Forging a Fated: Alice Crow [First try pls be patient] :)

-TIE-

A few days ago my ruleboke arrives and after I read through the rules I create my first Fated Char.

From "normal" roleplaying I used to have an Idear what I want to play before I create a char. So I want to play a Performer bcs. I am in love with the showgirls crew from Colett back the days I played the tabletop. But all changed after the card flipping  :) thats malifaux :) and it becomes a little bit complicated. Mybe you can tell me if I do it right.

I shufle my deck and the Station Card was: :crow 13 = Resurrectionsts -> mhh...okay...

The Western Card was: :ram 13 = -1/-1/-1/+3

The Northern Card was: :mask 5 = 3/2/2/1/1

The Eastern Card was: :ram 3 = -2/-1/+1/+2

The Southern Card was: black joker = 2,2,2,2,2,2

All after all some good drawing but the Station changes all. Anything else than a Graverobber will be a shame I think :D

I put the Physical Aspects like this:

Might: -1

Grace: +3

Speed: -1 / +1 (later modified with the 2 free points to +1)

Resilence: -1

The Mental Aspects are the following:

Intellect -1

Charm +2 (the Showgirlidear dont left my mind)

Cunning +1

Tenacity -2

The Derived Aspects are:

Defense 4 (with skill)                Willpower 4

Walk 5                                      Charge 5

Wounds 4                                Height 2

As mention earlyer I think I should now choose the Graverobber as a Pursuit. Under Gear it was written "I must choose a Magical Theory" okay I think I dont read about magic atm bcs. I dont think my first char should cast spells...malifaux strikes hard and I go over to the Magic chapter in the rulebook.

As the normal (?) Magic Theory for a Resurrectionist my choice was "The Whisper" :+fate  to all Necramancy duels / :-fate  to all intellect duels (thats match my Mental Aspects and feels right for the char)

Than I got a spellbook...Grimoire with 1 Necrmancy Magia, 1 Enchanting Magia and 3 Immuto.

I choose Mind Control and Elemental Weapon for the Magia and Darkness, Poison and Alternate Resistance für the Immuto. Ovarall I was a little bit suprised that there are no more spells for each magic, but maybe with later books comes more spells.

The skills I allocate like this:

Root Skills

Her parents waste no time, as long a little girl laugh if she tear off the wings of fly´s she had to learn the cruel art of the Resurrectionsts and think thats normal!

Necromancy 3 (5)

Enchanting 2 (4)

Evade 2 (3)

Stitching 1 (2)

Doctor 1 (2)

Endavor Skills

As she grows up she had to learn the hard and the sneaky way to gain what she want without to expose her true nature.

Pistol 2 (5)

Flexible 2 (5)

Stealth 2 (3)

Bewitch 2 (4)

Deceive 2 (1) (Intellect -1)

Centering 2 (0) (Tenacity -2)

Station Skill

One last gift from her parents in darkness was the art to work with this gems called soulstones. She see the light in the gems when her parents die. Souls are never lost and death means nothing behind the breach.

Harness Soulston 1 (3)

At last I chose my Talent: Specialized Skill -> Adding :mask for Necromancy (Idk if it is usefull, but I will see after a few games).

I think that was all...a nice Char...oh no my Fate :) :

Once your soul has been stained by silence

your journey will never begin

and you will pan the gutter´s glitter.

The Circle will bind as well as the grave

and you stumble upon the line of life and death.

Sounds good for a graverobber...whatever it means :D

So now some questions. Can this Char, with this equipement cast spells from the first minute on, or have I do anything else after the first game? Choose another Talent or something else!? I understand that with the graverobber pursuite and the grimorie and the "must choose a magical theory" the Char can cast spells? If not pls tell me!

A short story to the Char comes if I know it´s right what I do.

The skills should be match with the life an earth the char had, ghastly necromancy parents and ever an the run. Weapons who arent to heavy and easy to hide (Revolver, cut down shotgun, whip), and skills to avoid beeing imprisoned or executed on sight, and after all something that their parents teach her.

At last I have to say sorry for my english but I am not a native speaker and far from a good writer with horrible gramma :P

Alice real Name isnt known, she was an unloved child from a Eastend so called easy girl and a sailor from Ire. Her Mother gives her the deep black hair and her father the clear, deep blue eyes but nothing more. Short after her birth her mother was annoyed, the crying of the small girl upset the "customers". She decided to give her to the fate, a small piece of wood, a basket and two pence for the feryman were her last gifts to the child than she throw the baby in the brown water of the Thames. But the fate was gracious to the little child and she reach a dark, deep cavern, one of the dead ends under London and this cavern where the hideout of a strange couple. Three Finger Sue und John the One a pair of Necromancers who dwell deep under the city. At first they only take the pence but later this night they came back for the little girl. They dont know why, but they both here the Whisper and it says it was right.

So they call the Girl Alice and later as her hair grows longer and revealed the deep shining black like crowfeathers she gives her the surename Crow. Alice grow up and as she becomes old enought the they helps Sue and John, cooking, housworking, carrying equimpent and later they teach her reading and the dark arts of her magic. Her childhood was marked with constant secrecy.

How older she grew ye more she are a part in the rituals and on one sad day her parents got caught, and there where no way to escape. The both end at the execution docks and three times the flood washes over her dead bodys. Finaly the death collects his fees. And the young woman where alone again. One last gift from her parents in darkness was the art to work with this gems called soulstones. She see the light in the gems when her parents die. Souls are never lost and death means nothing behind the breach so she comes throug the breach. She know as long there are soulstones she never truly die. During the day she works for a morgue, her parents teach her a little bit about human anatomy and she isnt shy when she saw a corps. At night she sneak around the city to find something to help her to improve her magic skills.

[PERSONALITY]

Alice thrust noone, never. She learns the magic and know its forbidden, the fate of her parents in mind she dont want do die because she talks to someone wrong. So for other people she acts cold and stay at distance, watch and maybe later make the decission to trust someone. With the living she is a little bit uneasy and someone may misunterstand her and think she are conceited. In lack of human company she often talks to herself or the corpses she washes and prepare for the coroner. She had the repuation to be a little bit creazy, a corps whisperer, but (luckly) innocent one. No one sees in this young woman the resurrectionsts she are.

[Appearance]

Her outstandig marks are her deep blue eyes and her black hair. She is from leight build, with slender, rangy hands. She wears old but sturdy cloathings with a wide leather coat for the rainy and cold days and against the dust in the hot summer. Her all day companion is a old hat with a single crowfeather at the hatband. During her wanderings through the nightly Malifaus her Gun and a whip completes her outfit.

• Like 2

I'd probably drop one of the ranged attack skills (probably Shotgun) in favor of Centering to try and get your Wp up a little. Otherwise looks like a fine character to me. The system really lends itself to allowing characters to grow in different directions if they want to.

Yes, you can cast spells now. Just be careful not to use it around any Death Marshals :D The  :mask will certainly help with the more mental focused Necromancy spells.

• Like 1

1)  Thanks for the play-by-play of your thoughts in concerns with building your character.  I always love to see how other people go about building their stuff.

2)  As DGraz said above, she can definitely cast her Mind Control spell just fine right now (you'll need to flip or cheat a 5 of any suit minimum to do so).  Then you'll just have to compare your total (the same total as your TN challenge) against your target's Willpower to see if you both successfully casted and successfully affected the target.  Alternate Resistance could prove to be an awesome Immuto for this as you can choose to target Defense instead (though you'll then have to flip/cheat a 7 or higher, minimum.)  Elemental Weapon will be a bit more annoying to cast, but it should be fine (you'll have to flip or cheat a minimum of a 5 :tome for either one unless you want to increase the duration of the Dark or the magnitude of the Poison).  Note that you can only add either Poison or Dark with a single casting of the spell though.

3)  Your Defense is actually 4 since you only add Evade's ranks, not its total AV.

4)  You also have 10 scrip to spend on whatever equipment you like.  If you want to make sure you have one of the weapons you have skill with, then I'd look to that as choice #1.  From there you can get armor or just fun knicknacks like watches, clothes, and booze.

5)  I agree with DGraz that you may have too many fighting skills.  It's not bad if that's the focus you want the character to have, but you could broaden her horizons a bit.  Centering would definitely make you more durable against Willpower duels.  You could also aim for another skill to have a high AV with (like Lockpicking), or just any skill since you can't cheat a duel unless you're trained with the skill.

Continuing the thought on skills, you didn't divide your skill allocations in the way the book talks about, and that could help you to build your story.  The two halves are great for fleshing out where your character(s) came from, and what it is they now strive to do.

She's looking to be great so far! 

• Like 1

thx DGRAZ / ZEEBLEE (your comment comes in at I wrote this post) yes you´r both right the skills where choosen on the flight. It was a little bit like the summer sale "i need this, this, this, this...and...yes this all too!" :D So Centering would be the smarter choice!

Nice to know that with the right cards a char can cast spells at the beginning and yes you are right again "...be carfull..."

1)  Thanks for the play-by-play of your thoughts in concerns with building your character.  I always love to see how other people go about building their stuff.

Yeah I like it too and it helps other to understand why I do something and can help to help me bcs. they know my idea behind it.

Note that you can only add either Poison or Dark with a single casting of the spell though.

I think so. It should be a little bit situational Darkness -> Blinds a target so I can run away if I dont need to finish him. Poisen, for this char, was the same Idear...let the Poison do the work during I run away. Maybe that makes him busy and he wont follow me. It give´s me a bigger chance to survive, indirect style of fighting for a not so tough char.

So realy thx for you post and opinions about the char.

Very cool.  And great for inspiration for potential recommendations!

For home maintenance/repair you could go with the skills Homesteading and/or Stitching (Stitching is also used for repairing and building undead minions).

For carrying stuff all the time:  Labor.

I love the names you gave her adopted parents.

Okay, I need more skillpoints. :D

Than the Shotgun change to centering and art to stitching. Painting graveyards are than a fluff only, but nothing what she makes very professionel. Sometimes she try to sell a picture...but with no great success.

One thing to note about Stations (sorry if this was posted earlier):

The Station is the life you grew up in as a kid. What were your parents doing when you were growing up. This could mean something to you, or it could mean nothing. Alice could always dream of the stage, but the world of corpses she's lived in her whole life is pulling her down.

• Like 2

yes right, I understand that but realy :) such a "luck" to flip this card. Thats a sign of true fate and I will follow this calling :crow :crow :crow

Maybe the stage comes later and until this moment she dreams from it. With this parents and her life she didnt had a chance to train her expressionistic skills. And one fine day in her future her fate change and somenone teach her, ther are more than dead corpses to follow. Atm her childhood is to present as she can break with what she had learnd.

Now I think I am done with her.

The final changes are made. I dived the skills to root, endavor and station skills, each with some small (story driven) explanation why she learnd it. I also update the Backround a little bit acordingly to the station skill explanation.

Shotgun and Art Change to Centering and Stitching and I mention that I forgot one 2 Point Skill from the Black joker. This points went into Deceive bcs. she need to lie alot if she was asked for her parents / her childhood and so on. Sometimes a shy smile didnt help.

thx for all who help with their comments to create this char. Feel free to use it as a fatemaster char or randome encounter in Malifaux if you want.