Age of Sigmar rules review

Woh woh woh... what are these high end resin kits "on par" that you speak of and where can I get them? ;) lol

The large kits and a lot of the very elaborate ones are beyond what most other companies produce.

I may have been unclear- they definitely make the biggest nice kits (unless you count some japanese stuff that's generally hard to get or even find out about), but yeah, I'd say Mierce is pretty similar level and maybe a little lower from my limited experience, but Arena Rex, Studio McVey, and Kingdom Death are all examples of head and shoulders above Forgeworld's level. FW has some hits, but their averages for both sculpting (I guess a bit subjectively) and their casting (which I can feel a bit more objective on) are way nicer than FW's.

SC - Ah, yes - Kingdom Death - I forgot about them. Hold onto your resins though! I was talking to the creator at Gen Con and he says they are going the route of plastics for the actual game and bye-bye to resin cepts those limited releases... and they aren't as nice looking. :(

Nice to see a fellow Mierce fan too. That Chimera is out of this woooooorld!

Also, if you really think most FW sculpts are just average - I'm guessing you haven't seen a fully assembled Chaos Dwarf Pain Train in person. B) -----> My next year's major project! That whole army is awesome looking even without their big hats.

--------

To remain on topic - I must admit that AoS has revitalized my interest - but only because now I get to put them on 30mm round bases! I thought that they were killing off a majority of the races at first but actually they just lumped them together - that's the only thing I was really worried about. If I couldn't play dwarfs I just wouldn't play the game - I know that sounds dumb and doesn't make sense but that's how I feel - as stubborn as it sounds...

... stubborn as a dwarf even? >8)

Measuring from any part of the model could be interesting with all my conversions... :/

SC - Ah, yes - Kingdom Death - I forgot about them. Hold onto your resins though! I was talking to the creator at Gen Con and he says they are going the route of plastics for the actual game and bye-bye to resin cepts those limited releases... and they aren't as nice looking. :(

That's primarily because KD made a killing on Kickstarter and was able to upgrade.  I'd argue as to "aren't as nice looking" too, as most of the comparison images are favorable to the plastics.  Additionally, the plastic shift allowed for a lot of extra bits to be added in, which comes in handy in a game where equipment is important...or for those of us who have an absurd desire to convert :P

To remain on topic - I must admit that AoS has revitalized my interest - but only because now I get to put them on 30mm round bases! I thought that they were killing off a majority of the races at first but actually they just lumped them together - that's the only thing I was really worried about. If I couldn't play dwarfs I just wouldn't play the game - I know that sounds dumb and doesn't make sense but that's how I feel - as stubborn as it sounds...

... stubborn as a dwarf even? >8)

Measuring from any part of the model could be interesting with all my conversions... :/

The dwarfs actually came out rather well in AoS, from what I can see.  Just flicking through the scrolls, I don't see a lot of "I'd never use these anymore" units, and there's a fair bit of synergy between unit types.

The measuring thing is a bit weird, but ends up not mattering once you get into the thick of things from what I can tell.  

Also, aren't dwarfs going to look extra stunty on 32mm bases? :P

Spectre, never said FW was average. Average when it comes to nice resin is nothing close to average. I just don't consider them top-tier resin.

On KD, yeah, their resins are amazing, but I'm willing to take the hit going to plastic for the price difference. Well, actually, IDK. I kickstarted the game, and don't know if I'd consider buying much past that when looking at the prices...

Also on topic- if AoS had done simple rules, I'd have jumped back in. With the goofy stuff (and all the problems around it) and most importantly without balancing mechanics, I was turned off. A little curious- are you serious re: it being fun to re-base your armies?

What is this "upgrading" from resin to plastic nonsense? ;) I've always felt plastic was company's answer to making the hobby accessible to "your average" hobbyist. Plastic models are my least favorite to work with and I only prefer them for converting purposes.

I never saw no side by sides from KD but I saw the plastics on display at Gen Con in person and can say I definently don't think they look as good. Especially the giant undead vulture thing and that goofy lion king with the penis tail thing - huge difference in depth and detail - they looked less like actual miniatures and more like Descent game pieces.

SC - The only army I still own is Big Hats and now finishing off with filling out my FW Legion of Az. I had a WoC and VC army too but those got sold. I only have to rebase my big hats and I'm more than willing to do so - Big Hat CDs on 20mm squares looks stupid - there might as well not be a base (big bums). I doubt I'll ever play Fantasy again, anyway and I take looks over function every time.

Having the new FW CDs on 30mm rounds is going to be sooooo puuuuuurdy....

.... and no, Loveless, they will finally be able to actually fit comfortably on a base for once. I've mocked up an Infernal Guard unit on the new CMoN chaos bases and it looks sharp as hell. From your attitude, I'm guessing you're one of those snotty elf players. :D

The fact that AoS allows for any kind of bases you want - and it doesn't matter what size - opens up the books to any kind of creative crazy ridiculous basing you can muster (my characters will be getting the royal treatment - I assure you).

Plus, Warmachines have always looked like crap on bases - baseless all the way for the big'uns. B)

any kind of bases you want - and it doesn't matter what size

This always struck me as kind of insane. Crystal-clear RAW is measure from model, not base, so does that mean a small model on a large base...

...is unassailable in melee, since you can't get close enough?

... should have other models stepping on its display base?

... needs to be house ruled as "measure from the edge" to be functional?

Are people really that picky at measuring, though? Lots of times I'll say "I'm going to put my model here - but really I'm there" or a lot of the time I'll just approximate 1-2-3" or whatever and say "I'm this many inches away" if I think that it distance won't have any factor. I'd flip shit if someone tried putting their model on top of mine - if need be I'd simply put it next to the model and say "for all intents and purposes - we are within range" and be done with it.

I'm more concerned with things like cover and blocking or what have you - and in Fantasy/AoS they will be even smaller considerations. This was even the case at Adepticon - "I'm within 1" of hard cover" is better than pulling out that little ruler contraption everytime. Even then you'd be susceptible to a rules lawyer anyway.

A better rule would be to house rule in "If the distance is outside of +/- 1/4 inch - it is still in range" - because of shrapnel effect if you want to get fluffy or what have you.

My concern with measuring is only because my hellcannon is converted inside of a slaughterbrute - which makes it twice the size. :D

I'm also pretty happy with the ruleset honestly - some people say that it is simple but simple is easy to get into. A game like Malifaux, for example, has waaaaaaaay too much stuff going on and can be (is) overly complicated. I remember playing a couple games of M1E and just said "screw it - too much stuff to read on too many different things" - its like playing a blind game everytime you play a new master. It's like just starting WoW for the first time and everyone is already lvl 80 on 5 alts. Not to mention that you are going to suck with every new master you play until 3-5 games or more are played. M2E is streamlined but man is there ever still a ton of stuff going on. Your "average gamer" will be overwhelmed and become dismissive of it pretty quick. It takes a special kind of person to play a game like Malifaux. It will definently keep you interested but its not very appealing for new people - especially when you are losing to stuff you just didn't know about (the "gotcha" situation) - that gets old fast.

A steep learning curve is just as unfacilitating as a low one. I'm more than willing to actually give the game a real chance before bashing the hell out of it on theory alone. At the very least, it is a potential option if I'm feeling lazy and just want to have a good time.

When we first started pulling models out of their cases, I asked my gaming buddies, "Okay, are we ignoring the silly grumbling and dancing rules, or is it just me ignoring all that stuff?" Give me some board game where that kind of stuff was the basis of the game and... maybe I'd play, if it caught my eye. Maybe. But it's nothing I want to have anything to do with these miniatures. Just can't get around that, and have stopped trying. Once we left that stuff behind and played the rest of the game, it was a decently fun afternoon.

And when the rules are as loose as what they put out, you just go with whatever works for your friendly group. I had 4 goblins on top of the base of my giant at one point, jamming spears at some rats from between his legs and over top his freaky giant feet. We decided if the bases don't matter, they don't matter.

And on the gotcha thing, I agree it can scare people away easily. I think the new starter set is great for that reason. there's no real gotcha stuff in there. That gives new people time to wrap their heads around the way the game plays. once you have a solid understanding of how things work in general, the crazy stuff goes from being gotcha! to just surprise! Often followed by "He can do that? How cool is that?"

This always struck me as kind of insane. Crystal-clear RAW is measure from model, not base, so does that mean a small model on a large base...

...is unassailable in melee, since you can't get close enough?

... should have other models stepping on its display base?

... needs to be house ruled as "measure from the edge" to be functional?

Bases are irrelevant in AoS - you can land on top of another model's base if there's physical room and there's nothing stopping you from plunking down your Dreadlord right on top of the 120mm round scenic base your opponent built for his Chaos Lord (other than, you know, common courtesy, but at that point you'll have to say "Okay, we're in range and my model is currently in the same spot as the Orc skull on your base...no that one...that one...that one...good Lord man, how many Orcs did you kill?")

Pretty much don't do silly things like try to use your base to extend your combat/target range, because bases don't count