Jack Daw Project

Patzer

Drowned vs Crooked Man - which one do you preffer and if both then in what ratio? Since Jaakuna is a must have in my crew, I was thinking about taking 2 Drowned and 1 Crooked Man unless I'll face Guild then I would take them vice-versa.

How about you, guys?

This is all good stuff.  I have been playing JD for several months now. I started out being awful with him, but now I regularly get 7-10 VP with him.  A few things I have learned:

Montressor is mostly not worth it, but there are a couple of cases I might take him:

1) Frame for Murder (he loves to die)

2) If I want to Paralyze models (I dont take him for killing)

3) Against Gremlins he seems to perform best.

As for crooked men vs drowned, it depends. Drowned are slightly better in general.  Drowned are better if you think your opponent will be heavy melee, crooked men if your opponent has more shooting. 

Also there is a way to build a JD crew where you just paralyze everything. I like this crew with Cursed Object and schemes where you are not trying to kill but interact with models.  Crooked Men, Nurses, and even Montressor can actually work here. Takes a lot of crows though, and if you do take Montressor he is going to use a lot of soul stones to do his job.

Of all the Masters I have played, JDs crew choices seem to be the most dependent on what my opponent is playing and my schemes and strat.

Had to drag this from the depths of my memory but here is an old JD trick I used to use:

Take Crooked men or the Drowned. Both of these models drop (NOTE: Not interact) scheme markers when they die. If one is close to death on the centreline, for a 1 action they could interact to drop a scheme marker. You can then use Jack's zero action to discard a card to drop scheme markers when a model dies, and kill the crooked/drowned. This will then drop 2 more scheme markers, meaning LitS is almost completed in 1 go. 

Also works well with spring the trap - particularly with the Drowned in combat with the master (as they are more likely to hang in there)

I've had a recent re-think about Montressor, and think that he might work very well with Lalega and some hanged in the crew. Uncheatable horror duels that damage you when you suceed seems to offer much more to his worth.

Not somethign for every list, but certainly worth a look to give him some worth.

Drowned are better in Ml, Crooked men are better Vs Shooting. Personally, I'm not a fan of the dangerous terrain list, its a bit to gimmicky for my tastes, but they are both decent minions in their own right. (but I don't currently own Drowned)

I should mention the best thing about Crooked Men, if you can pull it off, is dropping scheme markers and then activating Shafted.  JD can push tormented models into the scheme markers, Jakume can lure them in, or you can just put them in front of models to hamper charges. Combining that with terrain checks starts to get nasty.

Montressor can work with this tactic, drawing people into scheme markers.

I've had a recent re-think about Montressor, and think that he might work very well with Lalega and some hanged in the crew. Uncheatable horror duels that damage you when you suceed seems to offer much more to his worth.

Not somethign for every list, but certainly worth a look to give him some worth.

Drowned are better in Ml, Crooked men are better Vs Shooting. Personally, I'm not a fan of the dangerous terrain list, its a bit to gimmicky for my tastes, but they are both decent minions in their own right. (but I don't currently own Drowned)

This can work but be careful on your positioning with the hanged. Due to Montressor's larger base and height, he can block LOS to the hanged, nullifying their aura effect.

Really liking this thread. :D

Few points, ravenborne makes great points - I suspected Daw was Outcasts answer to Gremlins and the more I play the more I think that he is. Also, Guilty w/ JD is just about the best scheme runners outcasts have.

As far as JoAT masters go - JD is one of the weaker ones - mostly because he needs initial setup as compared to something like the big Z. I mean all she does is obey and yet I feel I can accomplish anything provided I execute my strat properly... or, you know, play on godmode with Collette to really feel the difference conpared to Daw. Having said that he is still a solid "blue deck" master thst will mindfuck an opponent or two.

If you want a real JD project, you should design a new JD crew that doesn't look like balls. ;)

I, too, use an old geedubs metal banshee for ligeia and the wyrd twisted apparitions are best guilty models you'll ever find. I plan on using exactly 0 modes from the new plastic kit. ;)

Keep up the awesome JD love. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi yall!

Got another game in, will do a longer write up soon. However, I just needed to throw some praise at the Strongarm Suit with Daw. I took the SaS with Scout the Field, JD had both Twist and Turn as well as Writhing Torment. We had standard deployment, and with all the movement shenanigans available I made the SaS go 14" up the field (total of 20"). It would then charge 7", without needing LoS, which ended up killing a Mech Rider on turn 1. It did some later heroics too, but Ill save those for the full report.

The potential of having a 3/5/7 damage track, with the ability to ignore reductions or get a positive damage flip is so freaking good. Its shooting attack is very accurate too, even though you will need to commit to it for a turn. Both of its triggers are very serviceable. With JD it becomes very nimble, and together with Scout the Field makes it threat anything 29" away on turn 1 (in standard deployment).

Maybe it's just my fad-style mania speaking for me but i want to use this as a proxy for Jack at some point soon lol (after all, Count Olaf IS a seeming master of torment):

$%28KGrHqV,!ksE-oERV3%28vBP628wOr9Q~~60_

whatcha think, to those in the know? Shame that trailer was fanmade :P

~Lil Kalki

Well any beatstick becomes scary fast when tormented, looking forward to a full rep Patzer

Might be true, but when it can charge while engaged and ignore things that blocks its onslaught things get a wee bit more interesting.

I have just picked up Jack Daw myself, and will get my first game with him tomorrow. :) Hopefully, I will be able to dish out the vengeance as well! :P

One of the theoryfaux:ing ideas I have is to run Daw (with Twist and Turn) with Hannah and a Hanged. Then you have 2 additional models who can use Whispers from Beyond if needed. :)

Another possible trick is to see if I can get both Firing Squad Injustice and Drowning Injustice unto an enemy model, and then obey:ing the model to attack Daw (with the upgrade to give him Terrifying). The model should then take 2 damage from declaring an attack action, 2 damage when I cheat low to fail the terrify (by failing the simple duel) and then end up paralyzed. 

While these tricks sound good in my mind, I'm curious to see if they would actually work in the field. Let the trials of guilty and innocent alike begin! :D

• Like 1

Getting a bit behind on the posting here, but I will get up to pace (soonish!). At least I got another game in against a local Marcus player, who kicked my teeth in.

Game was 50ss interference, with A Line in the Sand, Frame for Murder, Assassinate, Protect Territory, and Deliver a Message. Schemes I usually enjoy. I took revealed Protect and Deliver a Message, and my opponent took Frame (on a war rabbit, converted to a giant Jackalope!) as well as Assissinate.

My crew: two Trappers, Johan, Lazarus, Guilty, Nurse, Jack Daw (all curses, WT and TaT) , and Jaakuna. My opponents crew: Marcus (Trail of the Gods, Feral Instincts, Arcane Reservoir), Myranda (Imbued Energies), Sabertooth, two Molemen, War Pig, Waldegeist, and a Jackalope.

There were plenty of shooting lanes, but still a lot of cover and buildings around the table. All terrain were hard cover.

I deployed first, spread my crew out a lot. Johan, Nurse and a Trapper had one flank. Lazarus, Jack, and the Guilty in the middle, and Jaakuna and a Trapper on the other flank.

My opponent deployed the Molmen and Waldegeist at the centre, with the War Pig by it self on his right flank, the rest of the crew deployed on the other flank.

In the end, I would have gotten tabled. Marcus hit me hard and quick with his crew. While I couldn't keep up with the killing. The crew my opponent composed was quite sneaky in how many activations it could produce. Myranda turned into another Tiger and Marcus casted Alpha on a bunch of stuff. This kept, to my demise, Marcus in the back of the field, which hindered all attempts of Deliver a Message. Game ended 7-0.

I made a bunch of mistakes throughout the game. First being the crew. In Recon/Interference I like to either be able to replenish, or to kill enemies at a rapid rate (a man called Leveticus can do both, thus is my favourite Recon/Interference-master). Preferably the latter. My crew had some hitting power, but lacked in the end. And it couldn't match in resilience either, Waldegiests and Molemen are very sturdy if you don't have anything that can pierce through Armor. I probably should have tried to get another big beater in, like Taelor, SaS, or Bishop.

Next mistake was the schemes. I took the right ones, but I didn't execute them. Jack and the Guilty should have been able to do Deliver a Message with all of their movement tricks. If Marcus had gotten a Curse on him, a Guilty (within 6" of Daw) would have had a threat range of 9" to get the Message delivered, which should have been enough in the mid field.

In my first games with Daw, I have had the luxury to keep the troops somewhat together. While in Interference, that is something you cannot simply afford to do. On top of this I didn't want to overextend Daw from the get go, so he ended up not doing much at all. If I instead would have attacked the middle with him (i.e. the Molemen and Waldegeist). That would have forced Marcus to come out too, if I had put the Curses on the middle gang it would have made life harder for the henchmen-master part of the opposing crew. In other words, what became apparent for me during this game was Daw's range. To get a feel for his midrange game is pretty hard, his influence often stretches 6-8" around him. With an action spent on walking it can be as much as 11-13". Its hard to balance that while you want to influence two flanks of the board. Frankly its impossible. I made a choice where I wanted to attack with JD, and it was the wrong one (especially since the Marcus led, melee oriented ((!!!)), part of the crew would have had to travel through the no-scoring middle.... oh hindsight...).

So lessons learnt.

*Marcus is a tricky nasty dude that I need to play one day.

*Daw's range of influence can be limited in games where the battle takes place over the whole board. Read the field, and pick the right battle. 8-13 inches isn't that big (lol).

*Recon/Interference sure seems hard for Daw, but this game were far from over from the get go. I will need more practice with how to best utilize Daw's tools in those kinds of strategies. 

The War Pig was a real threat. Luckily I had the tech to deal with it in a very economical manner.

I wonder if Marcus, Sow, two Merc Pig Hearders (can't remember what they are called, lol), some Wild Boars, and McTavish would work. Plenty of synergy at least, no idea if it would be any good.

The War Pig was a real threat. Luckily I had the tech to deal with it in a very economical manner.

I wonder if Marcus, Sow, two Merc Pig Hearders (can't remember what they are called, lol), some Wild Boars, and McTavish would work. Plenty of synergy at least, no idea if it would be any good.

You would have to choose between 2/3 of the mercs you listed, but it sounds scary enough haha

~Lil Kalki