June 29th - Lots o' Goodies

Lucidicide

The band would definitely have an interesting sound.  Oddly enough I don't think the banjo is nearly as big of a unity-breaker as the bongo drum.  Plenty of rockabilly bands mix elements of hard rock with instrumentation from things like banjos, mandolins, and dobros, but they also usually still have a solid drum.  As for the walking organ, it just reminds me of Deep Purple and Iron Butterfly.  Weird instruments show up in bands all the time (Jethro Tull and the flute?) so I think it could potentially work.  It really depends on what kind of magic that dude can pull off with his drum.

Can Wyrd hire a composer to give us an example of the insane heavy prog-rock blues this crew would jam to?

• Like 1

The band would definitely have an interesting sound.  Oddly enough I don't think the banjo is nearly as big of a unity-breaker as the bongo drum.  Plenty of rockabilly bands mix elements of hard rock with instrumentation from things like banjos, mandolins, and dobros, but they also usually still have a solid drum.  As for the walking organ, it just reminds me of Deep Purple and Iron Butterfly.  Weird instruments show up in bands all the time (Jethro Tull and the flute?) so I think it could potentially work.  It really depends on what kind of magic that dude can pull off with his drum.

It's not really any one instrument that makes the difference - you could definitely have a band that included a pipe organ, or a band that included a bongo drum, or even a band that included a machine gun if you were so inclined. Adding a splash of something different is a good way to distinguish your sound from everyone else's.

Too many splashes just gets weird, though. Some sounds go well together, and some don't. Mixing lots of disparate elements means you lose cohesiveness, the styles each instrument favours clash, and your audience stops being able to identify with the music.

Can Wyrd hire a composer to give us an example of the insane heavy prog-rock blues this crew would jam to?

I would be 100% behind this. If they can make it work, I'd be very impressed.

• Like 2

I like most of this stuff, but the Scion of Black Blood is the single worst sculpt I've seen for any gaming system in many years. It's just completely awful (unless you somehow like GW models from around 1990).

All my big hats say that you can get the hell out right now. :D

Also, what scion of the void? Pretty sure you're thinking of the neph on the cover of shifting lotalities, right? - and thats not the scion, thats probably the resser/neph guy we've been hearing about.

But yes, he's really bad.

Razhem makes some good points here, boys. Not sure if a lot of you have noticed but this game makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever. The only thing that baffles me is that the creators were able to take all this random cool shit and make something out of it that worked and didn't suck. Even the fluff works well together, not really sure how they managed that either. That's really what the initial draw to this game was for me - Malifaux could literaly contain any damn thing in the world and how could you begin to say its out of place with all the other random stuff?

Here's an exercise - Try telling someone (in your own head) what the game of Malifaux is all about (fluff wise - not the actual game).

The way I'd do it is to just say "Think of any cool nerd niche you can think of - its about all of that, all together, and more."

Not to be too overly positive, or anything, I'd like to end this post by also saying that the band is pretty damn bad. I do have a use for it in a future project full of gimmicky bullshit, however, so I can make use of it, but much like JD's Guilty - that shit ain't never hitting the table on my end. ;)

I mean... its not JD crew bad... but I'm just not feeling it I guess.

EDIT: Oh damn, so thats a scion of black blood, not void - I dun goof'd - its late here - my bad. ;)

I don't get the Lindsey Stirling hype. The video was pretty damn bad, and mostly because the music was so unentertaining. No accounting for taste, I guess.

The nitpicking in this thread is astounding.

It's called feedback. Most of the people who voice their critique are very vocal in all the other forums, too. Not like they come to the forum to whine.

Wyrd encourages consumer feedback. Good thing they do, even if it can look like a public shaming exercise. I'm pretty sure that's not the intent.

• Like 1

The nitpicking in this thread is astounding.

As to where the so called nitpicking is meant as a feedback, your post unfortunetly is absolutely a useless input to the thread and I apologize for the harsh words and I don't meant this is an insult. But seriously, don't attack other peoples feedback if isn't to your liking.

There is actually a band raffle at my hometown where musicians put their names into a hat. When they get pulled they have to form a band with whatever comes up. I think I ended up seeing a hard rock cover band with a flute, glockenspiel, drum kit, and a bass guitar because of it.

New headcannon: the Crossroads Seven met in my hometown because of a band raffle in a veterans bar.

• Like 3

Starter set. I agree that the Scion looks bad, but mostly in an amateurish 90s GW way. I think for instance that the horrible crime against anatomy that is Johan is a way worse miniature. Not something I would get without seeing an unboxing, but I'm not really the target audience for a starter box.

Shifting Loyalties. Cover art makes me think of GW (which is always a bad thing these days...) but whatever, I'm not getting it for the cover art.

Not crazy about the band. For one they don't have any kind of unifying aesthetic which I think they should have as one of their things as they can be taken as a crew with just them. Secondly I would have liked to see more of a variety of instruments, there is an awful lot strings and the only wind is the pipe organ. Wrath seems to be suffering from the small head syndrome that is going around these days. Some of the others look nice enough, but none are must haves. Definitely need to see an unboxing before even considering buying this box.

Another thing about the band, the gender balance is really unimaginative. There are only two women and they get the extremely predictable Lust and Pride roles (though I guess Lust and Envy would have been worse). Having one or more of Wrath, Sloth and Gluttony female would have been interesting and could have added some women that aren't dainty little waifs to the line.

• Like 3

I've seen multiple interpretations now. Which band member is which? My guess would be, from left to right:

Pride, Gluttony, Lust, Wrath, Sloth, Envy, Greed.

The far left and far right might be the other way around, not sure.

I held of buying fate decks after I heard about this box, and without them the box looks like fantastic value for money. Also looking forward to giving my 40k playing friends a couple of malifaux introductory games without having to worry about building crew lists.

I do like the models in the starter box, some of them lack the amazing flare & dynamics I've come to expect from other malifaux models (especially the scion) but I guess that's a tradeoff for easier to assemble starter models. I do love the orderly who is making the 'shh' motion with one hand and hiding a needle behind his back with the other, it looks like a fantastic creepy threatening pose without looking overtly aggressive.

As for the band I quite like the strange eclectic mix going, it's one of the defining features of malifaux for me. The only part I don't like the fit of for the band is gluttony as I really love my complex drum lines, but gluttony himself has this great feel voodoo priest who made a pact to be able to play blues.

I've seen multiple interpretations now. Which band member is which? My guess would be, from left to right:

Pride, Gluttony, Lust, Wrath, Sloth, Envy, Greed.

The far left and far right might be the other way around, not sure.

Looking back, Justin said Pride is the banjo. So the women are Lust and Greed. I still think more women total and giving them at least one of the "ugly"/"manly" sins would have been in order.

• Like 2

@bengt - woman as greed?  Yep, sounds about right, lol.

@aaron - I haven't heard anything about the band until you posted the pics.  I initially said that they were off due to the suspension of disbelief being spread so thinly, however, I do plan to buy them anyway.  They will be fun to paint and look cool on the shelf.  I just think they are too silly for the actual game to play with.  I don't know, it's like, I could probably go with a magical flute, enchantress seducing her Lustful way across the land, but somehow, electric guitars doesn't quite fit the bill. I'm not sure what it is.

Looking back, Justin said Pride is the banjo. So the women are Lust and Greed. I still think more women total and giving them at least one of the "ugly"/"manly" sins would have been in order.

Ugh, is this going to be an issue again? I think wyrd refering to "her" instead of the typical "him" in their books is going far beyond what any other company in any other field in the world does. So much so I was surprised and it caught me off guard at first (old-school, I guess). Add to that the near 50/50 master gender and I think they've covered their ass enough.

Whats going on here - is this really that big of an issue or am I missing something here? Is this just a bunch of guys who want to roleplay as fem characters or is this legit? A lot of women like pretty women models too - the sensitivity to this social topic is starting to make my head hurt, especially when guys start defending female point of view as if they dont have the say themselves. Get real. :blink:

If you don't like it try one of the 100 other game companies that doesn't even make an effort.

---

Back on Topic:

Oh, so that guy in the starter is a scion too eh? Well then... yeah, he's crappy too. >8)

• Like 1

The band looks cool, except that I feel the drums were a missed opportunity! Really, no rock/prog/metal band would accept bongo as the ONLY drum in their crew. NONE!

Just imagine the epicness of that drum kit!

Also, flute would've been nice instead of banjo for example. The organ is great though!

Well, I like the band and if finances allow (plus shipping costs) I would love to purchase them and the 2 player set on top of my definite purchases.

And in reply to Aaron:

I knew about the beta but never looked into it due to not having the time for personal reasons..i regret it now as I feel I have missed so much.

There have been a number of comments in defense of the band saying that Malifaux is already a mix of genres and despite this the fluff and the world still 'Work'; so why not throw in one more thing? But I think this line of reasoning accurately defines the reason the band is so jarring to me.

'Works' means that improbably all these genre styles have been mixed into a stew that compliment each other. Even the comedic Gremlins have found a spot that doesn't seem out of place. There is something for almost everyone and all those things coexist within an agreed upon boundary that doesn't conflict with players' disparate views of the world of Malifaux. Despite Malifaux's incredible flexibility in being able to stretch boundaries of disbelief, it is not unbreakable. Anachronisms within the agreed upon boundaries are still possible. For some people, me included, the band is asking us to go one step too far. And all of a sudden it doesn't just 'Work' anymore.

By way of example of how some things may not fit into the world of Malifaux, I think most players would find that a new faction of armored space soldiers who drop from ships in outer space (sound familiar) into Malifaux would break the boundaries of disbelieve. No soul stone hand waving is going to fix that for a vast majority of Malifaux players. I know this is an extreme example, but it proves the point that anachronisms can exist in any world, even Malifaux.

I know it's hard to believe, given the wide variety of craziness in Malifaux, but for me the whole concept of the band is just a little too ridiculous to fit into this world without it devolving into slapstick parody.

For more examples of what I am getting at, watch Superman 3 and look at the introduction of the Draenei into World of Warcraft.

• Like 4

Can't wait for shifting loyalties. It looks an feels so good.

The Crossroads Seven aren't completely what I expected. Boondoggle Seven would make more sense for the name of the band with this art design.

I love the look of  Pride, Gluttony and Lust the most and they are kind of what I expected.

Pride actually looks like a front-man of an existing band, which name I can't remember atm.

Sloth and Envy have a sort of Addams Family look to them.

Wrath would be totally boring without Sorrows flying around him and I'll probably sculpt some long hair and paint it black on him when I get the band.

I'm not sure what to make of Greed. She seems kind of meh, but it's a little picture so I might be wrong.

Anyway, I like the look of 80' cartoons on this and they're slowly growing on me. I'll definitely get them.

Starter minis are looking good except the scion horned guy wich is ... not to my liking at all. Too much of Games Workshop aesthetics on theat minis design...

I'd like to get the starter for the doctors crew, because it seems like they work with McMourning Guild crew thematically

(I don't know about the new Docs rules at all).

Darknes Comes Rattling looks awesome and I wish I had it when I was a kid!

Ugh, is this going to be an issue again? I think wyrd refering to "her" instead of the typical "him" in their books is going far beyond what any other company in any other field in the world does. So much so I was surprised and it caught me off guard at first (old-school, I guess). Add to that the near 50/50 master gender and I think they've covered their ass enough.

Whats going on here - is this really that big of an issue or am I missing something here? Is this just a bunch of guys who want to roleplay as fem characters or is this legit? A lot of women like pretty women models too - the sensitivity to this social topic is starting to make my head hurt, especially when guys start defending female point of view as if they dont have the say themselves. Get real. :blink:

If you don't like it try one of the 100 other game companies that doesn't even make an effort.

The point for me is that while I don't mind painting some pin ups, I don't want to paint only pin ups. I want variety, right now every female model but Sybelle is rail thin.

This is not a social issue, this is about making a line of plastic models more interesting. All the shit women have to put up with in the real world is a social issue, but that would be off topic. While there are 18/39 female Masters there is a severe under representation in every other model type, and that means "they have done enough"? Ha! I'm going to continue bringing this up when I feel it's warranted, regardless how much you whine about your head hurting. Maybe Wyrd will listen, maybe they wont.

And your suggested solution is to play a game with even less female models? How does that make any sense at all? Do you even think for one second before you write something?

• Like 4