We're currently updating the site and a few things may run slow or not as expected at the moment. Give us a day or two to get everything sorted out and changed up if you would.

One of the new things you'll see about are the 'sticky notes' which you will occasionally see from the site Admins if something important shows up or is newsworthy, or if you happen to be in one of our many beta testing groups giving you an additional heads up when something new needs to be looked at or sorted.

You can send these amongst yourselves as well if you wish, just don't abuse it. 

Thanks for your patience!

Nathan Caroland Nathan Caroland
crush_jansen

Is there Malifaux Canon fluff for Earthside?

Looking to write. Need cultural and world events information for what it's like Earthside, since it's alternate history. Is there official fluff?

Please link if there is.

edonil   

Um. Far as I know, there isn't all that much. Through the Breach might have some details, but basically the interpretation I've operated under (including while writing for Crossroads) is that you don't see the timeline diverge too much until the opening of the First Breach. Before that, magic was real and possible but it became more and more difficult to cast Earthside until the discovery of Soulstones in Malifaux. When the First Breach closed, the Guild was eventually formed in the chaos to regulate the limited supplies of Soulstones that had made it to Earth, since they were now the only source of magic left. The Guild has 'member states'- countries that accept the Guild's control and policies in exchange for some sovereignty and Soulstone access.

How exactly the timeline diverged during those hundred years? Unknown in detail. There is reference to the Black Powder Wars in The Fated Almanac, where you had effectively a world war that went from 1798-1814. They ended with the formation of the Guild, which was a nation neutral organization that went on control Soulstones world wide, gaining a great deal of political leverage as it did so. In the US, however, slavery continued on possibly without the interruption of the Civil War, as implied in Ironsides' bio in Crossroads, since she's the daughter of escaped slaves whose mother was executed by the Guild for being an escaped slave. Since Ironsides (by appearance) seems to be in her early thirties at most, slavery is still legal in at least the country she's from during the late 1870s, long after it had originally ended.

Additionally, it seems that East Asia allied together into one power during the Black Powder Wars, rather than being colonized by the various European powers, as evidenced by the existence of the Three Kingdoms and the various traditions shown in their background (Storm of Shadows and the M2e books reference things of Japanese and Chinese origins).

Other thing of note is that the Breach, wherever it is (implied to be a city) leveled the surrounding country side when it first appeared, but there's no nailed down information of its Earthside home that I know of.

That's a post I made about Earthside back when we had it as a locale for the Iron Quill. It's as complete as I know off the top of my head.

That's a post I made about Earthside back when we had it as a locale for the Iron Quill. It's as complete as I know off the top of my head.

You're awesome. The fiction I am looking to do relies heavily on the culture shock coming from metropolitan New York into Malifaux, so I am basically trying to match up how someone of that time and that location would react to everything. 

Which also poses the question of Malifaux being a Victorian setting if there were possibly no ascension to the throne by Queen Victoria. The Latigo compound raises an interesting point of the inclusion of Mexican and Central American people as a more prominent force, so that would change American History greatly as well, probably as a result of the Black Powder Wars. 

Dirial   

You're awesome. The fiction I am looking to do relies heavily on the culture shock coming from metropolitan New York into Malifaux, so I am basically trying to match up how someone of that time and that location would react to everything. 

Which also poses the question of Malifaux being a Victorian setting if there were possibly no ascension to the throne by Queen Victoria. The Latigo compound raises an interesting point of the inclusion of Mexican and Central American people as a more prominent force, so that would change American History greatly as well, probably as a result of the Black Powder Wars. 

New York is never mentioned in the fluff. New Amsterdam is one of the few Earthside cities named, implying that New York never changed its name.

New York is never mentioned in the fluff. New Amsterdam is one of the few Earthside cities named, implying that New York never changed its name.

I thought I saw that somewhere but never could remember where. Thank you, sir. 

Need to basically look up American history from 1790 until the Civil War and rewrite it until it is fleshed out enough. Why do I always need to be so damn accurate with things?!

So for now, I am going under the assumptions:

1. While the United States of America are still an independent and sovereign nation, the Louisiana Purchase never happened, therefore those lands would still be largely under French control. Florida is likely still a part of Spain at the end of the wars as well. 

2. Because of that, the United States also never expanded westward without conflict with France. What is more likely is that the US would have expanded into that territory and taken it rather than through diplomatic means, itching with the post-war imperialism that defines the steampunk genre. Either that or it would have required a lot of wheeling and dealing from the Guild to happen. I am going under the assumption that Florida is under the control of the US, however, by the second Breach. 

3. Texas would require the US to possess the lands of the Louisiana Purchase first, and then etc, etc.

4. If the US is still a small nation due to the inability to expand its territory after the Black Powder Wars, then the notion of the continuation of slavery would make more sense - a smaller country relying on the forced labors of a slave class to maintain its production and exports, especially following not only its own war for independence, but a global conflict it could not have benefited from greatly. 

A lot of assumptions would have to be made for this to work. Without westward expansion, there is no trans-continental railroad, no near annihilation of Native Americans, no sea to shining sea, etc. It also opens up the possibility of the Ten Thunders setting up shop on the Pacific coast from other nations colonizing there. No Alaska, no Hawaii. 

Thoughts?

If New York is called New Amsterdam then Earthside had differences from our history at least 30 years before the first breach opened. Presumably Earthside had a bit more magic than we do, so you can hand wave any changes you want.

I always imagined that the Black Powder Wars happened instead of the Napoleonic Wars. 

The first breach was opened in the time of the French Revolution, so it is likely that Spain retains control of the Louisiana Territory (not France) - this might help explain why the Ortegas are so influential. 

The US Civil War happened, in part, because people were worried that NEW states would upset the balance of numbers of Free States vs Slave States. Reduce US westward expansion (regardless of who owns Louisiana) and you can delay the Civil War as you suggest.

I'm pretty interested in this too.  I realise that Malifaux has, in part, been designed to be sealed off from the world so these questions don't have to be answered but I think it would add a whole lot of richness to the setting.

Since we have more of an Edwardian than a Victorian setting, what does this mean for the state of global affairs?   Is there a Great War around the corner, or have colonial ambitions been focused on Malifaux?  What has become of the colonial powers?  Part of me would like to see Britain decimated and then relocated into India as the Great British Raj....

Which are the Three Kingdoms?  Japan and China seem obvious but who is the third?   Something unexpected like Siam might be interesting....

I imagine we will start to get actual Earthside fluff once The Other Side drops. If it does indeed take place on Malifaux Earth as it appears to.

Oh and Scott, the 3rd of the Three Kingdoms is either Vietnam or Korea. I am 90% sure its Vietnam though,

Edited by AverageBoss

Well we've seen the art for The Other Side that has London in flames, and presumably since it's a larger wargame a Great War equivalent is just around the corner. 

As for the Three Kingdoms, I believe it's been stated that the third is Vietnam. Which seems a bit like a strange choice. Siam/Thailand would have been what I thought given its military power and rather unique status as being the only southeast-asian country to avoid western colonialism. Their mythology is pretty neat as well.

solkan   

Honestly, the fact that Thailand fought off Chinese invasions (a few times) and retained its independence from colonialism is probably a good reason for it not to be part of the Three Kingdoms.  :)

But the Three Kingdoms is (so far) officially:

Such was the stain on the clan's honor that it never considered an attempt to regain the Emperor's favor, but instead set about creating an extensive criminal and spy network throughout the Three Kingdoms long before the regions of China, Japan, and Vietnam officially joined together as one massive empire.

I don't have all of the 1.5 edition books, so I'm not sure where they start rewriting history for that to happen.  But I wouldn't be too surprised if the Three Kingdoms also happens to swallow up Korea and some of the other nearby areas as well.  It'd be sort of strange to have an independent Korea in the middle there, after all.

Edited by solkan

Look forward to seeing The Other Side - anyone know when it is coming out?

If the Khmer Empire didn't fall, that would be interesting.   They collapsed before the first breach officially, but who knows?  The last theory I heard was that it was lack of infrastructure maintenance which caused the decline, so it wouldn't require too much of a push to imagine the Empire holding out a bit longer....

So for now, I am going under the assumptions:

1. While the United States of America are still an independent and sovereign nation, the Louisiana Purchase never happened, therefore those lands would still be largely under French control. Florida is likely still a part of Spain at the end of the wars as well. 

2. Because of that, the United States also never expanded westward without conflict with France. What is more likely is that the US would have expanded into that territory and taken it rather than through diplomatic means, itching with the post-war imperialism that defines the steampunk genre. Either that or it would have required a lot of wheeling and dealing from the Guild to happen. I am going under the assumption that Florida is under the control of the US, however, by the second Breach. 

3. Texas would require the US to possess the lands of the Louisiana Purchase first, and then etc, etc.

4. If the US is still a small nation due to the inability to expand its territory after the Black Powder Wars, then the notion of the continuation of slavery would make more sense - a smaller country relying on the forced labors of a slave class to maintain its production and exports, especially following not only its own war for independence, but a global conflict it could not have benefited from greatly. 

A lot of assumptions would have to be made for this to work. Without westward expansion, there is no trans-continental railroad, no near annihilation of Native Americans, no sea to shining sea, etc. It also opens up the possibility of the Ten Thunders setting up shop on the Pacific coast from other nations colonizing there. No Alaska, no Hawaii. 

Thoughts?

With the inclusion of the Latigo family, I surmised that the expansion westward actually DID happen.  Also with the way the architecture seems to be progressing in unexplored areas.  I also see the breech opening up somewhere in the west. again based off the inclusion of the steam engine as well as the opening being out in the middle of nowhere as inferred by some of the fluff.

The TT from my understanding came in through another breach (perhaps that opened up somewhere in the 3 kingdoms)  I DO agree with you that the 3 kingdoms seems to be an amalgamation of Japan and China.  However, when I read 3 kingdoms, I think of mythology and the kingdoms being "heaven", Purgatory, and earth.

What you are refering to as "slavery" I think is more indentured servitude.  either to work off a monetary debt or to work off a debt to society in the case of criminals.  I have not seen any reference to actual slavery in a traditional sense.  Mind, I may have just missed it in which case, I would love to read about it in the fluff.

The near genocide of the Native Americans would just be starting in our timeline at the point of the 2nd breech so it would not be listed in the Malifaux timeline I don't think.  (the changes post BP War could lead to an interesting arc)

the inclusion of the "bodyguard" who's name I forget in the fluff leads me to believe that at least SOME expansion has happened as well.

Just some random thoughts.  please ignore if they don't fit your fiction writing. :)

Sean

solkan   
The TT from my understanding came in through another breach (perhaps that opened up somewhere in the 3 kingdoms)  I DO agree with you that the 3 kingdoms seems to be an amalgamation of Japan and China.  However, when I read 3 kingdoms, I think of mythology and the kingdoms being "heaven", Purgatory, and earth.

On the other hand, as far as Chinese scholars are traditionally concerned, the "Three Kingdoms" refers to an era of Chinese history from about AD 169 to AD 280.

Obligatory:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms

It's an immensely big deal.  Likewise, the politics between China and what have at times been rivals and other times lesser surrounding states is an incredibly big deal that went on without any need for western mythology.

Edited by solkan

On the other hand, as far as Chinese scholars are traditionally concerned, the "Three Kingdoms" refers to an era of Chinese history from about AD 169 to AD 280.

Obligatory:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms

It's an immensely big deal.  Likewise, the politics between China and what have at times been rivals and other times lesser surrounding states is an incredibly big deal that went on without any need for western mythology.

I was actually incorrect in my previous statement.  Korean Buddhism during the 3-4th century A.D. (the founding years) is where the reference I made more applies.  

That period in history would be a good ref to look at about the philosophy of the TT.  I think you could pretty much pick your choice in Shogunism, Buddhism, the early Chinese dynasties.  That is if the TT is an interest.  

For European history, I would say look at the late 1800's and how their expantionism into the new territories effected things.  Also look at the indentured servitude and exportation if criminals to Australia. for an idea of the types of things that would play into expiration of criminals to Malifaux.

Sean

I don't know about the canonicity status of the fluff stories in the rulebooks, but the Ten Thunders story from Shifting Loyalties, "From the Ashes" partially takes place in a China that's basically been occupied by the Guild, with the Emperor being a mere figurehead for the Guild-controlled government, if I recall correctly.

The Kaeris story in Crossroads, "Falling to Fly", takes place in San Francisco before the reopening of the Breach. In it, Kaeris goes to a school where all the other children are children of Guild officials, and the Guild also control at least part of the legal authority there. Enough to execute people in order to recharge soulstones, anyhow. The woman Kaeris works for is a veteran of the Powder Wars, which also ravaged America (instead of the Civil War)

The picture I get is that after the Powder Wars, the Guild has been more or less in control of most governments Earthside. They control the access to soulstones and have the most potent weaponry based on said soulstone. The only thing they can't quite control seems to be Malifaux, and the world beyond the Breach..

Edited by Carecalmo

crossroads also had a mccabe story starting in london put under marshal law by the guild.  some of the story was in egypt too, but it was mostly in the desert