Buy list for a new Marcus player

BlitzMonkey

I just got a buddy of mine hooked on Marcus (and the game in general). 

In terms of being a new Arcanist player/Marcus player, what would be some stuff I should suggest for him to get?  He has the base crew for Marcus obviously and is eyeballing Rasputina.

I've suggested out of faction beasts obviously for Marcus as well (canine remains, etc). 

Thanks!

The basic Marcus box is good for a few strats/schemes, but what it really lacks is some cheap fast Scheme runners/fillers.

Canine Remains are my favorite first addition. They're quick, 'semi-durable', and have some nice synergy with a Marcus crew.

Molemen aren't bad either....though I find that without something else to help them they struggle to get much farther than the half way line during the game.

Silurids are virtually auto include in you have Deliver Message, Break Through, Plant Evidence, Plant Explosives, etc....anything like that.

Waldgeists are awesome for tanking and controlling up to the center line....their 4" engagement range shuts down a lot of things.

Blessed of December is probably one of my favorites....there are very few lists I run that don't include one....but very difficult to find.

Get all of the beasts. All of them. Every last one. Marcus needs his furry, feathered, scaled, and/or slimy friends and they all need the good home that Marcus can provide them. Marcus' Magnificent Menagerie is the only no-kill shelter in all of Malifaux. Save a Silurid and adopt today!

• Like 2

I'm keenly anticipating the plastic Rasputina stuff (silent ones/blessed of December/snowstorm) if for no other reason than a plastic Blessed for Marcus.

If you're sticking to plastics (which is what I'm doing) December Acolytes and Silurids are a great place to start. There's also a lot to be said for a Dawn Serpent and Rogue Necromancy. You also can't go wrong with Joss and Mechanical Rider in any Arcanist list.

Already, you're getting lots of different opinions. None of them are wrong. Marcus works great with so many things, you'll never get bored playing him. Someone once said Marcus is a faction and I agree.

I have all the toys, and I try them all at one point or another. My best advice is to get what the box needs first...which is what I mentioned earlier. Then pick up all the other things in order of personal preference.

• Like 1

I'd actually slightly disagree with dgraz, since I don't value canine remains as highly as he does.

1.) Marcus box set obviously.

2.) Waldgeists gives you some serious staying power, which is very different to the contents of the box set. No other beast comes close to filling this niche as well as waldgeists.

3.) Something fast and schemy. There's 3 options, and I rank them Silurid, Molemen then Canine remains, but any one of the three will do. 

Those three boxes are a hair under $100, and they'll cover you for a lot of different strategies and schemes. 

After those, something big and different like the rogue necromancy, the dawn serpent or the blessed of december makes a great choice (short term, you can get away without them while mastering how to make Cojo and the Cerberus shine).

• Like 1

I'd actually slightly disagree with dgraz, since I don't value canine remains as highly as he does.

1.) Marcus box set obviously.

2.) Waldgeists gives you some serious staying power, which is very different to the contents of the box set. No other beast comes close to filling this niche as well as waldgeists.

3.) Something fast and schemy. There's 3 options, and I rank them Silurid, Molemen then Canine remains, but any one of the three will do.

And that's one of the great things about this game. There is no 'go online and find the best combo'. My way works for me, and I may be a big Marcus fan that posts in just about every Marcus thread that comes up....but that doesn't make me the best....just a loud mouth :D

In my first post I listed 5 things that I think are great initial buys....I rank them all pretty close together for usefulness. I put Canines at the top of the list due to what they do for the price. No, they can't beat Silurids at scheming, but you can have almost two Canines for the price of one Silurid...and I rank Activation Control pretty high.

I think most 'themey' Marcus players will agree that Silurids, Waldgeists, Molemen, and Canines are all great initial buys. Play-style differences will determine where those things fall in a personal ranking system.

Yep!  And I love that about the game as well.  We arent going for the best units, just opinions on what would be good buys.  He is going to hold off on Waldgeists and Silurids since I have them to borrow for now.  He will be picking up Canines for sure and Molemen, I believe. 

• Like 1

Good choice. On their own, molemen are good but not amazing, but with either a canine or silurid buddy, they're much more useful.

So speaking of Molemen, I have a couple but have never really used them. I keep hearing how awesome they are but can't really see what they do that is so awesome. Could someone clear up what the big deal with Molemen is?

So speaking of Molemen, I have a couple but have never really used them. I keep hearing how awesome they are but can't really see what they do that is so awesome. Could someone clear up what the big deal with Molemen is?

They have amazing mobility once you have a few scheme markers out. You have the Silurid or Canine go first (Silurids are actually better for this with Leap)....Leap, drop Scheme Marker, move....then the Mole can (0) Tunnel right to the Scheme Marker, move, and drop another. Great for Plant Explosives. You can't keep them engaged if there's a scheme marker within 8". With their other (0) they become a little more survivable for holding a position. 

That's a couple things. I'm sure there's more....but honestly I don't rate them too high personally and they don't make it into many of my lists. Many people have great success with them, but I don't think my play-style really supports them.

They have amazing mobility once you have a few scheme markers out. You have the Silurid or Canine go first (Silurids are actually better for this with Leap)....Leap, drop Scheme Marker, move....then the Mole can (0) Tunnel right to the Scheme Marker, move, and drop another. Great for Plant Explosives. You can't keep them engaged if there's a scheme marker within 8". With their other (0) they become a little more survivable for holding a position. 

That's a couple things. I'm sure there's more....but honestly I don't rate them too high personally and they don't make it into many of my lists. Many people have great success with them, but I don't think my play-style really supports them.

Ah, ok. I could see them actually working out decently in a Collette crew.

Their mobility becomes ridiculous once there's a few scheme markers, since it's a place. They're also by far the most resilient of the scheme runners, with armour +2 on a 4SS model.

If you have practiced production in a list, molemen can also be very effective defensive schemers, an underrated specialty (position the practiced production scheme marker so they can remove enemy scheme markers each turn).

They're also by far the most resilient of the scheme runners, with armour +2 on a 4SS model.

Metal Gamin corner the 'tough 4ss model' market. But I agree that their mobility is crazy once it's set up....it's the setting it up part that breaks my play-style.

And I hate Colette so I wouldn't know about that :[

Molemen are fun to run with Colette.  Two walks and an Interact is perfect for Tunneling.

But I've not usually had a problem chaining two Molemen together and drawing a line of scheme markers across the board.  Maybe not in Corner Deployment, but I've had them in my opponent's deployment zone scoring Power Ritual and Breakthrough before in Standard with only one marker not dropped by them (Marcus dropped it Turn 1 after a single Walk for 8", although I use Myranda for that, too).

I also use them if I have to hold an area, since they have a (0) that prevents them from being moved or pushed and gives them bonus Df.  I'm also fond of their Df trigger, as most weak damage directed their way can be reduced to 0 from Armor.

• 1 year later...
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 5:25 PM, Guslado said:

Get all of the beasts. All of them. Every last one. Marcus needs his furry, feathered, scaled, and/or slimy friends and they all need the good home that Marcus can provide them. Marcus' Magnificent Menagerie is the only no-kill shelter in all of Malifaux. Save a Silurid and adopt today!

As long as you don't ask me to spay or neuter a cojo.

• Like 1