Gen Con 2015 Malifaux Events

Justin

Hey all,

This thread is so you can easily peruse the Malifaux events for Gen Con 2015! Please post all event questions here. In addition to demos and events for the RPG we have the following lined up for Malifaux:

Title: Catalina Grind Mixer (Enforcer Brawl, Avatar Qualifier)
Description: The long-standing Catalina Grind event in the Pits of Malifaux's 7th Ward determines who controls the district until the next Brawl. This is a 3 Round Enforcer Brawl. Note: The Gen Con events lists this as 25 Soulstones which is incorrect. it is a standard Enforcer Brawl.
Event Cost $6.00
Start Date 2015/07/30 04:00 PM
End Date 2015/07/30 10:00 PM
Qualifier: The top player advances to the Avatar event.

Title: Masters (Gaining Grounds, Avatar Qualifier)
Description: Let fate decide! This is a 3 Round, 50 Soulstone, Gaining Ground Fixed Faction event. 
Event Cost $8.00
Start Date 2015/07/31 10:00 AM
End Date 2015/07/31 06:00 PM
Qualifier: Top four people qualify to advance to the Avatar event.

Title: Coryphee Downtime Dance (Henchman Hardcore, Avatar Qualifier)
Description: The intriguing Dance of the Coryphees entices a Henchman when the master isn't around. This is a 3-4 Round, 20 Soulstone, Henchman Hardcore Fixed Crew event. 
Event Cost $4.00
Start Date 2015/07/31 08:00 PM
End Date 2015/07/31 11:00 PM

Title: Welcome to the Boxcar (Henchman Hardcore, Avatar Qualifier)
Description: In the darkness of the box cars, it gets dangerous, fast. This is a 3-4 Round, 20 Soulstone, Henchman Hardcore Fixed Crew event. 
Event Cost $4.00
Start Date 2015/08/01 10:00 AM
End Date 2015/08/01 02:00 PM

Title: Brawl in the Hall (Enforcer Brawl, Avatar Qualifier)
Short Description Can you survive the pit? This is a 2 Round, Enforcer Brawl event. Note: The Gen Con events lists this as 25 Soulstones which is incorrect. it is a standard Enforcer Brawl.
Event Cost $4.00
Start Date 2015/08/01 04:00 PM
End Date 2015/08/01 08:00 PM

Title: Avatar of Malifaux (Invitational)
Description: You've manifested, but making it to the finals isn't the end. There can be only one true Tyrant of Malifaux. Will it be you? This is a single elimination, 50 Soulstone, Fixed Faction event. Note: The Gen Con events lists this as Fixed Crew which is incorrect, it is Fixed Faction.
Event Cost $0.00 (to enter you must have met a previous qualifier)
Start Date 2015/08/02 09:00 AM
End Date 2015/08/02 04:00 PM

All tournaments use the official Gaining Grounds document here: http://wyrd-games.net/community/files/file/52-gaining-grounds/

All Enforcer Brawls and Henchman Hardcore events use the official rules here: http://wyrd-games.net/community/files/file/170-alternate-m2e-tournament-formats/

See you there!
  • Like 1

Honestly, when I look at this line-up - I am pumped for the event. I love the amount of different events being offered, even if others don't. You can tell that "fun" is taking a primary placement over "competition." We'll see if everything goes smoothly at the event itself and then with slight corrections I believe that this will be a great event to support a great vendor at a great convention.

See all of you wyrdos there! >8)

Question: I was told that Justin Gibbs is coming in full cosplay as a Shikome - nipple guards and all - is this true? Thanks.

• Like 1

Does "Fixed Faction" and "Fixed Crew" mean that you can only bring the Factions/Crews from a specific list? If so, will we know what they are before signing up? I only have models ready for one Faction and one Crew.  :mellow:

Also, is the Sunday tournament actually expected to last 7 straight hours? That possibility is deterring me from trying to sign up.

Thanks

I'm assuming all of these will be fully painted required for all events, correct?

For Masters,

Will it follow the Gaining Grounds 2015 New Rotation Strategy/Deployments for July-Sept?

Any chance we are going to get the Schemes per round announced in advance?

Can't wait to see everyone there! (Except for those with nipple guards...)

Does "Fixed Faction" and "Fixed Crew" mean that you can only bring the Factions/Crews from a specific list? If so, will we know what they are before signing up? I only have models ready for one Faction and one Crew.  :mellow:

Also, is the Sunday tournament actually expected to last 7 straight hours? That possibility is deterring me from trying to sign up.

Thanks

Fixed Faction means when you play the tournement, you must pick a faction. All games you play in that tournement will need to be from that faction. But your crew does not need to be the same in each round, you can change the models in it, and even the master as long as you are still playing the same faction.

Fixed Crew (for the hardcore henchmen games) means you play with just the same crew in all rounds.

I think the avatars is a knock out invitational tournement (Invites are obtained from winning/placing well in the earlier tournements).

If you play all 3 games in it, it may well take you the 7 hours. Since that is going to be 3 full games of Malifaux, it will take that long, since games are about 2 hours long.

Likewise if you choose to play in the masters event, expect it to take most of the 8 hours to play your 3 games in.

Hopefully you can find something in there that will work with your schedule!  If not, I'll always play a pickup game with you... just for fun!

Yeah, my main problem with stuff going in the middle of the day is that I don't want to ditch my friends who don't play Malifaux for several hours to play in a tourney and that I also like to run around and demo as many new boardgames as possible; Malifaux is only a portion of why I go to Gen Con. Last year I only got in a couple games off hours because I definitely overbooked myself, but should be able to get in a few more this year.

Fixed Faction means when you play the tournement, you must pick a faction. All games you play in that tournement will need to be from that faction. But your crew does not need to be the same in each round, you can change the models in it, and even the master as long as you are still playing the same faction.

Fixed Crew (for the hardcore henchmen games) means you play with just the same crew in all rounds.

I think the avatars is a knock out invitational tournement (Invites are obtained from winning/placing well in the earlier tournements).

If you play all 3 games in it, it may well take you the 7 hours. Since that is going to be 3 full games of Malifaux, it will take that long, since games are about 2 hours long.

Likewise if you choose to play in the masters event, expect it to take most of the 8 hours to play your 3 games in.

This is all correct.

Full painting is required.

Not sure on the strategies/schemes at the moment.

This is all correct.

Full painting is required.

Not sure on the strategies/schemes at the moment.

Yay for painting requirements! Looking forward to seeing fully painted crews on the table!

Question for the "Welcome to the Boxcar" henchman hardcore tourney--are proxies of other Wyrd miniatures acceptable for out of production models not yet available in plastic? Specifically, would an alt. Rasputina model be an acceptable proxy for a Silent One as the metal Silent One is out of production with no new plastic out yet?

Anybody else think it's a little odd that most of the Avatar qualifiers are very swingy, odd formats instead of Gaining Grounds? I know it takes more time to do a 50ss GG tournament, but in my experience, HH and EB are crazy unbalanced, a single bad hand v. your opponent's good hand and you're done. Also kind of disappointed by the lack of achievement league and story encounters. Those were fantastically fun last time I was up there.

Anybody else think it's a little odd that most of the Avatar qualifiers are very swingy, odd formats instead of Gaining Grounds? I know it takes more time to do a 50ss GG tournament, but in my experience, HH and EB are crazy unbalanced, a single bad hand v. your opponent's good hand and you're done. Also kind of disappointed by the lack of achievement league and story encounters. Those were fantastically fun last time I was up there.

There was a big topic about it a while ago, bottom line is wyrd wants Gencon to be " for funzies" and they rather run more random events this year then stick to "50ss where the game was balanced" tournaments. It may change next year but this year its set in stone.

There was a big topic about it a while ago, bottom line is wyrd wants Gencon to be " for funzies" and they rather run more random events this year then stick to "50ss where the game was balanced" tournaments. It may change next year but this year its set in stone.

Oh, I certainly wouldn't have expected it to change this year, and I love the for fun stuff way more than the competitive, which begs the question, what happened to the achievement league and story encounters? Why focus on qualifiers for the Avatar as all of the events?