New Player, starting Seamus

benjoewoo

Utilizing pounce can be good, but that's only really good if you are using a belle bomb list, and it is really easy to take such a list to pieces with anything that does dmg in an aura, blasts, or explosive death effects.

Don't forget Yin is an enforcer ad can have an upgrade as well. I tend to favor Necrotic preparation or unnerving aura, with more of an emphasis on unnerving aura.

Hmmm, so then a 30 SS game is really restrictive on getting a larger body. I'd be looking at something like this:

Resurrectionists Crew - 30 - Dustup

Seamus -- 3 Pool
 +Red Chapel Killer [1]
 +Sinister Reputation [1]

Madame Sybelle [8]
 +Not Too Banged Up [1]
Rotten Belle [5]
Rotten Belle [5]
Yin the Penangalan [8]
 +Unnerving Aura [1]

With 35 I could put the nurse back in, I guess?

Remember that a big part of this game is building your crew to suit your strategy/schemes.  Early on you tend to be more limited by "what do I own", but eventually you're going to making substitutions depending on what individual strats and schemes you are playing for.  For the moment, I'd just grab an extra piece or two that play well in theme (Yin is amazing) and then look to broaden your horizon with scheme runners or some other thing.  Belles are reasonable schemers in a pinch, but they can't both run schemes AND play the lure game effectively.

You are in luck though, as 2 out of our 3 dedicated Scheme runners (Crooligans and Necropunks) are slated for release any day now.  If you want something *now*, canine remains are good schemers with their impressive walk stat.

How does a player go through good balancing options for scheme/strategy vs. fighting capabilities?

I watch videos, but they're mostly first edition, and when I look at crew creator, I see that 30 SS is used up pretty fast. 

I will have the canine from the McMourning starter, just not sure who I'd sacrifice, especially since canine is a 4, so I'd be looking at a Belle with a larger SS cache or an extra upgrade on Seamus himself.

30SS seams just a tad shy of what I'd like to see--normal?

at 35SS it seems like you'll have at least the basics--someone mentioned earlier small crew battles are tough, especially when there's a summoner. I think I understand why now.

It makes me a little concerned about how up hill my battles will be against my play group, given one will be a summoner (dreamer) and the other will primarily use Master/Henchmen single activation multi model kill combos. 

I guess that's the fun part about learning match ups and utilizing a near one hit KO attack.

I tend to find with seamus, if you bring sybelle, your belles work just as well at scheme running. And so I rarely being Crooligans or necropunks with him, though sometimes I need 1.

As for balance fighting vs schemes. That's all down to the player, the scenario, and the opponent. There really isn't a basic formula of take x many fighters and y many scheme runners because either might need to become the other at a moment's notice. Experience is going to teach you that the best, honestly.

Fetid, I see from some other posts of yours that you're a seamus lover. How do you deal with Dreamer? It seems from some other posts I've read that I play the losing models game while running schemes and the strategy. 

I am unsure how well this will work for me, and the dreamer player in my group does 1 thing pretty much every game: murder all the not his side models. Obviously getting VP is how you win, not just killing stuff, but if I end up getting a scheme/strategy he gets a scheme/strategy that is really just "kill X many dudes", how would you deal with trying to kill dreamer/crew effectively (particularly who to kill and why) and mitigate attrition?

I appreciate everyone's comments. Here's hoping not to get destroyed too badly when I get to play hopefully this coming weekend.

I don't play against the dreamer here much, so you'll have to take this advice somewhat as a theoretical exercise. In general, the best way to deal with a summoner is to put constant pressure on them directly. If they are burning their resources it's harder to have the resources to summon. Now the dreamer can get around that with his daydreams to some extent, but the theory is the same.

Watch for positioning mistakes. If a daydream ever gets too close to the dreamer, activate Sybelle, focus, and shriek at the daydream and go for blast dmg on the dreamer. Keep the dreamer in Los of your belles and try to lure him. If he won't end up near a nightmare he needs to have the mask in hand or use his stones before even flipping to see what come up.

Focus on your schemes and the strat, and don't get rattled.

Note that Dreamer always does a little summoning, but his big summoner power is on an upgrade. If he doesn't take it, it won't be too bad balance wise. You'll still see a big, tough, very killy monster on the board instead, but what can you do?

Well I want to blast the little boy with some 50 caliber flintlock rounds, but I guess that he'll just summon LCB one way or the other, even if he's dead, right? 

I.e., killing dreamer isn't really a priority, but disabling him is? So nurse him? Can nurse heal 0 wd and still activate paralysis? I'm normally a CCG player, and in some CCGs if one effect would have a 0 point effect it's considered not there, and any conjunctive effect fails as a result. I'm not so familiar with miniatures, so I'd like to know if a nurse could force a full health dreamer to take some paralyzing meds.

She can paralyze a fully healed model. A neat trick if you decide you personally like hanged, is to hit a model with whisper from beyond, and then heal and paralyze them with the nurse.

The condition will prevent their healing, but not the paralysis.

Fun for the whole family. 

Ok, getting pieces tonight hopefully and will be doing the super great painting method of a wall lline up plus spray paint.

I'm thinking I'll just get pink paint in an aerosol can

Among the models to be painted are: Seamus, my friend's Nightmare Edition Lady Justice, Sybelle, Copy Cat Killer, 3x Rotten Belles, 1x Nurse.

Will post pictures of the paint job later.

Tl;DR, I won't be aerosol can painting. Need to figure out color schemes for my disney princess crew lead by questionable Prince Charming.  

If anyone has a nightmare edition lady justice they'll let go of I'd like to talk with you.

So far I figure Sybelle will have to be normal, so purple corset, black lace, white-ish skin. All others except Seamus and CCK will be some disney princess. Figure Elsa, Rapunzel, Belle, and snow white are in order. 

Maybe I'll make them all rival schools for my college.

Another question: can the Seamus crew still pick up corpse counters and make off with them in 2E?