Malifaux World Team Championship

GrengisKhan

Hello UK Malifaux scene.

For those that haven’t met me in person yet my name is Greg Piskosz and a few nights ago I was talking with some players in the US about arranging a competition between the best players the UK and US have to offer.

After thinking about this for a little bit I don’t see any reason why the rest of the world should be left out.

Essentially what I’m proposing is the first Malifaux World Team Championship (WTC).

This will be a tournament where each country can enter up to two teams of five players to compete against the teams from the other countries.

Each round will be team vs team and there will be a pairing process where the teams decide which one of their players will face off against someone from the opposing team. If your team wins more games than your opposing team then you win the round. Total team VP diff will be used as a tiebreaker in the event of draws.

I should point out that this is all subject to change, we haven’t got a definite format sorted out yet.

We are currently looking at holding the event in late August/Early September 2016 and it is likely that the WTC will be held in either the UK or the US (New York probably) next year but I would love the WTC to be held in different country year after year.

I want to stress that nothing is certain yet. The reason I’m posting this is to gauge interest, so if you think that you can get a team of five players to travel and represent your country, please post in this thread. When posting could you let me know what country you’re speaking for and I’ll add you to my “interested” list.

I have a method propose with regards to how I believe we should select our team but I shall explain it in more detail in another post. 

Location will be based where the most interest is generated. This may sound unfair but logistics will be a large part of this event and it is far easier to get 2 teams to travel from the US to the UK than it is for 10 teams to travel from Europe to the US for example.

I’m going to leave it at that for the 2-3 weeks before looking at things in more detail (I’m also going to Gencon this year so nothing will happen until after that anyway!).

Just so there isn’t any doubt: Nothing is confirmed yet, this is only an idea. However if enough people want this to happen, then we’ll take serious steps towards making this competition a reality.

Regards

Greg Piskosz 

• Like 1

Hey Greg,

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Would be nice to see the world's Malifaux community come together for an event.

Personally I wouldn't be up to scratch to join a team but it's an event I'd put aside the holiday and money for.

BM
(Haydn)

Sounds cool but I might rethink the late august early September time frame. For one it is basically a direct conflict with the NOVA Open (the current NA championships.). It is also the beginning of the school year meaning that any teachers and students would be out. I'd suggest late June/early July if you were looking at a summer event.

We could actually host this at NOVA.  It is a 4 day event after all and is right by a couple large international airports.

We will also be hosting essentially the exact same event in May 2016 at Bragging Rights... The TO would be happy to let WTC hijack his event and bring in an international element.  It is literally hosted IN an international airport. (The hotel is attached to the terminal.) So flying in for the weekend is not an unreasonable proposition. 

The idea of a August time frame would be that folks are taking vacations anyway, so more people would be willing to travel internationally and make a family vacation out of it, although this is of course not fixed just yet.  I would not have been given clearance for a 3-day weekend playing bloodbowl in Lucca for the world cup if it wasn't part of a two-week family vacation to Tuscany! ;)

My goal would be to have Malifaux WTC not fall in either of the two different traps Warhammer and Bloodbowl fell into.  Warhammer ETC followed absurd FIFA selection rules for countries with loose 'mercenary' rules, so the relation between teams and number of actually players in the local scene was non-existent.  Whereas the Bloodbowl World Cup's lax entry requirement (i.e. none) and the never-changing venue means 80% of the players are from nearby and it loses the international team element to an extent. 

• 2 weeks later...

If the organizers reach out to me, probably could host at nova. If not, as mentioned, might not want to host it at the exact same time as Wyrd's national championship. But we already have the terrain, space, resources, etc to help the prospective organizers make it "pop" without running themselves into a financial hole, etc. Food for thought.