Emissaries art are out

D_acolyte

I think these will grow on me once I see some actual renders and plastic.  But my initial response is honestly a little tepid.  Might just be because I love my old Avatars so much though, that competing with those as legal proxies is hard.

I think the Mysterious Emissary looks at home next to things like Bad Juju, Silurids and Waldgiests of which I only associate one of those with Lilith. Yes Lilith loves the Waldgiests, but a lot of swampy muck creatures tend to go with Zoraida aesthetic. Now if you are used to seeing Zoraida as a gremlin or with a lot of non swamp fiend models then it probably does not invoke Zoraida to you. For a centerpiece model that is supposed to go with anyone and the fact multiple upgrades lets it go with anyone I believe that having one aesthetic more prevalent than any other is an issue. I like how it looks, unlike Bad Juju.

This is why the Resur's works as it mimics no ones aesthetic but rather a stylization of the faction symbol or the Arcane Emissary that works to incorporate most of the aesthetic notes, beast like appearance, construct heavy and elemental dynamic (arms and blue fire)

You can't say the Arcataur will look better with Colette than Nevergroot will do with Collodi or the Dreamer. After all, it looks kind of nightmarish and... is made of wood?

Plus... respect the Juju! It might not look great out of the box, but it is an amazing piece once painted!

When I first saw the Arcane Emissary, I knew Arcanists would have the coolest looking emissary.

Looking at them all now, I was not wrong.  :D

They all look pretty cool and thematic, don't get me wrong, but you can't beat a flaming blue mech-otaur.  The Carrion was the only other one I was really worried about, since I play Ressers too, so I'm happy he turned out well.  I hope the other factions like theirs.  :)

The Carrion and Brutal are head (no pun intended) and shoulders above the rest IMHO.

Next tier are the Lucky, Hodgepodge, and Mysterious. Only reason I don't put the Hodgepodge on top is 'cause I think it's a bit goofy compared to the outcast mostly bleak look.

Not very impressed with generic dragon and never really liked the minotaur...

Here are my picks:

Tier 1: Carrion and Brutal.  Both of these ooze character and I really like how they're kind of a stylized (and badass!) version of the faction symbol.

Tier 2: Shadow and Mysterious.  Really like both of these too, especially since they seem to fit the feel of their parent factions.

Tier 3: Arcane and Lucky.  I've always thought this Arcane was a cool piece of artwork, but was more or less ambivalent overall.  I feel the same about Lucky, and I swear we've seen this artwork already!  Just can't place where I've seen it.

Tier 4: Hodgepodge.  Honestly, this is the only one I don't like.  It fits the theme of Outcast (you can just see this guy wandering around), but I had a much different image of him in mind.  More like the Dark Wander from Diablo 2; I wanted him to fit the wandering theme but also be menacing at the same time, so approaching the wanderer was risky.  I may try to source the metal Hamelin avatar to fill in for the Hodgepodge Emissary.

...why a Donkey? I may have to mod up an old Avatar...that's rather ridiculous.

And the Shadow Emissary is just...well, no thought in that one.  Both are a pity, as I rather like the Hodgepodge and Shadow Effigies.  

Mysterious and Brutal Emissaries are well done, as are the Lucky and Carrion (though the latter two are a bit below the former two).

The Arcane Emissary is...uh...okay, sure.  I'll be interested in seeing the fluff on why it's a bull - that aesthetic hasn't really seemed to be a "thing" for the Arcanists that I can see.

I only just found this thread and these pics - late to the party!

The one I like the least is Brutal. Mostly because it's a huge giant in a gigantic Guild uniform. It's just weird. The donkey is also absolutely bizarre but I still like it more. Carrion looks human-sized based on those instruments unless they are gigantic (which would be weird). Otherwise it looks nice. I really like Lucky and Mysterious - the best ones of the bunch IMO. Arcane is ok as is Shadowy.

Yep. They throw sneak peeks into all their printed work, you just have to look ;)

Printed?

I forget which ones specifically, but the Komainu comes to mind immediately in the Crossroads book in McCabe's upgrades. Unreleased artwork for models finds its way into everything. You just have to make the connection.

Huh? Komainu have the pic in their card entry in the book and they come in the same book as McCabe. It's the exact same pic in both places (except mirrored as they like to do to keep things fresh :P). That isn't something I would consider hidden or else all the big pics in the book are "hidden".

I only just found this thread and these pics - late to the party!

The one I like the least is Brutal. Mostly because it's a huge giant in a gigantic Guild uniform. It's just weird. The donkey is also absolutely bizarre but I still like it more. Carrion looks human-sized based on those instruments unless they are gigantic (which would be weird). Otherwise it looks nice. I really like Lucky and Mysterious - the best ones of the bunch IMO. Arcane is ok as is Shadowy.

Well, all of the emissaries are 50mm bases, and Ht 3.  So they sort of have to be a bit of a giant.  :)  They won't be too giant because that's only Ht 3 (compared to Ht4 like the Rail Golem).   Just Whiskey Golem/Ice Golem height.  :huh: