Von Schill... I Can't Seem To Get It.

the proxy union

• 3 weeks later...

Von Schill reminds me a lot of the Fringers from the old Star Wars Miniatures game: You can have a lot of elite (seeming) models, but you pay for it, where as you would prefer to have more average to elite models in your list.

That doesn't mean he sucks! I think he's great. He's meant to hit your opponent hard. It's just that this game is based around having models that can surprise your opponent and do Absolutely One thing Well, and sometimes that's the game changer. 

And if you think VS is slow, compare him to Rasputina for speed! (Though to be fair, she's good at shutting down your speed)

So far in my games I wasn't able to get his crew behind the middle of the board. So out of my experience if you play von Schill you have to pick schemes that you can fulfil in your part of the table.

I pay better + Trappers are worth gold. No hiding, good chance of a straight damage flip - that means to cheat severe (6) damage in the first activations of the game. That's foreseeable, but most likely inevitable for the enemy as well.

Just a note that you'll only get the 6 severe damage from a Trapper if you flipped or cheated a Ram for Critical Strike.  It also means not taking the Resposition tigger which can sometimes save his hide.  That said, I Pay Better and Trappers is a beautiful thing. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Drool Bucket and Kadeton make really good points. I like Von Schill a fair amount. Unlike other masters, I have a pretty set core Von Schill that operates very reliably (all the usual suspects, Hannah, Trapper(s), librarian(s), Lazarus or Strong arm, etc). I really like him against Neverborn, and he can do a number on Ressers as well. Universal armor and good guns is great, while ignoring pulses and blasts occasionally screws people. They may have fewer activations, I usually run around 7ish, but you don't lose too many activations as the game progresses due to the amount of healing available. For example, there have been games were I have lost only 1 or 2 models due to steam trunk healing, librarians, and 'not really but exactly the same as' hard to kill. Also you can make abominations if you want to up that number. 

Usually I play Von Schill in tournaments if no master comes to mind as being especially great in a strategy or scheme. He's a great master to have in your pocket during a tournament because most people gear towards Levi/Jack/etc when you declare Outcasts, so you can game that a little bit. 

Von Schill himself is only lackluster if you expect him to punch above his weight. Passively he does a lot for the crew with engage at will and legend to live up to. Augmented Jump can really catch people off guard and allows him to leap frog to juicier models pretty easily. The min damage in the crew is pretty high which offsets his knife a bit (and Schill's gun is min dam 3, that's pretty great). Cracked is a great trigger. 

All that being said I find that he plays pretty linearly so I can't play a lot of games in a row with him without getting a little bored. However, I tend to prefer casting/support masters. 

Edited by Arash_Suri
  • Like 1

So far in my games I wasn't able to get his crew behind the middle of the board. So out of my experience if you play von Schill you have to pick schemes that you can fulfil in your part of the table.

Don't know if I agree with that.  Augmented jump is pretty good for this.  Don't forget, you can jump over the model you're attacking and drop in behind that model, and you can even charge when engaged.  You can cause a bit of havoc jumping over the top of enemy lines, and if you have the upgrade that gives him Hard to Kill (forget which one it is, but I always take it), then he'll be able to run around causing a bit of mayhem.  You also could be in a good position to use his 3AP ability the following turn.  Though I generally don't like him as a scheme runner.....and I do think the downside to his crew is mobility; Freikorps aren't brilliant scheme runners, IMO.  

I played a game with Von Schill again recently and honestly I just find him a bit boring.  He's a tough old geezer and solid and everything he does whilst bringing some good buffs for his crew but honestly he's just a bit boring for me.  I prefer the shenanigans that other Masters can bring as they're so much more interesting.  Even the Viks who are as blunt (well, sharp!) an instrument as you can get are a lot more fun.

Also remember the Strongarm Suit. He's like a mini-Von Schill in many respects.

Actually most of the time it feels like Von Schill is a mini Strongarm.....this beast does so much work in my VS crew. Free focus plus teleport charges via STF in cash money. He creates a 10 inch no-go zone for key models

• Like 1

I played a game with Von Schill again recently and honestly I just find him a bit boring.  He's a tough old geezer and solid and everything he does whilst bringing some good buffs for his crew but honestly he's just a bit boring for me.  I prefer the shenanigans that other Masters can bring as they're so much more interesting.  Even the Viks who are as blunt (well, sharp!) an instrument as you can get are a lot more fun.

I know what you mean.  Viks are a little the same, just run at stuff and kill it.  All my crews have wound up being a little similar like that, with no real 'tricks'.  Having said that, it makes vS a good master when I'm too tired to think how to play intelligently (ie how to best place the Viks against each other)

• Like 1

I enjoy running Von Schill but disagree with the above post about schemes that you can complete in your own half.  The Korps models are very flexible and allow for a lot of shoot (or hit) and move.  Granted if all you want to do is stand there and either focus and fire or fire as often as possible then yes, you are going to be pretty static but it isnt too hard to shave your opponent down whilst advancing into better scoring positions (in my experience).

My only real difficulty with him is who to take (or more appropriately who to leave behind) when crew creating as no matter how hard i try, i struggle to justify Bishop, Strongarm and Lazarus all in the same list.  They compete for max 22 stones (oath keeper on the lucky chosen) then its trapper, librarian (another oath keeper possibly), that only leaves space maximum 2 more cheap minions or 1 and the trunk.  Its at that point that i have to boil down the strats and schemes to see what will be more important. 

Also remember the Strongarm Suit. He's like a mini-Von Schill in many respects.

Actually most of the time it feels like Von Schill is a mini Strongarm.....this beast does so much work in my VS crew

In my experience it is exactly that way. Von Schill is the mini version of the Strongarm.  

My standard Von Schill loadout is the following:

Von Schill, survivalist, oathkeeper, shirt comes off

Hannah - oathkeeper, i pay better

2 trappers

steam trunk

librarian

The rest of my list tailors to what the schemes/strats are. It doesn't leave a lot of room but it's a beautiful thing.

Key points:

1 trapper is whatever.. two trappers own the board and cripple opponents, especially if you're playing on planet bowling ball (which most tournament tables are)
With schills ability to negate terrain when charging whatever the trappers dont cripple him and hannah take care of.

My turn 1 usually the crew advances except for trappers who take a double focused shot or if the opponent also has shooting they'll focus, move, then shoot.
Turn 2 is trading firepower. With I pay better, you can sit in cover and unless it's Leve or Perdita, you're outshooting them and healing yourself. If they leave an opening for oathkeeper hannah and oathkeeper vonschill I take it, otherwise i cripple further from range and hit hard on turn 3.

Hope this helps any von schill enthusiasts; He's an amazing tool to have in your arsenal as his crew puts out an above average amount of damage and are straight up counters to many other crews.

With that said I like the internet not liking him, it makes the curb stomping that much sweeter.. bwahwhwha! :D

• Like 2

The new Emissary brings quite a lot to Von Schill - in my game with him, Von Schill took his shirt off three times, even though he didn't start with it. That big bubble of terror tests is a nasty thing for many crews. A Strongarm with Regen was also pretty tasty.

It is another expensive model in an already small (and non-summoning) crew though, and it's also more 'discard a card' actions you need to plan for. The Freikorps already have an abundence of them and you're going to want to save some cards for actual cheating with...

• 2 weeks later...

I've played Von Schill for the first time last night and he is tough mother-cracker :)

He survived 5 attacks from Killjoy (on the last wound thanks to Survivalist) then next turn Bete Noire flurried on him and not only he still stood his ground but being extremely pissed he killed Tara and then Bete. More will follow shortly on my blog.

Long story short - I like him :)

• Like 1