:

I meant that he looks like a normal-sized guy with normal-sized equipment except everything needs to be giant because he is Ht 3. He has giant boots with giant buckles, giant coat with giant buttons and a giant chain wrapped around his waist. He looks like a 54mm mini amongst 28mm minis.

Not sure what the problem for Brutal is, if he was 54mm, with a 28mm chain, tools, etc he'd look silly.  The model in the cage shows his giant status.

The Carrion, Arcane & Shadowy (although Dragons should be big!) have nothing to add scale to them

Not sure what the problem for Brutal is, if he was 54mm, with a 28mm chain, tools, etc he'd look silly.  The model in the cage shows his giant status.

The Carrion, Arcane & Shadowy (although Dragons should be big!) have nothing to add scale to them

I think that his size should show somehow. Try taking a 54mm mini and using it as a "giant" in a 28mm environment. It'll look wrong in various ways (well, if it is vaguely human - robots and beasts and such can work). There should be hints about him being big. Also, where does he get his boots? Does he make them himself?
  • Like 1

Also, the more I look at him, the more I'm bothered by the pose. It's utterly weird. And the sword being in front of his coat is, as far as I can tell, simply impossible yet there it is. OTOH these are things that can't be translated to a 3D mini so at least it'll be better than this art in that regard.

• Like 1

I think that his size should show somehow. Try taking a 54mm mini and using it as a "giant" in a 28mm environment. It'll look wrong in various ways (well, if it is vaguely human - robots and beasts and such can work). There should be hints about him being big. Also, where does he get his boots? Does he make them himself?

Hints like what? Like a human in a cage? Where do other Giants get their boots? They don't all walk around barefoot in loincloths. I really fail to see why his size is an issue even after reading your comments....he looks fine to me.

Also, the more I look at him, the more I'm bothered by the pose. It's utterly weird. And the sword being in front of his coat is, as far as I can tell, simply impossible yet there it is. OTOH these are things that can't be translated to a 3D mini so at least it'll be better than this art in that regard.

His right leg is extended behind him. If you stand up and take that pose yourself (I just did) and imagine the coat behind you, you can see that the sword could indeed be in front of the coat. I think part of that problem is that the perspective is slightly off....his right foot should be a little smaller to show that it is back.

Hints like what? Like a human in a cage? Where do other Giants get their boots? They don't all walk around barefoot in loincloths. I really fail to see why his size is an issue even after reading your comments....he looks fine to me.

Have you ever put a 54mm scale human next to a 28mm scale one? Do you see any problems there or does the 54mm make for a nice giant? 

His right leg is extended behind him. If you stand up and take that pose yourself (I just did) and imagine the coat behind you, you can see that the sword could indeed be in front of the coat. I think part of that problem is that the perspective is slightly off....his right foot should be a little smaller to show that it is back.

I don't know which amazes me more - the fact that you can take that pose or that you (of all people) don't see anything much wrong with the pic...

Seriously, the more I look at the more the anatomy bothers me.

Have you ever put a 54mm scale human next to a 28mm scale one? Do you see any problems there or does the 54mm make for a nice giant? 

I don't know which amazes me more - the fact that you can take that pose or that you (of all people) don't see anything much wrong with the pic...

Seriously, the more I look at the more the anatomy bothers me.

The 54mm/28mm question doesn't answer the question. You said there should be hints. Like what? What would make it more acceptable to you.

For the record, I didn't say there was nothing wrong with the pic. I did mention that I thought the perspective is off. I also think the legs are a little short compared to the torso (I think it's the lack of hips)....but I can see what the artist was going for....and when the digital sculptor (hopefully) uses anatomy measurements to make sure those things are accurate it should turn out alright. The pose is possible for certain.

Wait.. The legs are all wrong.. :D now that looks really weird. I didn't really focus on the pose as much as the sword and the head.. But yeah. That is seriously a weird pose.

I actually at first though that the legs were supposed be like goat legs with the weird tip-toe thing and the super weird pose.

The 54mm/28mm question doesn't answer the question. You said there should be hints. Like what? What would make it more acceptable to you.

I would make, e.g., the boots work differently. Not have a giant strap affixed with a giant buckle but rather something else. And the chains could be less like anchor chains from a ship. And there could be details that suggest the size other than the cage.

But I am fully willing to accept that other people hold a different opinion on this and I'm not going to say that they are stupid and wrong or anything.

For the record, I didn't say there was nothing wrong with the pic. I did mention that I thought the perspective is off. I also think the legs are a little short compared to the torso (I think it's the lack of hips)....but I can see what the artist was going for....and when the digital sculptor (hopefully) uses anatomy measurements to make sure those things are accurate it should turn out alright. The pose is possible for certain.

Aye, I agree that the model is unlikely to be this weird (also, what's up with the casket? It just ends?)

What's your opinion of how the Rail Golem looks standing next to Mei Feng's crew?

The Rail Golem is a robot and doesn't have clothes, so doesn't really have similar problems. Also, it's holding a piece of rail thus showing the golem's size quite nicely.

That said, I think that Rail Golem is one of the weaker Wyrd sculpts.

• Like 1

Regarding art spoilers in printed work:

Printed?

I think he meant stuff like Chronicles.  For instance the Ice Dancer art was spoiled in a Chronicles earlier this year (possibly even just before the wave 3 beta, can't remember by now).  The Arcane Emissary was also spoiled a long time ago in a Chronicles, on the cover I think.  Oxfordian Mages were also in a Chronicles before book 2 was released with their art.  And there are many other examples that could be brought forth if my memory worked better.

Perhaps not "printed" by traditional standards of paper and ink, but perhaps you could say "published" instead.

Yes there are definitely flaws in the art, the pose being key here. That twist at the waist must be painful! And why are you carrying around half a coffin? We should see the other end poking up above his coat near the second dangling chain.

I do disagree about the scale issue though. This guy was a puppet previously grown by the power of the event. Why wouldn't his clothing also grow?

If anything the Hodgepodge turning from a puppet to "a real boy!" is stranger. As are the Mysterious and Shadowy Emissaries. Why didn't Lucky grow either?

I just saw this today as well.  I don't get all the hate for the Outcasts one, I think it is awesome and I got more of a creepy/bizzare vibe from it than a comical one like the gremlin one has.  Maybe that is because I know what it is supposed to represent, I guess to a bystander it is just an old man riding a donkey but I also like this idea.  I imagine someone meeting the Hodgepodge on a road out in the middle of nowhere thinking its just some old man traveling, and then inexplicably, Bad Things Happen...

I love the Gremlin and Neverborn ones as well which is good because they are the factions I play besides Outcasts.

The Arcanists one is neat, I think does a decent job considering how disparate the themes in that factions crews are.

The Dragon is also neat but I think will require a good paint job because otherwise he is pretty boring.

The Ressur and Guild ones are pretty much what I was expecting.  Nothing wrong with that but meh.

I don't see how scale/anatomy can be an issue on magical construct/creature thingies born from dolls and magic.  There is no real rhyme or reason to their existance in the first place so why nitpick things like their clothes and body structure.  I guess there could be issues with the human in the cage being a silly size in comparison to other models in the range but provided that isn't an issue I don't see the problem.

Silly question, but is there anywhere I can go to learn more about the Emissaries, or what they did in the beta? I love the concept art, especially for Carrion, but I have no idea how any of them play. In particular I'm curious how Carrion worked with Nicodem in the Beta? 

Aside from that, these all look great aside from the issues with the Guild and Outcast ones already mentioned. I agree that Brutal in the art just looks weird, and I seriously hope the model works better. 

Well they should be in the new book Shifting Loyalties. If someone around you ordered that during Gencon. It'll be released next month though? I think. 

Shifting Loyalties' street date is Aug 28th according to the news letter.

Thanks guys, I thought they were gonna be in Shifting Loyalties but wasn't sure. Sadly I didn't grab one on the store while it was up but I'm gonna get my store to order one when they become available. Looks like I'll be getting Carrion too.