How to win Pandora with Leveticus (or not to be stomped at least)

Count Zero

Hi! I come here for some advice, first of all, forgive my bad English >.<

I've been playing Leveticus for some games, but today I've faced the first "true" game with him and it has been a total mess.

My crew was:

Leveticus

-Pariah of iron

-Survivalist

Alice

-from the Aether

2 waifs

2 necropunks

Johan

Ashes and dust

1 Abomination

5SS

His crew

Pandora

-Voices

-Fears given form

2 sorrow

Barbados

Iggy

Primordial Magic

Bishop

Doppelganger

6SS

Strategy was the new one with the 2 pillars and schemes were ALITS, Entourage, Breakthrough, outflank and distract, both picking and revealing Entourage and breakthrough.

In turn 1 he killed Johan and then, the slaughter started, paralyzing Levy or Alice, making me activate as he pleased, and forcing a lot of WP duels, only achieving 3 points from breakthrough and 1 from strategy.

I seriously felt I can't do nothing since turn 2, and because of that I come here looking for your wisdom with some advices, tricks or something to face her next time.

Thanks!

Tactically, I would suggest:

Don't let Pandora kill Johan, especially early in the game. If your opponent can easily get to him and kill him, then he's too far forward. Screen him with the rest of your crew, he's going to be one of your most important models in this fight.

Know Pandora's threat ranges. She's the scariest thing in that list by far, because of her control abilities - if she paralyses Leveticus that's almost the same as killing him, and you really need him to be doing stuff. She's also tough for Levy (or anyone else) to bring down. However, she can't do everything by herself - kill off her support models, starting with the Doppelganger and Iggy, or just splat the Woes if they get close, and you'll reduce her influence considerably.

Clog up Pandora's gears with Abominations. I'd suggest taking Levy's Desolate Soul upgrade (drop Survivalist, Levy doesn't need it) and turning your opponent's Sorrows into Abominations. Their disruptive auras basically force Pandora to deal with them before she can do much else, which will leave Levy and Alyce free to get down to business. It's also worth noting that the Abominations' Caustic Aura (and A&D's Industrial Age) duels are actually a challenge for Pandora to pass, since she has to use her pathetic Df - you can force a lot of mid-high discards or real damage just by keeping them around her. If she's using Inflict to kill off Abominations, she's not using her AP to paralyse your important models.

Spread out. Pandora can't be everywhere, and she loves it when the enemy are packed together - that's where she can cause maximum carnage. Focus on the objectives, send your Necropunks off to remote areas of the board to score points.

Apply pressure with Ashes & Dust. A&D doesn't care at all about most of Pandora's stuff - it can't be Incited, Paralysed, etc. Cram that dust monster right down her throat so she chokes on it - just try not to leave the Ashen Core in the Misery Zone while the Sorrows are still alive. You don't have to send A&D against Pandora directly - again, chew up her support models first, turning them into Abominations if you can.

For crew selection, I'd suggest looking at Sue - his anti-cast aura is a real PITA for Pandora.

Hope some of that helps - Pandora's very nasty when her killing-engine revs up, but Leveticus is more than capable of pulling key components out of her crew and smashing her up. If you're going up against an experienced Pandora player with a Master you don't know particularly well, you'll probably get crushed for the first few games at least - just make sure you're learning something new about how her crew functions each time, and you'll quickly learn how to pick it apart. Good luck!

• Like 3

Kadeton basically said it right. However, I'd just like to stress what he said - know her ranges. If Pandora isn't in the thick of things, she's REALLY slow. And the more you make her use walk actions, the less impact she has on the game. You can often hang back a bit, then sweep around with stuff away from where she has a real impact. Hang back, then kill linchpin models like sorrows, the doppelganger or widow weaver in decisive strikes if possible.   

• Like 1