Another Malifaux city board

G3ck0___

Hi,
As many of you I tried my hand in creating my own terrain. I wanted to go for a city feel but at the same time try and make the terrain as modular as possible. It also should be easy to store as compact as possible.
So the idea is to use 9 1by 1 feet tiles, magnetized and if possible tiles will be interchangeable; I will see how that turns out. I imagine some might be swappable but not all.
It should be functioning as my personal playing board and also be usable as a demo board for conventions.

So first of the base plates:

sml_gallery_17827_548_2044677.jpg
9 tiles fitted with 16 magnets each, with each side magnets placed in a ++-- sequence. So all tiles can be rotated and fit any place on the board.

First attempt for the buildings, trying to create some different fronts and backs:
sml_gallery_17827_548_1870291.jpg

sml_gallery_17827_548_423477.jpg

Rooftops:
sml_gallery_17827_548_807533.jpg
So far so good, onto the magnetizing of the building(s). All walls are separate and should be interchangeable as long as they come in paired sets.

First set of buldings:
sml_gallery_17827_548_530650.jpg

sml_gallery_17827_548_2700861.jpg

Next step will be building up the base plates and laying out a pattern.
Already seen some nice things in this thread. (yes looking at you KrazyIvan)

feedback and sugestions are always welcome.

• Like 7

What witchcraft is this?  How are you making those buildings---they are great!  It looks like some plasticard or thin wood for larger parts, and modeling compound for stonework maybe?  Adding all the details to the walls while they are flat and assembling afterwards is something I hadn't thought of, so I learned something already.

Just a quick post.

Thanks for all the nice words. surely inspiring to keep up the work and keep posting.

Had some time to spent so worked on one board plate and start of of a bridge.

Build the base layout of one tile and added the base colors.

sml_gallery_17827_548_587333.jpg

And here is the start of a bridge.

sml_gallery_17827_548_424801.jpg

Hope you guys and girls like it.

• Like 2

The buildings are made of foamcore as its basic material. Added whatever I could find to enhance.

• For the facades I had to fit the magnets into the foamcore which posed a problem because it's not a strong material.

To make a strong bond :

I first drilled a hole (more ore less halfway through to the oter side). filled the hole with waterd down PVA glue to harden the material around the place where the magnets will be.

When dry I filled the holes with green stuff and put in the magnets, glueing them with my regular metal glue to the green stuff and at the same time making sure the magnets are leveld with the surface. I pushed in some more greenstuff then required to form a bigger blob of greenstuff then the size of the hole fitting the magnet.

• For the side pannels I sealed the sides with some wood. This was also the material for putting the magnets down, again leveling them with the surface.

For my next building I will probably start with a base of  hardboard. I think It would be more durable and easier to put in the magnets. Did not test this theory yet so cannot really compare. This on the other hand would make the buildings heavier and I think I might prefer the lighter material when I need to transport the table/buildings a lot.

You mind posting some pics showing how you magnetized the building components?

just tried to take a pic of the inserted magnets but my mobile phone couldn't realy focus and provide a good quality pic. I'll try again later with some real light.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really liking this! Personally I'd want to see a bit of a grimy wash over everything just to give it a dark effect, but it's looking great!

Agree, The houses are too bright. Personally I would like to go for a dusk look and feel. Now I only need to figure out how to do that.

This is not simply putting a wash  of a darker color over it because different colors behave different when it gets darker. Looking into that.

Also I feel that the houses need a more steampunk feel. Some more iron, brass, ... maybe some mechanical constructions. Thinkering about that for some time now, so suggestions are always welcome. 

Army painter Strong Tone ink through an airbrush in an even layer will darken the whole thing without changing the color too much. If that's too dark you could do the same thing with Soft Tone ink. Doing it through an airbrush will avoid pooling and will allow you to control just how much ink is applied. Alternatively you could use the same stuff to simply add more gradient shading as appropriate to get a dirty effect.

Weathering powder would probably work as well.

• Like 1