May 11th - Komainu

Lucidicide

As a Yan Lo I'm really wanting some Komainu for Toshiro's upgrade and to run in some crews from the start and as there kind of themed for his crew they just don't look right for me I think they look cool as models but I'm a bit disappointed maybe with a rusted look I can get a match for my crew as I've got a very rusted dark dull dirty paint scheme

• Like 1

Meh. Been really waiting for these and the concept art looked cool but these I don't like at all. They have the proportions of pugs or bulldogs and they don't look very aggressive at all. The one that's jumping up looks like my dog greeting me when I come home from work.

• Like 1

I think the limbs look a bit stumpy. I was hoping for a more aggressive feel to them.

Also, the head doesn't look like it can move, both have it at the same angle to the body, it makes them look unwieldy and kind of clumsy. The bottom one looks much better if you cover the top one IMO. 

I'm actually a huge fan of these - I think they'll make good thematic additions to my Mei Feng construct crew. To be honest, actual Komainu guardian statues are pretty static, and I think these sculpts push movement to the limit while still making them representative of their historical inspirations. Cool stuff.

• Like 1

Regarding them looking too mechanical, one's argument could be "How is an undead (not very smart looking) Daimyo supposed to build one of these from Scrap?". Then, an average Arcanist should summon mech-Leviathans...

IMO, Jorogumo is much more D&D than it should, and Komainu not enough. They're both awesome characters, but they don't fit in their Ten Thunders niche as perfectly as they could