Doctor Is In - Guild McMourning Help

PanzerHarris

So I need to ask some help with Guild McMourning...

Having set myself the task of getting to grips with all 7 Guild Masters for the UK Nationals, I've managed that with 6 of them. Ironically the one I can't figure out is one of the strongest (on paper), the doc himself. 

I think the biggest problem I have with him is how to treat him. Is he a Master along the lines of Lady Justice, who essentially has one focus and the crew is picked to cope accordingly? Or should he be set up to deal with potentially anything and everything, and his crew supports him? 

In order to take advantage of his poison shenanigans, Nurse(s), Sebastian and the Chihuahua all need to come in, which is a fair old chunk of stones. If you want to get the most out of him, and the speed he's renowned for and the poison he kicks out, at least one of them should be in the crew. But then you need to use resources to ensure they can keep up with him as he pushes around the table, which takes away from the rest of the crew trying to achieve schemes... 

So yeah. I guess my question is, what crew builds do you guys use with him and how do you play him? Just after some ideas to build from! 

• Like 1

I've not played the crew myself but I hear that Performers work wonders with the good doctor if you want to merc them in. Also Nurse Heartsbane (who was previewed today) has some potential for movement shenanigans with him by pushing friendlies 6 inches.

Don't build for poison, it doesn't work very well in guild. You get more out of him handing out precise and interacts. That said, take nurses, they are fantastic, especially with witchlings. If he's going to expunge someone it'll probably be through rancid transplant with the plastic surgery aura up.

As a side note it's really hard posting on mobile at the moment, i can't see what I'm typing.

Poison is fantastic but you don't need to worry about or build around it. Sebastian and Chihuahua are plenty along with McM himself. Nurses are amazing but they don't really do Poison - don't even try unless the circumstances are extraordinary. Try to only do Take Your Meds with them.

As for McM himself - he isn't as straightforward as Lady Justice and isn't quite as powerful except against heavily armored stuff. He is really, really good in some Schemes (Plant Explosives is a bit trivial with him) and he can give quite a bit to his crew.

He is a lot of fun and quite capable though I would still rank him amongst the weaker Guild Masters.

Tried Guild McMourning again yesterday evening. 

Dosing him up with Poison does give him a lot of extra mobility through Plastic Surgery (5" push whenever he takes Poison damage, which he does on activation with a nearby Sebastian, and again at the end of the turn). He was up against Lilith and even she was tearing her hair out trying to pin him down! 

The Rancid Transplant / Plastic Surgery (all models within 3" gain Undead) combo is fantastic if the enemy clumps up. Had Lilith on Poison 12 after 2 castings and some very sorry looking Terror Tots nearby. If McMourning is running low on Wounds though, you need to use the Ml attack instead to heal back up, and that's only Ml6 as opposed to Ca7. With my card luck, that's a problem. 

It was an interesting discussion after the Doc went down T4. Everyone was saying how shocked they were he'd actually died. I can't seem to stop him getting killed.

I'm going to try him out as a support master for a couple of games, as people have suggested here. Handing out Precise and generating scheme markers instead of focussing on damage output. Not like Guild are lacking for big hitters who can benefit from that...

Out of interest what did the rest of your crew look like?

I played my second game with guild McM the other day fired him off like a missile towards my opponent where he died a glorious death at the claws of a steam arachnid swarm. I couldnt seem to get the poison engine going and found myself having to segregate any of my own models id used injection on so they wouldnt take damage activating near McM or Sebastien. On a positive note I found he adds a lot to the executioner and giving hard to wound with a guild lawyer also was excellent.

We were playing Turf War, flank deployment, and I went for Assassinate on Lilith and unannounced Breakthrough. 

McMourning - Evidence Tampering, On the Clock, Plastic Surgery

Zombie Chihuahua

Sebastian

Nurse

Pale Rider

Performer

The Judge

Watcher 

Used McMourning to kill the two Waldgeists and force Lilith to commit. She got him eventually but not before he'd got the Geists for me and Expunged her down to 2W for Judge to finish off with Bound by Law. 

Pale Rider dealt with a pair of Young Nephilim whilst laying down markers. 

Chihuahua was hilarious running around piddling on models that then found themselves too close to Sebastian. Funny how that works... 

Got too spread out trying to contain the Neverborn so lost a Turf War point and consequently the game 9-10.