Jack Daw Project

Patzer

Gluttony, Sloth, and Lust are the ones I use the most often. Pride/Greed can be good but they are crazy fragile (as is Lust, but she plays further back). I like Envy a lot, but I like Sue more. Wrath is the only one of the Seven I never take (which is a shame because I love his model) because Daw or Bishop just do his job exponentially better.

I wouldn't generally take more than one of the Crossroads that has Manipulative because I don't like the pressure it puts on my activation order, and I often take Jaakuna who also depends on Manipulative to stay alive.

I like Gluttony in part because I almost always run a pair of Crooked Men, and comboing Shafted and Mad With Hunger is beautiful on the rare occasions that it works. He also has pulse scheme removal, (expensive) ranged scheme placement, and he's really efficient at punishing models that want to attack him. Sloth is a roadblock model with a very useful heal, I don't think any more needs to be said about that. Lust brings an embarrassment of positioning tools, both friendly and offensive, and her card draw trigger on Df is incredible. 

Pride and Greed both play well with Jack Daw's resource destruction game. If your opponent didn't bring a full cache - or is playing a stone hungry master - then Greed can put out a ton of damage, but you really want to combo it with Twist and Turn so that you're forcing that attack through twice a turn and getting ahead of the game. Pride has some frustrating anti-synergy, he wants to activate early to get work out of his aura, but he really needs Manipulative to keep him alive at range... It's tricky. You also want Twist and Turn to get the most discards out of his Song, but Daw already has the discard trigger on Suppressed Memories and only so much AP... I haven't been able to make the hand destruction game work the way I want it to, but it does make more opportunities to snipe models with Guillotine Injustice.

Sue and Daw are typically my damage dealers and I have trouble giving up Sue's incredible flexibility in exchange for Envy. The "free" focus might help Montressor but I just don't ever run him and if I did I would take VoidLoco to buff him instead. Wrath isn't bad, he's just really fragile and his taunt aura doesn't help matters. He does damage, and with The Bigger They Are he does insane damage, but he's a finesse assassin and Daw just hits those targets better in my experience. If I want someone to dive in, definitely kill something, and then die I'll take Bishop with Oathkeeper, he's well worth the extra points.

Has anyone used Dr Grimwell with Jack? 

I was thinking taking this gentleman, stick I Pay Better and Bigger They Are on him and suddenly he is becomes a scary monster. Torment him, push with Jack, drop a card for Focus, charge enemy model (with Curse or without) or Nimble and use Lobotomy for 10+ damage (if enemy model has attached upgrade). For pesky models with Hard to Wound or Henchman who can use SS, Doc can be obeyed by Jack to take Focus +1, then push, drop the card for another Focus +1, nimble and Lobotomy attack. Looks good ;)

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, daniello_s said:

I was thinking taking this gentleman, stick I Pay Better and Bigger They Are on him

not 100% sure, but "I pay better" only works on other models, not model that has it. You need to check wording and if it's aura or pulse. Also you have 12 ss in one model ;) so paralyze, enemy nurse etc. can ruin your day

23 hours ago, daniello_s said:

I was thinking taking this gentleman, stick I Pay Better and Bigger They Are on him and suddenly he is becomes a scary monster. Torment him, push with Jack, drop a card for Focus, charge enemy model (with Curse or without) or Nimble and use Lobotomy for 10+ damage (if enemy model has attached upgrade). For pesky models with Hard to Wound or Henchman who can use SS, Doc can be obeyed by Jack to take Focus +1, then push, drop the card for another Focus +1, nimble and Lobotomy attack. Looks good ;)

You, Sir, are the main reason I keep buying stuff for my Outcast faction! (thanks, by the way!! :D)

On 3/10/2016 at 5:19 AM, daniello_s said:

I had a similar plan once, but my neverborn opponent decided to paralyze him for two turns on that day :(I should definitely try him again.

On 3/10/2016 at 7:11 AM, daniello_s said:

As for conditions - I never leave home without Johana in Jack's crew ;)

That day I also made the mistake of leaving Johan at home. Never again...

I guess the next shade of Jack will involve some guildy doctor? :) 

I am ready to try my first game with Jack Daw. I have the folowing models. What do you guys think I should try?

The Drowned, The Hanged, Ama No Zako, Jaakuna Ubume, Crooked Men, Hodgepodge Emissary, MOntresor, Johan, the Guilty, Lady Ligeia, Sue

So I can't take them all. Please give me suggestions what to leave home. mostly I would like to play with Ama No Zako and Jakuna Ubume.

I have a lot of other outcasts models too but I would like to stay in theme a bit.

Crooked Men, Jaaluna, and Sue are staples for me. Johan and Drowned are situational based on enemy faction/strat/terrain. I've never tried the Emissary because it's hard to spend that much on a support piece - but I'm sure it's nasty.

The Hanged don't really work outside of a gimmick list, and I haven't gotten anything out of Ama that Jaakuna doesn't do better, though she could be nasty combined with the paralyze from the Crooked Men....

Lady Ligea is a never pick for me, she's just too swingy.

• Like 1

Had a couple of games with Jack recently and I am really enjoying him. I have found the emissary really help as most of his crew is quite slow but the emissary can get upfield and be used as a point to push to. 

Not sure I have managed to get the nurse to work yet, anyone have any advice on how to get the most out of her. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, daniello_s said:

Hijack this topic.

Today I'm playing a game (Interference and all non-killy schemes) with Jack. I'm not really sure if he fits for this role but I'll try. Of course report will follow shortly ;) 

I actually find Jack does ok in Interference as he makes models a lot more mobile than they usually are. I am tempted to try Montressor next time as he should be able to stop quite a few models from scoring.

12 minutes ago, PositronMike said:

I actually find Jack does ok in Interference as he makes models a lot more mobile than they usually are. I am tempted to try Montressor next time as he should be able to stop quite a few models from scoring.

That's what I'm hoping for but not sure if I'll be able to keep up against enemy Summoner or a master like Seamus who can jump around and pick up mu crew piece by piece. We will see tonight.

I have wanted to hire Hannah and Anna with the Emmisary, just to see how it runs (building them now! Lol) in a Tormented crew. 

I think each brings a good mechanic to Jack's crew. So my advice would be to run her in a few different pools and see how she does for you. What might work great for somebody else may not be your playstyle, so won't be as good for you.

56 minutes ago, SlackerLM said:

I have wanted to hire Hannah and Anna with the Emmisary, just to see how it runs (building them now! Lol) in a Tormented crew. 

I think each brings a good mechanic to Jack's crew. So my advice would be to run her in a few different pools and see how she does for you. What might work great for somebody else may not be your playstyle, so won't be as good for you.

But that is 30SS already. I presume you'll want Torment them so at least one Guilty must be included (35SS at this stage). If you take standard set of upgrades on Jack then you'll have 11SS left. So effectively you'll be on 7 activations max. A bit tricky/risky in my opinion.

Not for tournament play. This is more casual/theory play. Just to see how these models work together. I'll adapt the list as I play it, to fit how I like to play. I'm thinking

Jack- 3 curses, Writhing Torment,  The bigger they are 

Hannah 

Anna Lovelace 

hodgepodge emissary- Damned, curse

Librarian 

Guilty x2

It leaves me with his cache of two Soulstone,  but  I try not to use them when I'm learning a new master or henchmen. They are hard enough to learn as is, without the intricacies of the Soulstone variable.

I'd say change one Guilty for Nurse and Librarian for Hodgepodge Effigy. This way you'll have good SS pool left, annoying Nurse to wreck opponent's plans and Effigy which can help get a soulstone back when Jack kills something. Of course only two models can be Tormented (I'd say Hannah and Anna) but what should be enough.