Play mats for Malifaux

gonzo917

Those mats look really cool but I haven't seen one in person yet and I was wondering exactly what sort of material these are made of. The site says they are printed on high quality matte vinyl sheet but doesn't mention what the thickness is or what the surface texture is like. I would love to see an up close photo of the edge of one of these mats with a mini for scale.

I have seen the mats in person, as a friend of mine owns several. They're printed on vinyl sheets and are thicker than paper, but thinner than construction board used in your USPS boxes.

They fold very nicely and easily as well.

The print designs look great, and you can get them with the Malifaux lines on them. I.e. no more measuring for set ups and starting markers.

I'd love to see someone do a series of cobbled street sections for either a whole play-met or in sections you could arrange yourself.  Anyone come across anything like this?  I'd love to do a really dense city-street board similar to the image style of the terraclips stuff - does that make sense?

I also worry about storing mats like this and how easily damaged they can be.  Is it better to glue them to MDF?

I have one of the Mats by Mars mats. The quick review is.. definitely worth the price. It is thin enough that it rolls well (you could fold it too, I suppose, but I'm not interested in finding out if it holds a crease). It is thick enough that I'm not worried about it tearing from an accidental jarring or gouging while being on the table. I've used it for a number of games at various people's homes and it's survived a tournament at the local club just fine. It isn't thick thick, not like vinyl flooring from Home Depot. Think heavy plastic tablecloth, but a bit more sturdy. I believe they sell a carry case now, which wasn't available at the time.

The surface is a little on the shiny side. I was worried about this, it is vinyl after all, but honestly it's not nearly as bad as I was thinking it could be. I don't really notice it while playing.

The strat & scheme lines are basically the best thing ever. You really don't think they're going to be all that when you first hear about it, but the first time you don't have to measure flank deployment you're sold. They're easy to find when you're looking for them but otherwise blend in really well and are unobtrusive.

Final answer, for the price, I'd buy another if I needed it.

I have a mat as well. I agree with Rob Blow that they are worth it. I store mine rolled up in the in the plastic bag and shipping tube it came in. You could probably even attach a strap to it for easy carrying.

They lay flat and even after being rolled up for a couple of weeks, are essentially flat by the time you put a few pieces of terrain on them. I'll see if I can remember to take a picture of the mat the next time I use it for a game. The strat/scheme and deployment lines are visible enough that you can see them, but thin enough that they don't stick out and look odd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have also purchased the mats (used them as prize support).  I also purchased the carrying case, which I can use for other mats.  My personal preference for mats are the ones made from the mousepad material, but I took a stab at these mats since they were recommended a friend.  My only issue is the DPI used for the mats...one turned out really well, the other, not so much.  The lines are very helpful in terms of deployment and knowing where the center is.  

I'm currently on the lookout for more mats, preferably in the US (some companies I looked at were not in the US and shipping to the US was astronomical).  

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried a mat from Dracolupus which worked out nicely but was a bit too big as the mat had extra 6" on two sides for player areas. I'm currently expecting two mats from Mats By Mars and I am really looking forward to it as they are so incredibly beautiful! Was thinking about using the frozen lake one to do a Narnia themed table for Rasputina