July 6th - Starter Henchmen

Lucidicide

Another prime example of what Guild does worse than Gremlins. ;)

He does have Ml7, though ;):P

(He doesn't damage himself grievously when doing the damage and his Df is 6 instead of 4 so it's not all bad - though when comparing to Francois every other melee beater tends to come up a bit...

wait for it...

short.)

oEhVvjZ.gif

• Like 1

Definitely like Grimwell, but I'm not completely sold on Angel Eyes since has such different ranges for all her attacks.  Seems like it would be tough to get her to run at full efficiency, but I'll test her out before finalizing my opinion. Going to try Grimwell out with Tara, Jack, and Zoraida since they can give him a way to Focus, Move, and then give someone a nice brain enema with that fun saw of his.  I like this idea more and more the more I consider it...

For a stater box, both Henchmen seem pretty balanced against each other and they're simple enough that new players shouldn't have any issues running them.  There seem to be a nice mix of rules of each that can introduce new players to the game, and I really like that there's enough depth in both to be useful for veteran players.

• Like 1

I like both of these guys.  I was already going to pick up this set since it is a GREAT way for me to finally demo games with friends.

With GW finally torpedoing one of my favorite games for the last couple of decades (really loved Warhammer Fantasy), I have decided to finally make a concerted effort to grow Malifaux in my area.  Previously I had introduced a few people with a couple of games at my house, but I don't feel that I have enough crews put together that make for good introductory games.  I hope that the two crews in this box have been designed to be new-player friendly, but also showcase some of the model-interaction complexity and tactics that Malifaux really shines at.

But I am happy to see that the henchmen look to be fairly useful outside of the confines of a starter set.  I love the crazy Doctor Grimwell.  It is good to see that this set is more than just for new players.

Well done once again Wyrd!

• Like 2

Interesting that the starter set presents two Henchmen which function differently to the 'traditional' flavour of their respective factions. Most of the Neverborn Masters are melee or up close fighters while the Guild are usually more stand off; these two will present to new players the opposite, for veterans it provides variety and alternatives but for new comers it may be somewhat confusing.

Still pretty pleased and Dr Grimwell in particular could see action in Dr McMourning Guild lists just because, he can also be included in the Rezzers list as a merc but was disappointed to see he counted as a Witch Hunter and not a Guild Guard.

I am kind of surprised that some of it has not been said yet but thought I would throw some gas on the fire.

As already said any way to get Focus on Grimwell for his Lobotomy is mean, so some thoughts on that first.  Guild does already have a way to give him positive on his damage, Papa Loco has Hold This.  And as it does not go away at end of turn you can have him give the doc the dynamite turn 1 and the Doc has it turn 2 till Papa goes again.  So he can triple move first turn into position, then remove someone's brains.  Also for Guild Expert Sleuth might help his speed as he can push 4" towards it with a (0), Nimble, then charge 7" with 2" reach.  That is a 18" threat range on scheme runners.  Most other Guild Henchmen and even the Enforcers have decent or Good (0) they would rather be using but he lacks one.  Perdita might actually use Obey on him, which on top of having the Enslaved Nephilim he can also get a minor speed boost to be threatening. 

He can be interesting with McMourning as the Master can give him a range boost with his (0), and as Guild he can also help him with Spot Weakness.  It will make the Grimwell really scary to heavy armored targets with Lobotomy.  In Ressers he could be rough with Decaying Aura, it will really put a target on him and might draw heat from other models.  With Ressers or Guild McMourning he could also get access to Nurses.  With Nimble and the right medication and he could cross 21" of table in one turn.  That or 14" and still have an AP to interact.  Also access to Belles might mean your enemies are going to be even more worried about Lure.

Tara of course is interesting just because with Fast he is a real threat *even without Lobotomy he can really cross ground*.  And unlike a lot of her heavy hitters she eyes normally he is not an enforcer so can use Soulstones to protect himself a little.

Shenlong for 10T can have him take a Focus action as a (0), which he currently lacks.  Shenlong can also move him about with the right upgrade on him, giving his threat range a boost *and possible give him Fast*.  Or heal him with Low River.  He can also carry 10T upgrades like Recall Training, with a (0) focus and Recall training you get double positive to attack and damage, meaning even hard to Wound might not help save them.  He could also take Smoke Bombs for the range protection as he does not take beatings well.  McCabe also has some options for him with his upgrades, such as Regeneration +2, the ability to get Armor +1 with a (0) action.  Badge of Speed does not help as much as he already has Nimble, but that just means McCabe can give it to someone else.  Push any upgrade he throws at him can push him and if you have Promises on the table any upgrade can give him a positive to his Melee and Wp.  Yan Lo can also make up a bit for his lack of damage prevention and healing with his abilities, giving you a Henchman that will worry people on damage output.

For Neverborn, Grimwell can also supply an interesting choice.  Generally Neverborn don’t have hard hitting Henchmen.  Candy is more control, Barbaros is more control, the Bad Juju is threatening but kind of slow and is easy to hit, Nekima is hard hitting but expensive, Vasilisa is more control, and the Widow Weaver is a mix of stuff.  Master wise though there is not a lot of support for him though.  Zoraida can Obey him, Lilith can teleport him, and Lucius can swap places with him. 

I could likely go on but I realized I have typed a pretty long post just for Grimwell.  Think I will have to take another look at Angel Eyes and see what I can see for her.

• Like 4

Angel Eyes is probably going to have som stiff competition from Mc Tavish in my lists but more Nephilim are always nice.

I'm very excited about the Doctor. More Witch hunters is a big yay and the model looks awesome. Being able to get Sonnia 4" further turn one would be nice as well as repositioning stuff in later turns. I really don't see why a move would be worse than a push, it gives you very nice manouverability since you don't need to go in a straight line with moves. The only downside is area terrain but think of all those linear obstacles you can actually pass with a move or moving around in massive engagements to cherry pick enemy support models. I think it's nice to introduce a new form of movement for different situations.

I really don't see why a move would be worse than a push, it gives you very nice manouverability since you don't need to go in a straight line with moves.

Because push lets you disengage your models for free (which can be crucial for such a shooter as Angel Eyes).

But it depends on the situation - in other cases move can be more useful (f.e to move to cover or blocking obstacle after shootng).

Because push lets you disengage your models for free (which can be crucial for such a shooter as Angel Eyes).

But it depends on the situation - in other cases move can be more useful (f.e to move to cover or blocking obstacle after shootng).

Move does too. Only Walk provokes Disengaging Strikes.

Move and Push, both have upsides and downsides. I'm glad we get some variety.

• Like 1

Are these the final rules? I'm pretty sure they are.

To me they both fall in that unfortunate area of not being quite tanky enough, nor damaging enough, for their points cost. Reliability is also lower than I'd like it to be.

Actually, if Angel Eyes had + on her Snapshot Rifle I'd love her an awful lot more. Oh well, we'll see when they are in action (and have their upgrades).

I tend to go theme heavy. McTavish or even a trapper may be better then Angel Eyes for the stones, but they're not Nephlim. That alone stops me from using them. I'll be very happy to put Angel Eyes to the test, and already have ideas about how to use her.

I want to see more on the Bloodwretches personally. I'd like to have a bit of a tankier Nephilim minion.

Will there be tokens included in the starter box? I can remember when i had my first crew it was a hassle to find proper tokens to represent the various conditions and schemes etc. It would be easier for starting players to have an official punch out tokens to play with.

• Like 1