PoisonTail's Malifaux (Marcus' crew) - w/ Dawn Serpent 02-01-2017

PoisonTail

A couple of months ago a buddy and I began our Malifaux venture. Previously we have been playing Fantasy, 40k and LotR so miniature games are not unfamiliar to us. (I'm not too keen on 40k these days.) Hopefully well get someone else into the game soon as well. (Scheming to start Gremlins to add variation as well as have an extra crew ready for some buds coming over.) Locally our FLGS has had Malifaux on the schedule Saturdays, but I'm not sure it has stuck. But before we take on that route we want to learn the rules a bit better (only 2-3 games in so far).

But it's great fun!

This first post of mine (here) is actually a celebration of getting my Cojo painted. Toot! (Sorry for the harsh/dim lightning,)

cojo_malifaux_arcanists_marcus_monkeyman

(Will be retroactively add the other painted Marcusians soon.)

Thanks for reading!

/PoisonTail

• Like 5

Nyt!

What I painted very first after getting my Marcus box was the Jackalope. He seemed sympathetic enough... And it was a good place to test how Wyrd Malifaux minis felt under the brush. (You gotta start small... ;) )

For more words click here.

dsc_09101.jpg

dsc_0911.jpg

The Baron I have here at home acted colour model.

• Like 1

That is amazing! I am seriously digging your base work too, if only I could make bases like that. Keep 'em coming!

Pidetään nyt osittain enkussa niin jengi uskaltaa liittyä keskusteluun. Harmi, ettei nähty näitä ropeconin turnauksessa! Millainen peli porukka teillä on kasassa?

The bases are actually very heavily influenced by Moetle’s and Sybarite’s bases seen on these forums, with some adjustments according to my own tastes and product availability. After playing Warhammer with loads of models, and little space on the (often hidden - in the case of the models in the middle) bases I now revel in opportunity to work on the bases.

I have only played a few games yet, so any tournaments and such will have to wait until I learn the rules a bit better. :D So far there's only two of us six playing Malifaux, but I imagine one or two more could be lured. Especially if they get really disappointed in the new Fantasy changes (I can only win with the coming new ruleset). The local FLGS Fantasiapelit have organized some Malifaux games on Saturdays in the early spring, so they might be another place to go... Also two of our group are really breaking our 40k by going to a completely different level of lists. Using the Community Comp rating as an arbitrary measurement of hardness from 0-20(30) (soft to super hard) we have mostly played super friendly at 5-10/12, but they are going 20 and above with Tau and Necrons (incidentally one of them grabbed some Eldar during the last week). What I am trying to say is that I feel it's time for me to look elsewhere. :)

As a side note: How do you get hold of minis in Finland? Fantasiapelit would probably stock or order if asked, but right now they are listing mostly 1 ed sets (w/ the exeption of starter boxes).

Dig that white gorilla, might straight up steal that idea for my marcus crew (all albino everything!) 

Thanks! I've also done a more northman-like (not so tanned & rather blonde) Marcus, will post it here as soon as get in the mood. ;)

Really nice looking Cojo! How did you do the fur? It looks great. Is it a bunch of small, dash-like highlights going in the same direction?

Yes. It's basecoat (dheneb stone)-> shade (sepia)-> basecoat "highlight" -> and a last few of highlights with an increasingly white Dheneb Stone and white mix. These last mixes don't have to be very close to each other to give a smooth transistion, as the highlighting was done as "fur-stripes". Just remember to do it the same way as the fur. If one lookes at animals, you actually almost see the general hairs in the fur where the light hits. (My bunny got so pissed he almost punch me in the face when I had stared at his fur for three and a half hours straight.)

Too bad the Pound is so strong at the moment.

Yeah. I would not have imagined it would affect this much. The ebay-fu is weak as well due to that. ;( Although that might be a saving grace.)

• 3 weeks later...

Squeek! I forgot to add my take on Marcus! Well, here he comes. Giving him dark hair and a deep bronzed skin remind me so much of my old gym teacher that I just... no. So I went for something a little different - a light skin, and even a little moustache. I am quite satisfied how he turned out. (That moustache's makes him a bit Burt Reynoldsy, doesn't it?)

dsc_0935.jpg

dsc_0934.jpg

dsc_09322.jpg

A couple of more pictures can be found here.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Thank you, all of you! :D

Just prior to my vacation it got a bit hectic at work, meaning little energy was left for updates here. But maybe it's time now?

So here's my first hoarcat pride! I am surprised to see so little written about them here, and so few mentions of them in crew lists. Especially the Hunger Cry + Manipulative Combo sounds promising. (Not that I have any statistically significant evidence of that, but still..) ;)

dsc_09281.jpg

dsc_09291.jpg

And here together with my take on Myranda. I'm loving that shapeshifting she can do, especially when there's quite a lot to it with the wheres and whens.

dsc_09361.jpg

More words on these geezers you can find on blog posts on the hoarcats and on Myranda. Now on the table (or in queue to, really) is a waldgeist, a moleman and the razorspine rattler. 

Thank you for visiting! And if you have any sneaky and/or plain clever things you could do with the hoarcats I'd love to hear more about them!

• Like 2