June 29th - Lots o' Goodies

Lucidicide

Not having guitars, having them electric guitars (Argh!) requires the biggest suspension of disbelief :/ The five in the middle are very very very very very cool, though.

We are talking this and ignoring the fact that Envy has electric battle piano?

They do look wicked awesome.

• Like 2

I mean, that's fine, but you do realize that one of them is in a giant walking piano with Gatling guns and there are sentient constructs?

Electric guitar = Soulstone powered.

Done!

In fact I have nothing against the Resser bassist, I imagine his strings glowing green when picked and emitting magical sound. But the last one on the right looks it has a magnetic pick-up mounted, weird since it's useless! xD

(Electric guitars are not powered. Amplifiers are :))

We are talking this and ignoring the fact that Envy has electric battle piano?

They do look wicked awesome.

That's no electric piano, it's a pipe organ. Walking, and firing. But it's an organ U.u

Everything looks awesome. As much as I wanted a male Lust, the band looks great! I just hope they're in separate boxes.

Pretty sure they're going to be in a box like the transmortis set is, so they probably wont be available separate. I'd love to see a nightmare gender swapped box set though.

• Like 2

Not to s**t in the punchbowl, but my initial reaction when I look at the art for the Crossroads Seven is, "Why?!". So a rock band, in Malifaux, being used as a crew/in a crew. Mmmm-k. Feels very "Jump the Shark" to me.

Now having said that, I will keep an open mind and reserve full judgement until I see all the details.

• Like 1

I like most of this stuff, but the Scion of Black Blood is the single worst sculpt I've seen for any gaming system in many years. It's just completely awful (unless you somehow like GW models from around 1990).

Evidently you've never seen any of Mantic's models up close and personal... 

• Like 1

Always wondered* what it'd be like to have Lindsey Sterling as a malifaux model. And now with that Lust model, I know.

So. Aaron, do I send the money now, later, or both?

*I haven't, actually. Not once.

I love the 7. Liked the name Boondoggle a little more that crossroad.. but it's alright.

as for the hupla about the electric guitars... First off it looks more like a Banjo on the left side. Thematically that would make sense as well. and the woman on the right, it wouldn't take much at all to make that a hollow body or resonator guitar like the one Sue is already depicted with. Both of those work just fine without amps. a little out of the time period, sure, but not by a whole lot.

I like the band, with the exception of the singer. I think he looks like Danzig. It's the wrists. lol. and even then, it isn't bad, just a little out of whack for me.

but lust... I'm really glad I play ten thunders right now... really glad.... :P

I love the 7. Liked the name Boondoggle a little more that crossroad.. but it's alright.

The crossroads has a lot of connotations when it comes to old blues music (selling one's soul to the devil for crazy musical skills, etc.) so I like it a lot more than Boondoggle. 

• Like 2

Still waiting for the downside to this ;)

Not sure there is one... other than i'll be really disappointed if he doesn't have a skill called "Mother" and the fact that i'll never be able to look at him without bursting into song...

Only downside to the model for me is the funny wrist covers. Not terrible at all, just kind of silly.

The crossroads has a lot of connotations when it comes to old blues music (selling one's soul to the devil for crazy musical skills, etc.) so I like it a lot more than Boondoggle.

I would agree with this, but with one (maybe two) exceptions, they don't really look like an old blues band. Though it does have a direct tie in with the name of the 2nd book.

It's not a bad name by any means, just thought boondoggle had a somewhat outlaw country sound to it. The guy on the far left for instance... banjo or guitar, either way... look at him and tell me that boondoggle doesn't fit his vibe! :P

• Like 1

Is that pic of the model renders the size you meant it to be? As it is super small. The band pic is also pretty small but the renders are smaller in the "detail" pic than in the box pic.

The Fate decks look amazing. Very readable which is nice! Black Joker is certainly an interesting design.

And finally, the band looks utterly idiotic. My least favourite thing that Wyrd has ever done. Just completely jumping the shark. Electric guitars (no, wait, soulstone guitars) just don't fit Malifaux at all. I'm seriously considering simply refusing to play against them (forfeiting any game where an opponent brings one to the table). Urgh.

• Like 2

Super excited for the starter set, just to see how it functions as a tutorial.  Hoping the new models bring something strong to Guild McMourning as well, but I'm not expecting much.  The models themselves are fairly underwhelming (Scion is legitimately awful) but clearly designed for simplicity.  I do think the Guild stuff will fit well with McMourning's box set at least.  In any case, the unknown Guild models put it pretty high on my curiosity scale.

The Crossroads 7 are a mixed bunch I'm mostly positive on, and am definitely in if its a boxed set.  Their music styles are a little desperate rather than forming a cohesive band, with Wrath, That's SO Metal and the one on the right I believe is Pride being a little out of place with the rest.  Pride with a cello would have been better.  Sloth also seems a little metal, but in a way I appreciate more for no real reason.  Greed (on the left?), Lust, Gluttony, and Envy are all very Malifaux musicians, IMO.  Like it overall, and can't wait to see what people do with them.  There's going to be some great scenic trays ahead.

If these two are going to be at GenCon along with the Riders, Effigies, and Colette, I'm going to have a very expensive August.

Hello,

Shifting Loyalties looks to be right up my alley!  Will these releases be available during gencon? Also wishing there were people in my area interested in the Through the Breach, funny I will probably end up buying all the books but never play a game other than possibly myself playing all the roles haha.  Well at least I have a good imagination and love the storied side of games more than the actual competitive aspect. Maybe that's why I lose so often regardless of the game I play, I play for the feel and story, not the outcome.

Really digging most of the Seven as well!  Starter box medical crew look great as well. Now I really understand why I avoided Wyrd/Malifaux for soo long. (meh who needs food/clothes/rent money anyway... haha!)

Thanks for the previews!

Take care,

Joe

Envy as an organist on a giant mechanical spider? Count me in. I dub thee the Overcompensator XD

As for the starter box, no way I'm buying that, for two reasons:

- if I start neverborn / ressers it'll only end up with another 50 unpainted models on the 4th Shelf o' Shame

- someone from the MFX group I'm attached to as the resident commission painter's gonna buy it and give it to me to paint anyway :P

Pride (far left, leaning back) most definitely has a banjo. Only instruments that even could be electric would be sloth (bass) and Greed (guitar). I'm honestly not certain what separates the acoustic versions of those instruments from the electric version (know nothing about instruments) but I don't see any power cords. 

Anyway, not everyone has to like everything. Obviously plenty of people are into it. :)

Personally I can't wait to see the campaign and starter in the wild.

• Like 6

And finally, the band looks utterly idiotic. My least favourite thing that Wyrd has ever done. Just completely jumping the shark. Electric guitars (no, wait, soulstone guitars) just don't fit Malifaux at all. I'm seriously considering simply refusing to play against them (forfeiting any game where an opponent brings one to the table). Urgh.

Absolutely with you on that boat my friend. So at least our games are band free. :P

• Like 1

The Good

The Price Point on the starter set. It is nice and cheap for everything you get. It makes it fairly easy to justify even though I'm only interested in about half the models (when you include all the other stuff like more decks and tape measures).

Also, I do love the Guild guys. They look great. I might try Guild McMourning if they work well.

Envy? Dude's riding a organ with machine guns. What's not to love.

The Bad

Non-Angeleyes Neverborn. I'm not going to NOT play them, but I am a little disappointed. Especially, when the Guild models looks so good.

Crossroads 7. I much preferred the Boondoggle 7.

I also dislike Pride(?), Gluttony, Wrath, and Sloth. Pride looks ridiculous. Not in the awesome way Envy does. Couldn't we get a Gremlin player for Gluttony. If we were going to have Gremlin Vodoo, I'd like to see some Grem/Resser stuff. Wrath looks more like he's in pain and suffering then, you know, being wrathful. Sloth.... I dunno. Just doesn't do anything for me. My reaction isn't quite as bad as some people. More like, "Meh." Will still probably pick them up. Just not the top of my list.

Something I am looking forward to with the starter set is the digital rules manual. Seems like a really cool idea. 

Can any of you official type people speak as to what format that will be available in and the means for obtaining one's digital rules manual after purchasing the starter box?

Pride (far left, leaning back) most definitely has a banjo. Only instruments that even could be electric would be sloth (bass) and Greed (guitar). I'm honestly not certain what separates the acoustic versions of those instruments from the electric version (know nothing about instruments) but I don't see any power cords.

Acoustic versions are hollow (in order to produce an appreciable sound) while the electric ones aren't (as the sound is amplified through the amazing power of electricity).

Electric bass guitar:

4-string-electric-bass-guitar-blue-burst

Acoustic bass guitar:

JTAB-650ATB-1024x600.jpg

This also means that the electric version can have weird shapes while the acoustic ones not so much.

• Like 1