Jack Daw Project

Patzer

I can see the Child being useful, being able to use Jack's Ca (1) abilities. If Jack takes Twist and Turn (and why wouldn't he?) and with the ability of the Guilty to hand out Tormented to friendly models, the Child can get a whole toolbox of abilities to use.

I don't think the Student really adds much to Jack. Fast is nice, but she has to use her entire AP for a turn to hand it out, so effectively you're using 2AP to gain 1. She works with the Viks because of the way they drag their sisters around, but for Jack not so much.

Ligeia strikes me as being brutally effective with her Betrayal effect but that does make her a priority target and she has to get close to the enemy. I'd take her, I'm a sucker for themed lists, but the opponent is going to want her dead. She is pretty tough though, so she won't go down easy. I'd give Jakuuna or Montressor Creeping Terror to give her greater influence.

When I construct crews for Daw, there is rarely any Soulstones left for totems. Jack's crews tend to be fairly elitey, and it usually comes down to either take the Hodgepodge or a totem, where the former usually gets picked. Simply because it fills the need of significant, strategy scoring, models. It also brings such things as anti shooting, resillience, and some Soulstone regeneration, which are both mint for Daw.

I have heard a lot of good things about Liega, but she is expensive and will not provide with any direct scoring. In addition to that she is very weak against shooting. Maybe she is worth it in some strategies, if you carve out a specific role for her.

Malifaux Child is a great filler model at 2ss, even though I don't think there is a outstanding amount of synergy between it and Daw. What I am alluding to is that the only spell that is worthile to copy is Feel Their Torment, and you will need a whooping 11+ to cast it. It might be a good way to get a third friendly model Tormented on turn 1, but other than that its use seems limited.

I have heard a lot of good things about Liega, but she is expensive and will not provide with any direct scoring. In addition to that she is very weak against shooting. Maybe she is worth it in some strategies, if you carve out a specific role for her.

Against melee crews her aura is outright brutal. Against any form of shooting, well she gets dropped fast. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So, still working on a battle report from a game I played some time ago. It will show up shortly.

I have got another game in though. This time against Resser Tara (played by Pejay) in Guard the Stash. Schemes were Bodyguard, Distract, Take Prisoner, Frame For Murder. I took Bodyguard (Lazarus) and Frame (Hodgepodge), my opponent went with Distract and Frame (Karina). Our crews were approximately: Tara, three upgrades; Karina, summoning upgrade; Nothing Beast, Void Sheild; Crooligan x2; Void Wretch; Hanged; Bete Noir; 5ss cache. Jack Daw, Curses x3, Twist, Writhing; Hodgepodge; Lazarus, Scout the Field; Guilty x2; Rusty Alyce, Scout the Field, Oathkeeper; Johan.

I managed to flip a Red Joker on the initiative flip on turn 3, which led up to that Rusty Alyce could smoke the Nothing Beast in two blows (Void Shield burnt after first severe). This really hampered my opponents hitting power and he couldn't really retaliate. Meanwhile Jack Daw and Lazarus controlled my right flank with little opposition.

Game ended 9-3 to Daw. Both got 2 from Frame, and Pejay got 1 strategy point too.

Important to note is that this were Pejay's third or fourth game with Tara, and he is still learning the ropes with her (which can be quite challenging).

Question about a thing that came up: Do Tara get +flips to initiative flips even when she burns a Soulstone for a reflip?

The game's MVP went undoubtedly to Rusty Alyce. She butchered the opposition in style, and I were extremely impressed with the amount of movement tricks she could get out of those upgrades. Jack didn't push her a single time, so she did outstandingly on her own. I am really looking forward to play her more with that set up in any Outcast crew, but especially with Daw who can throw her about a bit. I think there are heaps of potential there, since she can get pushed 3" by Daw to find better angles to Rapid Fire, get into melee, or burn her Fast for an additional 9" threat range. That severe of 8 is so darn easy to get. The no charge aura didn't save her from getting whacked a couple of times from the Nothing Beast, but it clogged the flank for a bunch of other models. All and all, Rusty impressed in heaps.

Even though they didn't accomplish much (besides netting me vps of the strategy) I have to say that the Guilty is really starting to grow on me. These guys are surprisingly mobile, as survivable as the come against physical attacks (will not be too eager to hire two against the likes of Neverborn), their card drawing abilities are a neat addition, and they make the crew's synergy go thanks to being able to make friendlies Tormented. They are so tricky that I almost felt that I played Neverborn for a while.

Hi all,
This (these, maybe) post(s) are going to be in the fashion of "throw back Thursday". I played the two of them a while back and haven't had the time to give them a proper write up. I probably won't remember half of what I should, but hopefully it will be worth your time. Here goes...

Game 1
Outcast vs Arcanists. 50 Soulstone game. Standard Deployment. Turf War: Vendetta, Breakthrough, Distract, Plant Evidence.
My opponents very interesting Ramos crew:

Ramos -- 4 Pool
 +Powered by Flame [2]
 +Under Pressure [2]
 +Combat Mechanic [2]

Brass Arachnid [4]
Arcane Effigy [4]
Coryphee [7]
Coryphee [7]
Mechanical Rider [12]
Rail Worker [5]
Rail Worker [5]

Jack's crew

Jack Daw -- 5 Pool
 +Drowing Injustice [0]
 +Firing Squad Injustice [0]
 +Guillotine Injustice [0]
 +Twist and Turn [2]
 +Writhing Torment [2]

Jaakuna Ubume [6]
Freikorps Trapper [6]
Hodgepodge Effigy [4]
Johan [6]
Nurse [5]
Strongarm Suit [10]
 +Scout the Field [1]
The Guilty [5]

I took Vendetta (Strongarm VS Mech), and Plant Evidence. My opponent took Vendetta (Rail Worker 2* VS The Guilty) and Plant Evidence. *My opponent did not favour this at all. He had expected to easily take a bit out of something with a Coryphee, but Daw's strong 6-5 Soulstone range once again provide useful.

The board. A lot of trees and forest areas near both deployment zones. In the middle there were a large graveyard area with plenty of hard cover. The walls to the graveyard where shifting between height 1" and 2", so some shooting lanes where available. 

My opponent deployed first. Bunched up mostly in the middle in order to get to the graveyard. Mech were place slightly to the right flank, and the Effigy and Ramos were at the groups far left.

I bunched up in the middle too, directly opposite of my opponent. SaS were deployed to the far left of my crew. The Trapper sneaked into a small forest slightly a head of the crew to the right. Thanks to Scout the Field I got to push the SaS 5" a head before we begun the game.

Turn 1

I got a fairly ok hand, but I stoned for more anyway. I wanted to use the SaS, and/-or Trapper to full effect from the get go. It was the right thing to do. I got 11 (rams) which I were really happy to get. Both players pushed onwards for position. Nurse made Johan walk a little faster with Take Your Meds. My Trapper got to a clean shot at Rail Worker 1, taking a wound of it. Then the Magic happened. My opponent had already moved his Mech further down its flank. Keeping it well in cover, and fairly protected in a grove of trees. My last two activations were Jack and the SaS. The Guilty had made SaS Tormented (and netted me another card in the process thanks to their lovely trigger), so Jack could make it walk with his (0), and when it activated it got to push 3" more. The SaS were now 19" up the field. It did its (0) for +1 damage, discarded its upgrade, and could then charge the Mech. I had gotten fairly lucky with my cards so I felt that if nothing went completely wrong, the SaS should be able to get the job done. The first attack through after both had cheated, I won the duel with a difference of 1, but I got the double ram trigger for an extra + to damage. Flipped a moderate, but cheated the flip with a severe for a whooping 7. On the next attack my opponent won the flip, I cheated in my highest card of 12 (of crows). He also throw down a twelve (of tomes). Damage flip resulted in weak damage, but with the crow trigger the damage could not be reduced. Mech went down. End of turn.

Turn 2

My opponent weren't too happy with the loss of the Mech. However, the SaS didn't have LoS to any new targets and would have to walk in order to do anything. Instead my opponent pushed through the meandering graveyard with his Coryphee. My Trapper tried to snipe it subsequently without any luck. We then took some activations of just pushing stuff onwards without much happening, the terrain were quite hard to get through. Stupidly enough I placed Jaakuna quite far a head in the middle of the battle field. Without her Manipulative ability she doesn't have much in order to defend herself. My opponent then made the Coryphees Dance to get some hitting power back. This frightened me, so I moved Jack and attached Firing Squad Injustice to the Duet, Daw then hit Rail Worker 2 with Guillotine Injustice. Daw were quite safe behind a ht 1 fence. The Brass Archnid then showed its worth, pinning the Duet with Reactivate. Johan tried to whack the Duet, but failed. The Duet then activated, got rid of the Curse, and stroke at Johan, who took 4 damage in the face. Strongarm placed a scheme marker in the forest and moved closer towards the battle. Coryphee then activated again and turned Johan into mush. The Nurse then tried to Paralyze the Duet, a discarded a card for the suit. My opponent won the flip, I threw down a 12, which he couldn't beat. Duet were once again on full wounds, but the danger were far from over. The Brass could give it reactivate next turn in order to get rid of the Paralyze, and so could the Effigy who were in range. Ramos finally sneaked up the field in order to get into position with all of his nasty auras. We both scored for the strategy. 1-4 to Outcasts.

Turn 3

My opponent won the flip convincingly enough for me not to throw a Soulstone. Arcane Effigy walked and got rid of the Paralyze of the duet, and gave Ramos some additional fire power (see what I did there?). Daw then activated, and pinned the Duet with Firing Squad and Ramos with Drowning Injustice. Jack made the Duet strike the Effigy for 4 damage, taking it down to its Hard to Kill. The Duet also took 2 damage from the Curse, ignoring armor! Daw then moved through some fences, behind ht 2 cover, still in the scoring zone. Duet activated, of the Curse, walked into the middle, took a damage from Jaakuna, but healed it. Guilty made the Duet Tormented (making the SaS loose the condition), hit the trigger for another card (I draw the Red Joker!), and moved into the safe heaven of Jaakuna's aura. Ramos shot at the Guilty twice, making it take 4 damage, burning +4, and walked further away from Jack, closer to the center (taking 2 damage). Nurse healed the Guilty, and tried to Paralyze the Coryphee. My RJ beat my opponents 13. Once again, I was out of danger (for now). Rail Worker 1 threw some coal on the Guilty and charged it. Taking it down to 1 wound. Rail Worker took 2 damage from Jaakuna, leaving it on 1 wound. Trapper got out of the woods and paced towards my opponents half of the table. Rail Worker 2, did the Assault (0), and then Charged the Guilty, with a flurry of ++ to attack and + to damage. Guilty went down. 3 VP netted. Rail Worker 2 took 3 damage from Jaakuna. The latter then activated and managed to kill both Rail Workers, that Ml 7 can be vicious. Brass Arachnid tried to Rewire and Stoke the Duet, but failed. My opponent didn't have any cards left, thanks to Guillotine Injustice. SaS made it down the flank into the graveyard. We both scored for strategy, all tied up at 5-5.

Turn 4

I won initiative. Daw activated, sneaked out from the shadows, made the Duet snipe the Effigy with Writhing Torment (it took 2 damage as well). I didn't have an all too convincing hand in order to take it down even though it only had 3 wounds left at this point. Then he shot the Brass Arachnid for a single damage, triggered and attached Guillotine Injustice. Daw then returned to safety. Ramos activated, and healed the Duet to full wounds, taking (2 damage, down to 6wounds), he tried to shoot Jaakuna, hit her once for 2 damage, and then he summoned three Spiders from one of the scrap markers the Rail Workers left (down to 4 wounds). Coryphee activated thanks to Accomplice and Charged Jaakuna (taking 1 damage from her aura), and made short work of her. With its last AP it tied up my Nurse. Nurse then activated and tried to hit the Duet with Meds, failed twice, damn +wp flips. Spider 1 activated and went past the centreline. Trapper walked and threw down a third marker for plant evidence. Spider 2 took cover in the graveyard behind a ht 1 fence. Strongarm Suit activated and charged Spider 1. SaS just got a small glimpse of LoS to it. My opponent hadn't paid to much attention to it, since it hadn't taken part in the action for a turn. It made short work of the little spider. The last spider made a run for my half of the table too. Both players scored for strategy. Still tied at 6-6.

Turn 5

My opponent won initiative again. Activating Ramos who walked once, prevented the damage from Drowning, and shot the SaS twice. Leaving it on 5 wounds. He then Accomplice the Duet who hit the Nurse for 4 damage, pushed 4", and swung at the SaS. First swing did a humble 2, second a RJ on a negative flip. Killing the SaS. Duet took 6 damage from the Curse, but healed 3 of them. I activated Jack, went through the fence once again, charged and killed the Brass Arachnid. The remaining Spider walked once and threw down a marker. Nurse Paralyzed Ramos. Hodgepodge threw down a fourth marker. Trapper a fifth. Both scored for strategy, leaving the score at 7-7.

We flip for another turn. Since I had the game sealed at this point,I didn't want any extra faux. Bad things happen, I guess.

Turn 6

I won the initiative. I activated the Nurse who Paralyzed one of the Spiders and made the other only being able to take Ml actions. The remaining spider walked once and dropped a second marker. Since the Coryphee is quick enough to place the third a final one, I had to try and get it. I activated Daw. Took back Drowning from the Paralyzed Ramos, walked once, and attached it to the Duet. Daw then tried to make it take a walk action, but failed. Once again, darn +flips. Duet, on 4 wounds, did its heal (took 2 damage but healed 3) to get to 5 wounds, it could then walk once and drop the third marker, taking 4 damage. Leaving it on 1 wound. I tried to hit it once with the Hodgepodge, but failed miserably. No turn 7, and the game ended in a tie 10-10.

Outstanding game, I had loads of fun. Could have won if three flips went differently, or if my opponent wouldn't have had that severe for healing the Duet at the end of the game. Ramos with Coryphee was disgustingly good. So much healing, and plus flips. Wish I brought a Hanged to set the healing straight. Powered by Flame was pretty cool. With Ramos and the Effigy its even better. Getting +2 Burning on a Ca 7 really boosts Ramos hitting power from afar. Paying 6ss for upgrades is a lot, but Ramos worked really well with that set up.

MVP of the game, hands down, The Nurse. She single-handedly hold down the enemy forces at times and setted up a bunch of scenarios where I could have won. Outstanding effort from a 5ss model. Strongarm Suit get an honourable mention too. Without it taking out the Mech Rider so early I would have lost the game.

With that said though, my opponent thought that bringing the Mech Rider were the biggest reason why he didn't run away with the game. If he had brought Howard, and hired a Electrical Creation instead of one of the Brass Arachnid, he could have dominated the middle while sending of Spiders to each flank from turn 1.

Second game recap, here goes.

40ss against Sonnia. Hard times, to say the least. I often perform poorly against Sonnia, she often gets the better off me. The pool were Squatter's Rights, Distract, Outflank, Breakthrough, Frame For Murder.

My crew: Jack, Writhing Torment, Curses x3, Twist and Turn; Hodgepodge; Nurse; Johan; Guilty; Convict Gunslinger; Desperate Mercenary x2. Cache 3.
My opponent took Sonnia, Imprint; Malifaux Child; Brutal; Witchling x3; Fran, Wade in; Austringer. Cache 5.

I took Breakthrough (unannounced) and Frame For Murder (Convict Gunslinger). While my opponent opted for Frame For Murder (Witchling 2) and Outflank, unannounced. Since I lacked a killy master/henchman I felt ok with Frame For Murder around. Didn't think my opponent would go for Breakthrough since his crew lacked a bit of speed. Would have to watch out for it though, as well as not letting a late game Outflank slip through.

I deployed first. Fairly scattered. Desperate Mercs took a flank each while the rest of the crew were increasingly deployed towards the centre of the table. My opponent deployed nearly all of his crew to the middle while the Malifaux Child and a Stalker 1 took on the right flank.

Turn 1

Guild wins initiative. Outcast gets to activate first. I draw a rubbish hand. Both mostly moved their respective forces. Daw made the Gunslinger Tormented, and the Guilty made Johan Tormented (hit the trigger to draw yet another crap card). Guilty were still almost at the centerline thanks to its own and Daw's pushes. Sonnia blocked off the middle marker with Flame Wall, while the Malifaux Child made on of its own just in front of the one on the right flank. Nurse made Johan +2 walk, and the former were also near the centreline behind some cover.

Turn 2
I discarded my whole rubbish hand, and draw yet another one! Only got one severe card. So I stoned for yet two other low value cards. At this point, it didn't matter too much since my deck were pretty set to be in my favour. At least that was I telling myself. Guild won initiative and made Outcast go first.
Gunslinger pushed 3" thanks to Jack's aura and fire away at Stalker 3, hit for 3 damaged, triggered Trigger Happy and got 3 more in. Stalker triggered Drawn to Pain twice and blew up in Gunslinger's face. Making it burn. Second AP resulted in 2 damage on Stalker 2, who triggered Drawn to Pain.
Austringer made Stalker 2 flip the middle left marker.
Guilty walked and flipped the middle right marker.
Sonnia activated, went to CA 9, blasted the Gunslinger twice. Getting severe on the second hit, killing it. Netting me 3vp. Daw and the Nurse were both hit by blast damage for 3 damage each. Last AP Sonnia took up the Flame Wall again.
Desperate Merc 2 on the left flank made it to the out most left flank and flip the marker.
Witchling 1 flipped the right most marker.
Franc charged the Guilty, hit on the second swing for 3 damage.
Nurse walked once, and Paralysed Franc. Red Joker on the attack flip.
Malifaux Child walked once. Cast Flame Wall again near the marker.
Desperate Merc 1 walked towards the middle.
Stalker 2 charged Daw. Missed both swings. Kind of suspected that was the Frame target then.
Johan walked once and hit Franc for 3 damage.
Brutal Effigy activated, flipped the middle marker.
Daw walked twice, got away from Witchling, hit Sonnia with Firing Squad Injustice and 1 damage. Completely left in the open.
Hodgepodge lurked toward Desperate Merc 2.

Guild 1, Outcast 4.

Turn 3
I threw my hand again. Luckily I draw a quite strong hand at last. Guild won initiative.
Brutal Activated. Casted Don't Fear the Sword on Sonnia, and went double defensive. Accomplice to Sonnia. Who discarded some cards, went to Ca 9, and fired away at Daw. She connected for 5 (prevented 3), 2. 2, damage. Leaving Daw at 4 wounds. Sonnia took 6 damage herself thanks to the Curse, but she healed 1 wound for each attack thanks to the Effigy's very potent condition; leaving her at 8. Daw's negatives to damage flips really kept him alive here.
Nurse walked once, Paralysed and healed Daw. Accomplice Johan.
Johan walked once. Cast Rebel Yell on Daw, reliving him of the Paralyze.
Stalker 2 walked once, got rid of Franc's paralyze.
Desperate Merc 2 walked once, took defensive stance.
Franc flurried on the Guilty. Killing it. Healed 1 wound.

Daw charged Sonnia. Pinned her for 3 damage (prevented 3), and took Firing Squad back for another 2 (prevented 1) damage. Daw missed the second strike after a Red Joker flip from Sonnia. Third hit landed for 2 damage, and attached Firing Squad again. Daw then used his (0) to make Sonnia take 2 damage from making an attack action. Leaving Sonnia at 3 wounds.
Austringer shot Desperate Merc 2 twice. Missing the second attack. Leaving it on 1 wound.
Desperate Merc 1 walked behind some cover near the middle.
Malifaux Child double walked towards my opponents deployment zone. 
Witchling 1 walked towards my deployment zone.
Hodgepodge walked once past the centreline. Defensive stance.

Guild 2 - Outcast 5

Turn 4

Initiative would be crucial for this turn. Unfortunately it went to Guild.

Brutal did its usual bit of giving Sonnia Don't Fear the Sword, then it Focused shot Daw for 1 damage. Accomplice to Sonnia.

Sonnia cast Inferno. Focused and Swung at Daw. Red Joker on the Damage flip for a whooping 7 damage. Daw had 5 wounds remaining at this point. Sonnia took 1 wound. This meant that she couldn't make the final strike. She instead went defensive.

Johan charged Franc. Leaving him on 1 wound.

Franc healed 2 wounds. Walked and swung at Johan for 4 damage.

Nurse double walked towards Witchling 1.

Austringer hit Hodgepodge once for 1 damage.

Hodgepodge walked once. Dropped a marker.

Malifaux Child cast Flame Wall in front of the Desperate Merc. 

Daw activated. Shot Brutal Effigy, 1 damage, triggered Ghost of Malifaux. Attached Drowning Injustice, and 1 more damage on the second swing. Made the Brutal take a walk action and it perished. Flipped the middle marker with last AP. 
Witchling 2 double walked towards the left flank. 

Desperate Merc walked past the flame wall.

Guild 3 - Outcast 6

Turn 5

I drew a crap hand again, but won initiative.

Johan flurried on Franc. Killing him.

Stalker 1 walked twice towards to the centreline-edge for Outflank. 

Hodgepodge walked once, dropped a second marker.

Austringer made Sonnia push 2" towards left flank.

Daw walked once flipped the remaining Guild marker.

Sonnia walked towards the edge-centreline for Outflank.

Desperate Merc walked once. Dropped a marker.

Game was pretty much over here.

Outcast 10 - Guild 5.

Impressions.

The speed of Daw's gang continue to impress. Even those seemingly measly 3" pushes does a lot. 

My opponent hadn't played for quite a while, so he did a lot of mistakes he usually wouldn't do. Especially regarding what to do with Confiscated Lore, and the interaction between Franc and Sonnia. Also, this was the first time he faced Daw, which can be pretty though.

MVP of the game. I guess it have to go to Daw himself. He did a little bit of everything for the crew. His own speed and the might of the Curses hampered the opposing crew a lot.

I quite liked having the Desperate Mercs around. Sure, they die like flies, but Disguised is freaking awesome on them. It is also nice to simply bump activations.

Another model that I felt worked with Daw is the Gunslingers. With the additional movement shenanigans Daw can provide, they are pretty stellar gun turrets. Will try to bring two at some point. 

The Johan and Nurse combo continue to kick ass and take names...

Hello,

for months I have kept you waiting for this post (lol), but here it is... The model run down for Jack Daw.
Actually I will write a couple of posts about the crew and lessen scoop. Simply because it is easier to read
and to write. The entries will be divided as follows: henchmen & totems, enforcers part 1 & 2, and last but not least minions.

Henchmen

Rusty Alyce

Trusty Rusty Alyce is hands down one of my favourite models to bring with Daw. She is a generalist beater,
who can bring the pain from a multiple of angles. Clockwork Seeker is a really good gun, with a solid damage
track. A nice kicker is that it ignores Hard to Wound. Hence, it is a good anti-resser tool. What really makes
her stand out is her incredible melee damage. With a trigger she can discard cards and get + to damage for each
card discarded. Throw that together with the fact that she's got a severe damage of 8.
She packs some crew synergy with her anti-charge aura, but it's of limited for other models than herself.

Daw can speed Rusty up a fair bit. She isn't slow to begin with either. The 3" push she can get from Writhing
Torment is mint though, since she's got Rapid Fire. Daw can set her up with her having to use any ap or burn
a trusty Oathkeeper (which is often the case if you want her to function as a gun turret). The 3" push also
increases her charge's threat range to a total of 11" (3"push, 6" charge, 2" ml rng), which is nothing to sneeze
at.

Rusty is really strong against willpower attacks, as well as Shooting, while significantly weaker against
physical melee damage. Her aura will help with that some, but once enemies are engaged be certain to have
some extra Soulstone for prevention. She isn't in need of back up that much, since if she gets a chance to
retaliate; she will!

Upgrades to take with her: Scout the Field, Oathkeeper, Tally Sheet. There might be some reasoning to bring
her summoning upgrades too, but I think there are better options.
And she can still summon by killing stuff in melee.

Models to bring along: Librarian, Nurse.

Taelor

A very hard hitting melee monster, with great resiliency. She wields her trusty Relic Hammer with high precision, and can attack single targets as well as groups of enemies with damaging pulses. With a trigger she can hinder Soulstone prevention, which makes her quite a threat to masters and henchmen.
What really makes her stand out is the (0) action "Welcome to Malifaux", which gives her a condition that lets her charge any summoned model in range. This makes her great against Ressers in particular, but all summoners have to think twice when Taelor is around.

Taelor is very slow, but Jack Daw fixes that for her. Nurses can speed her up on turn 1, while Jack can push her if she is becomes Tormented and obey her to take extra walk actions. By turn 2, Taelor is always in place in a Jack Daw crew. Jack himself doesn't mind copying her Ml 7 Relic Hammer either.

Upgrades to take with her: Tally Sheet, Oathkeeper, I Pay Better (great tech to get with her (2) action).

Models to bring along: (the usual suspect): Librarian, Nurse.

We will flip over to the first batch of Enforcers next time. See you then!

• Like 1

I love Taelor anyway but ran Jackdaw for the first time and she was the only non-Tormented model I brought to the party (who quickly became Tormented on the first turn!).  I stacked two Cursed Upgrades on Lilith (the attack and tactical action ones) then Taelor burned Oathkeeper so she could walk and charge and I had to high cards and Lilith only had 8 wounds so burned a SS for no damage prevention on the first attack for min damage 4 and by that point my opponent had no SS left so I hit her again for another 4 damage to kill her on turn two.  It was a thing of beauty!

• Like 1

I love Taelor anyway but ran Jackdaw for the first time and she was the only non-Tormented model I brought to the party (who quickly became Tormented on the first turn!).  I stacked two Cursed Upgrades on Lilith (the attack and tactical action ones) then Taelor burned Oathkeeper so she could walk and charge and I had to high cards and Lilith only had 8 wounds so burned a SS for no damage prevention on the first attack for min damage 4 and by that point my opponent had no SS left so I hit her again for another 4 damage to kill her on turn two.  It was a thing of beauty!

It ain't easy when it's hammer time...

• Like 1

Turn 3
Johan walked once. Cast Rebel Yell on Daw, relieving him of the Paralyze.

Just a heads up that when you give Jack Writhing Torment it also makes him immune to paralyzed. The nurse can heal him freely.

Turn 3

Just a heads up that when you give Jack Writhing Torment it also makes him immune to paralyzed. The nurse can heal him freely.

Nope as the Writhing Torment says Jack is immune to Paralyze only from enemy actions, so friendly Nurse will Paralyze poor Jackie if she administer him her precious meds :D

Turn 3

Nope as the Writhing Torment says Jack is immune to Paralyze only from enemy actions, so friendly Nurse will Paralyze poor Jackie if she administer him her precious meds :D

It's paralyzed "if it is applied by enemy models". While you are still 100% correct about friendly Nurses being unable to keep Daw from their own paralysis, this is an important distinction to bring up. It isn't just actions, it's abilities (such as Terrifying) or similar such things. Super relevant in some cases.

:D

~Lil Kalki

• Like 1

Enforcers

Lazarus
A lumbering hulk with a grenade launcher, who can put out lots of Blast markers in melee as well as from distance. Lazarus is very resilient with a healthy amount of wounds, Armor +2, and the ability to heal himself. Daw's crew can at times be quite squishy, but Lazarus certainly makes up for that.
Offensively Lazarus preferred modus operandi is to attack from range. He's got a solid damage track and can lay down plenty of area of effect damage while hitting moderate and severe. Thus, Focus is a condition Lazarus loves. The tactical action "Automatic Fire" is more or less a better "Rapid Fire", who lets you fire 3 shots at 3 targets of your choosing. One of Lazarus biggest weaknesses is speed, since he only sports a walk of 4". Jack can speed him up immensely.
I like to attach Scout the Field to Lazarus to get him up even further early, and grant him the ability to ignore LoS for a single Focus shot. With all those blasts, it can be pretty mean. Between Scout, Writhing Torment, and Twist and Turn, Lazarus can move 11" without moving once with his own AP. Lazarus is also slightly terrain dependent to be effective. Since he requires LoS to shoot. Although he is ht 3" and can ignore some terrain that way, it is still a great hindrance to his onslaught. Be aware of stuff that can ignore Armor!

Upgrades: Scout the Field, Oath keeper.
Who to bring along: Vanessa is a strong candidate, since she can obey Lazarus around. He also likes other
constructs, due to being able to copy (1) action from them with a (0). Sadly enough, Jack doesn't pack a lot
of constructs.

Librarian
Another Freikorp staple that works very well in Jack Daw crews. Its main draw is its solid heal. It simply brings another dimension to Daw's crew. Keeping Hanged or Jaakuna alive in their native faction can sometimes be quite hard, or relying on Nurses who will paralyse them too. Librarian will just keep them rolling. In terms of supporting the crew, Librarians can also strip enemeies within 4" of all their Suits related to Sh, Ca, and Ml stats. If Daw's crew got the upgrade Creeping Terror it further enhance the aura by 1". Yet Offensively the Librarians are quite capable. They got Furious Casting, which functions just as Rapid Fire. Their attack can provide with some Blast damage, or draw cards through Surge. Defensively Librarians have enough tech to keep around for quite long. They got ok stats, Armor, and Freikorps Armor, and they can heal themselves. However, they will fall to a concentrated attack. All and all, they are just solid. They rarely do something fancy, rather they are the glue-guys for the crew.

Upgrades: Oathkeeper
Who to bring: Anyone really.

Strongarm Suit
The third unit from the Freikorps who Daw simply loves to bring along. The SaS is simply a monster. What makes it so good is its versatility that comes from its (0) action. It can either boost damage, the Sh stat, or put up a damaging shield against Ml attacks. Granted, it can only do one thing very good each turn.
From a far the SaS doesn't do as much damage as in melee, but it is still a solid attack with a few good triggers. One dishes out Slow, while the other makes models killed by the attack unable to drop any markers. Up close is where the SaS can lay down plenty of hurt. With Augmented Jump, it can charge even though it is engaged, also ignore terrain and other models while charging. It still requires LoS. With the (0), the SaS can get +1 damage to melee attacks, which makes its damage track completely bonkers. It also got two very good triggers. One that grants a positive while damaging, and the other ignores any reduction. The latter makes the SaS very good at handle Riders. Defensively it will stick around thanks to Armor +2, a batch of wounds, and simply being slippery enough.
Even though the SaS doesn't lack speed, Daw can make it uber fast. Together with Scout the Field, Writhing Torment, and Twist and Turn the SaS can charge anything within 28" turn 1 (standard deployment). Blitzing with the Strongarm is usually worth it, since it can almost always get out of harms way the following
turn. It is great to do against straight up threats to the crew. It can really set an opponent on their back foot from the get go.

Upgrades: Scout the Field(!!!).
Who to bring along: Someone that can make it Tormented for at least a turn (e.g. Lady Liega, or Guilty).

Convict Gunslinger
A mid-cost gun turret. Their main stick is Rapid Fire, and being able to shoot even more with a trigger. So with plenty of luck, you are shooting 6 times in an activation. That will rarely happen, but 4-5 isn't unheard of. They got a built in plus flip to their attack and doesn't care a lot about cover thanks to it.
They haven't a lot of tools to keep themselves around for long though, besides an ok wound count, and being able to gun down what is threatening them.
Daw helps them a lot by getting the Slingers in and out of position with Writhing Torment. Once they are made Tormented they make a very neat pairing with The Guilty. Tormented models doesn't flip cards for them while randomizing a target in an engagement. So as long as the Gunslinger can see an engaged The Guilty, it can fire at another model.

Upgrades: if any, Oathkeeper.
Who to bring along: Librarians, or Nurses to help them stay alive. Guilty to tag victims.

Sue
The man in black is an outstanding addition to any Jack Daw list. Sue is very versatile, packing a very impressive mix of survivability, crew support, and offence. Sue is fairly slow, making him Tormented in order to get some extra pushes will mitigate that weakness. Sue can support his fellows with an - to casting aura. Dish out Finish the Job, and destroy scrap/corpse markers on that action's trigger. He can also draw a card at the end of every activation if he take 1 damage. Fluffy enough it is called Hurt.  Defensively Sue's got a few tricks to keep him around. He's got an ok amount of wounds, Hard to Kill, and the -ca aura. He also got another aura which lets enemey model who end their activation within 3" of Sue gain the Burning condition. NB. Either aura are activated through a (0) action, so you can only have one active a turn. If any Tormented model got the Creeping Terror upgrade, Sue's auras will extend even further. On offence, Sue packs a punch. While only having sh 5, Sue still got an in-built + flip and a ram. With Critical strike as a possible trigger, Sue can sport a very impressive damage track. On a tome Sue can finish totems upon hit, unless they discard 2 Soulstones; making Sue the games designated Hungering Darkness killer. In addition, Sue's range is a very impressive 12".

Upgrades: Oathkeeper.
Who to bring along: Sue likes to have some healing in order to use Hurt consistently. Just like the Convict Gunslingers, Sue can also benefit greatly from having Guilty around to pin point targets.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to drop a +1 for the convict gunslingers with Jack. I've been running two with a guilty out in front as a sort of beacon to get engaged with whatever I want to evaporate. Keep Jack near the slingers and they can get enough movement wackiness to be able to rapid fire almost every turn. It's a great package for mulching a huge portion of the board. Keep the slingers tormented and in good firing lines and they can quickly kill their points back or give you massive board control advantage.

I'm still very new to Malifaux, so take this with a grain of salt, but it's been rage-inducingly good for me so far. I won my first Nythera game and the convicts ( I named mine Wild Bill and Bullock) were definitely the MVP's.

• Like 2

Has anyone given any thought to running a Desolation Engine with Jack?  Seems like it could pretty easily be in your opponent's face by turn 1, plus with all the obey shenanigans you could churn a pretty healthy amount of attacks out of him (plus the potential added bonus of making him tormented and increasing his blast/pulse/aura) range.

• 2 weeks later...

A Nurse often pulls its weight and then some. Johan too. The Guilty is one of the best minions in the game; one or two of them is a staple. Hodgepodge Effigy brings some additional survivalbility at the cheap. 

The heavy hitter spot is often a toss up between Lazarus, Taelor, Strongarm Suit, and Rusty Alyce. Depending on if I premier shooting/melee or a little bit of both. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2015-11-06 at 6:02 AM, Khyodee said:

I'm surprised there is not much mention of using Envy or Wrath with your Daw crews (mostly Envy). Both can pack a serious punch and the extra movement tricks only help to keep them safe from retaliation.

When I get back to play Daw again, Envy will probably see a lot of table time :)