I'm excited to try Vincent for generating additional corpses alongside the Emissary

I tried Anna and wasn't impressed, mostly because she doesnt jive with anything he does besides being controlly and potentially generating mindless zombies. The fact she is living means she cannot get + flips to Df duels nor be healed by Decay. If she could, she would be a damn near auto include along with the Emissary. Rush of Magic is great for cycling throguh the deck, but I still prefer Phillip for that. 

• 10 months later...
12 minutes ago, Da Git said:

Has anyone tried Nico with Malifaux Child? 

S/he seems really good, being able to copy Rigor Mortis and Decay to give out Fast to friendlies on a 7+ or heal on a 10+, both with :+fate. 

I have using rogue with mlh over emissary. Its pretty nasty. Rogue is extremely nasty and when you can keep it topped up on health and fast it kills most things. The down side was huge focus on rogue as corpse generation was quite low so first 1-2 turns doesnt have a lot of threats out. If going emissary,  wouldn't recommend it as emissary is not undead so no buffs for him and i dont care enough of my summons to give fast indiscriminately, only when a job is extremely important will a specific undead get fast. Such as steel student facting ashen core before ashes and dust come back next turn. 

23 hours ago, Kinginyello said:

I have using rogue with mlh over emissary. Its pretty nasty. Rogue is extremely nasty and when you can keep it topped up on health and fast it kills most things. The down side was huge focus on rogue as corpse generation was quite low so first 1-2 turns doesnt have a lot of threats out. If going emissary,  wouldn't recommend it as emissary is not undead so no buffs for him and i dont care enough of my summons to give fast indiscriminately, only when a job is extremely important will a specific undead get fast. Such as steel student facting ashen core before ashes and dust come back next turn. 

I was thinking of using it with a hired Kentaroi, that way I can get it to tow Nico for one walk and then change on turn quickly, dropping another Corpse marker to summon off. 

• 1 month later...

Necrotic King is OK if you plan on using it properly. I have difficulty sometimes getting good use out of it myself. It is a good upgrade, but as you say, Nicodem is spoiled for choice. Love Thy Master is common one with those two and the new Circling Buzzards could add some early game summons up-field for you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freman said:

Nico seems a bit like Hoffman. A close-range support master who doesn't want to be in the thick of it, but doesn't want to be too far off either.

It really depends how much the opponent can threaten him. If they can't do much, he can play relatively close to the action, and he wants to since his auras and buffs are why you play him. Be careful of high min damage, mobile, models - they can easily squash him if you don't control the pace of the game. 

Nicodem projects multiple bubbles of support and threat. Important ranges to know are 6" &  8" for his Aura's and (0)s, while his raw spells have longer reach. Once you know what enemy models you have to look out for you can position him accordingly, but you do want those auras benefiting as much as possible.

If you're unsure which 3rd upgrade to take, remember you don't have to take 3. Love Thy Master is good. Buzzards has some decent potential, Their Last Breath is super dependent on your crew. He operates relatively well with just Undertaker and Maniacal Laugh though so only take something you think you'll actually use. Necrotic King, you usually want it when you have lots of big damage tracks or important spells in the crew. Datsue Ba loves it. Archie? Meh. It tends to also be even more crew dependent than TLB.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Gonna be honest here, I have not read these 5 pages.

Is there some kind of consensus on a core crew and what minaitures are "must-have" and/or "really nice-to have"?

I have the following:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IjtbEh3YvTSC3eoscJAOMvBrQyiqs3gagOLG6j5iErM/edit?usp=sharing 

My goal is to learn 2-3 crews inside out (So a McM, Reva and Nicodem) and maybe eventually start going to tournaments.

Thanks in advance

If you're getting Seamus' Crew (rather then just Seamus) you can cover a lot of ground with Nico, 3 Belles, Madam Sybelle, and Izamu.  Throw in scheme runners to taste (canine remains will serve).

The list is built around the belle brigade Luring stuff across the field thanks to Nico's Necrotic King and Sybelle's Not Too Banged up, and then Sybelle and Izamu beat that stuff to death.  It's not as "engine heavy" as other Nicodem builds and works more on his fun support powers (giving out fast etc.)

Only downside to it is that it's not super mobile, and generally Nico's turns are both early and crazy boring.   He will pretty much always cast Undead Crowning, maybe summon 1 thing (punk zombie likely, but maybe not) and give stuff fast.  It *will* teach you the finer points of using Belle AP to drag your friendly models around though.

11 hours ago, MÃ¥rten said:

Gonna be honest here, I have not read these 5 pages.

Is there some kind of consensus on a core crew and what minaitures are "must-have" and/or "really nice-to have"?

I have the following:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IjtbEh3YvTSC3eoscJAOMvBrQyiqs3gagOLG6j5iErM/edit?usp=sharing 

My goal is to learn 2-3 crews inside out (So a McM, Reva and Nicodem) and maybe eventually start going to tournaments.

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure we ever reach a consensus. The only Must have model is probably Nicodem. (Although I'd accept a claim that Mindless zombies are very important). 

After that it depends on what you want to do. Corpse marker generation is a very common requirement, and there are 3 different ways at the moment that are common . Mortimer, Asura Roten and the Carrion emissary. You probably won't use all 3 in the same game. 

You will probably want to have access to several different summons, but the actual summons models you want is up to you. You probably want some form of beater, some form of schemer, and something thats trickier to put down. That may be Punk zombies, or Students of transmortis for the beater, you may pick cruligans or Necro punks for the schemer, and you may pick hanged or drowned for the "tanks". You you might come up with different options. 

Lots of people will build their crew as a support crew, and expect to summon in a large number of models to do the jobs needed. Now this approach is  little less universal with the new strategy "Ours" not counting summoned models but I would still expect some degree of summoning in models to do the job as you need it. 

I suggest getting his box, learning how to use it with what you already have, and then slowly buying models to sure up weaknesses you notice as you play. 

And I view tournaments as places where I get to play several games in a day, so don't feel you need to have mastered everything before you attend one. 

• Like 1

Apparently the new hotness is.

Nicodem, Maniacal Laugh, Undertaker, Necrotic King, 7 cache

Sebastian, Those Are Not Ours

Asura Rotten

Philip And The Nanny, Haunting Cries

Mortimer, Corpse Bloat, My Little Helper

Dead Doxy

Dead Doxy goes first, drops a scheme marker, uses her 0 to push Philip and moves her walk, drops another scheme marker

Philip activates, uses both scheme markers for card draw

Asura activates, turns her Quarantine marker into a Mindless Zombie

Sebastian activates, uses Destroy Evidence to sacrifice the Zombie and get one stone and one card, Nicodem draws a card from I Can Use That
Mortimer activates, uses My Little Helper, takes 6 damage and uses Found A Bone to generate three Corpse Markers

Nicodem activates, uses Muwahaha to turn the three Corpse Markers into Mindless Zombies, summons three times, each time, because he's sacrificing the Mindless Zombie, he draws another card from I Can Use That.

Now there are nine models on the board and (depending on if you activated Asura's Mindless Zombies before sacrificing it) up to 10 activations have taken place. There has been a net gain of +8 cards, and having seen another 2, and +1 Soul Stone. You may have burned some in summoning, but you're better off at this point than any other summoner.

Although Mortimer won't be ripping his spleen out after this, he can still Found A Bone, and his regeneration will heal him eventually. The Doxy/Philip card engine will keep working. You can either use Asura Rotten's Zombie for a summon, probably the better option, or pop it with Sebastian for a card (2 including Nicodem) and a stone depending on your needs.

By this point your models will be engaging the opponent's, and there's a pretty good chance there'll be a few corpse markers floating around anyway.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adran said:

I suggest getting his box, learning how to use it with what you already have, and then slowly buying models to sure up weaknesses you notice as you play. 

I'd second this.  Nico's base box is a hilarious blender of a thing where you'll basically use Mortimer and the vulture to push zombies into melee.  The three very murdery punk zombies will blender up anything that wanders into their clutches.  If/when one of them goes down, Nico will prop them back up with full health and send them right back into the fray.

Punk zombies get a bad wrap as hires because they're very slow.  Mortimer and the vulture can fix this with the Fresh Meat ability, just be really careful where you put the vulture.

• 1 month later...
On 07/02/2018 at 9:02 PM, Freman said:

Apparently the new hotness is.

Nicodem, Maniacal Laugh, Undertaker, Necrotic King, 7 cache

Sebastian, Those Are Not Ours

Asura Rotten

Philip And The Nanny, Haunting Cries

Dead Doxy

Between Asura and Kentauroi there seems to be so many possible engines for Nico now. This is fairly similar to something I've been thinking about, biggest difference is I have shadow embrace on Nico instead of Necrotic King. This let's you get poison heals on Mortimer and with Sebastian around Mortimer heals 3 damage a turn, so he's basically regrowing a spleen from poison every round (honestly if I had a poison spleen I'd rip it out too).

Nicodem, Maniacal Laugh, Undertaker, Shadow embrace, 7 cache

Sebastian, Those Are Not Ours, My Little Helper (can go on Asura instead)

Asura Rotten

Philip And The Nanny, Transfusion & Spirit Beacon

Guild Autopsy

The guild Autopsy gives something to transfuse poison from over to Mortimer. The extra poison heals he gets let's him use his spleen for corpses freeing up his extra actions to pull more corpses from bones, or spreading rot around to give others regen +2 if they're near nico & Sebastian. The Autopsy and either Sebastian or Asura will drop scheme markers for Philip.

Before transfusion the Autopsy can also try and leak its fluids all over one of Mortimer's many spleens to try to make it come to life. This gives you something else to kill for an extra card from Nico's Undertaker.

Spirit beacon is there so if the fluids work their magic and you then kill the animated spleen then you can discard one of the crappy cards in your hand for a seishin. That seishin gives an extra activation and potentially healing for that low card.

Finally something with the seishin that I think works but I'm not sure: Nicodem uses decay on a seishin and with an 8+ of tomes gets the empty vessel trigger from the shadow embrace upgrade, the attack will kill the seishin (unless you black jokes) which let's him take the reanimator action at +2 Ca. It's fairly situational but it might let some lower cards be used to get a higher summon out.

Having the Doxy seems like it might be useful to keep feeding Philip as well as moving him or others around. Clearly I think this means further testing is needed :)

This let's you get poison heals on Mortimer and with Sebastian around Mortimer heals 3 damage a turn

Remember you don't heal 3 just because you would taken 3 damage from poison. You heal 1 damage each time you would suffer (any amount) of damage from poison.

22 minutes ago, Erik1978 said:

Remember you don't heal 3 just because you would taken 3 damage from poison. You heal 1 damage each time you would suffer (any amount) of damage from poison.

Sorry I should've been cleaner, what I meant by the 3 heal was = 1 from his innate regeneration + 1 from poison healing at the end of the turn if he's in Nico's 'welcoming pain' aura and + 1 from poison healing during his activation from Sebastian's 'catalyst'  aura combined with Nico's aura.

So it is at best 3, if you're outside of Nico's aura I guess it gets a bit risky.

While we're on it I should also add that it'll also only be limited to whatever poison stack size is transfused across, and Mortimer might need a top up.

Should I feel bad that the person I wish Mortimer would fling rot on the most is himself? I mean I think his current employment arrangements already aren't the best considering how many spleens he seems to have to hand over.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Forgive my Nico naivety, I have a couple of questions.

Reading here it seems there is many builds, the premise is that Nico is a card/poison-manipulator/summoner engine.

1. If you feared an alpha strike to take out a key model to any of the 'engines', which model would that be?

2. Linked to above, how many activation's (Nico) do you think is needed to give any of the Nico engines enough space that the opponent is now in serious trouble/Nico is up and running.

Ta

The key model is Nico. You can lose pretty much any other model and still make it work. Even if he can't mass summon he can still revive dead models and boost them with his auras. Fortunately he's not easy to kill, but he isn't invulnerable either.

• 2 months later...
  • mattc unpinned this topic