Most of what I hear or read on the Brewmaster covers him as a gremlin master or very heavily working with his gremlin models. I wanted to know if there is a way to have him work in a ten thunder army and run him gremlin light? What 1 or 2 models from the gremlins are worth looking at? Is effective with no gremlins at all?

Some non-Bata models that can deal with poison are:

Fermented River Monks

Dawn Serpent

Torakage

Yin

Sensai Yu

Have anyone played the Brewmaster with those models?

Ran Brewmaster for the first time the other day, he's way more flexible and fun than I had realised.

I ran;

Brewy - Binge, Hold their hair back

Yin

Femented monk

2 x Performer

2 x Brother

Dawn Serpent

It was Interferrence vs Dreamer so it was less about his healing bubble than general debuffing.

Yin was brilliant, I'd like to run Yin, Brewy and Ama No Zako next for a holding, obey, paralyse, devour pit just out of curiousity. I'm also keen to use You're drunnk go Home in conjunction with obey on some unsuspecting big model.

Serpent got locked up by Teddy so didn't get a full impression of how he might perform, but handing out poison +2 plus his healing made him solid. The Performer was the perfect candidate for Vendetta.

Fermented Monk I'm still on the fence about. To make them really effective you have to load them up with poison from Brewy, running 2 might be a stretch. I did feel from playing Brewy that poison is only one piece of the puzzle, at least for my play style. Hangover and Pick Your Poison are both great debuffing tools to soften up key foes. Unless I was to take Moon Shinobi as well I don't know I'd focus completely on poison.

The 2 SS tax for taking Tri-Chi feels a little steep if I'm just taking one or two Gremlins, but i'm looking forward to including Fingers in a list.

Look forward to hearing your experiences. Also interested in how others with more Brewy play time feel about him.

• Like 1

As Fever's opponent in the above game, I can confirm that TT-Brewie can be solid. Yin and the Performers were especially troublesome, and the Brothers were their usual solid selves. I'm shuddering at the idea of Ama in the mix.

I would add that it seemed like Brewmaster is quite a card-hog, so it might be helpful to think of ways to mitigate that with the rest of the crew: card-replacing, or models with built in plus-flips, or models who don't need cards to do their thing, etc.

Interesting that you felt brewy was a card hog, not sure i felt there was a massive difference from my usual masters. Thunders like card discard in general and don't have a whole lot of card replacement, especially compared to neverborn. The primary hand management factor in that game came from the ridiculous amount of terror and wp duels from your crew.

Keeping on topic, i feel a derail rant about card management coming on, the fermented monks competing for card discard might be another factor against them. I think brewy likes a couple of high cards like many masters but his debuffs really help him and his crew mitigate this, as long as you concentrate on one enemy at a time. I'd say primarily he's a ss hog, more so than anyone else i run, though McCabe can come close.

• Like 1

Has anyone thought about pairing Brewmaster up with a Samurai? With Favor of Earth and Brewmaster's healing ability, he makes a pretty good discount tank, and Obey makes that Shoulder Gattling a pretty cool ranged attack.

Between the Fermented River Monks and the Moon Shinobi, I think that the Shinobi are the pretty clear winners for "poison-using minions" role. Drunken Gremlin Kung Fu is just too good in too many ways, and they can really get into some positions that annoy the enemy with their push shenanigans. If you are planning on taking the Kegger upgrade, there's not a lot of reason to not swap your monks for ninjas.

Can Sensei Yu use Disciple to copy Drinking contest? Because with Stumble, that is pretty freaking gross... plus he gets access to drunken kung fu, a way to dump poison off himself, and a big toolbox of other stuff.

Can Sensei Yu use Disciple to copy Drinking contest? Because with Stumble, that is pretty freaking gross... plus he gets access to drunken kung fu, a way to dump poison off himself, and a big toolbox of other stuff.

It has been talked about a lot but wasn't in the previous FAQ, unfortunately

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/106491-brew-and-yu/

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the mini-necro here, but i was about to post all this in a new thread, and saw that you pretty much set it up for me, so i figured I'd just drop in here. :P

I ran 10T Brewmaster twice this past weekend to some good effect, i think.

I'll agree with the SS hog mention. I used it a lot trying to send stuff back to the deployment zone. he doesn't need a lot of suits, which was nice to see on a master, so i didn't use them a whole lot there though.

Fingers and Wesley feel almost like auto includes for me. Fingers ability to prevent interacts totally shut down my opponent's deliver message in one game, and I got some mileage out of "i saws it first!" in the second game with what i think was going to be spring the trap (maybe breakthrough)

Wesley seems to be a bit of a set of training wheels for me. he hasn't done a whole lot yet, but the looming threat of him becoming the next brewmaster has kept the enemy at bay, while letting me experiment with all Brewie's healing shenanigans. I would consider another totem maybe... but for now, Wesley all the way.

Moon Shinobi are good. i love the drunken kung fu style, but for my SS fermented river monks got more done, had more fun, and were 1ss cheaper each. Moon Shinobi might be a hard sell for me. We'll see.

Samurai has impressed me so far in all my games with him since the new upgrades came out. I took him this time as a mini fuhatzu with the damage negating upgrade, but i was thinking of a friendly Obey Target with either of the other two upgrades to do schemes, or be a tank.

Yin was great. so great. her WP bubble, her paralyze, her poison. She was more than worth her 9ss. (took the 10T archer upgrade on her)

10T archer, i just love these guys. i try to work one in each game i run. Took the turrent samurai in the second game instead though. but he was great in the first game.

Dawn Serpent is awesome, i love him anyway, but with a lot of brewie's crew having Ca actions, Dawn Serpent became a pretty decent tank in my second game in place of Yin. he can dish out the poison when he wants to, and that heal... oh that heal. :P

Tengu with Brewmaster did what you'd probably expect them to. i like them, but they didn't do anything extra with him. but hey, for 4ss, i am not complaining!

i still haven't run the whiskey golem. I'm already finding myself choosing between Dawn Serpent and Yin, adding another 10ss model in the mix just doesn't seem like a good idea.

I've only used Sensei Yu once when i played a game with Shenlong and i was extremely underwhelmed. I know i should keep at it because he is quite popular, but... meh... i like fingers for my henchman and i don't mind using the gremlin upgrade. I'll try it one day, I'm sure, but for now, my money is on Fingers every time. lol

• Like 2

Rgarbonzo, I think Yan Lo's box is a waist because the only thing buy able is Chiaki for other 10 Thunder Masters. As for Izamu or Tannen, other then them being good solid models for what they do not either particularly synergies with the Brewmaster or his love of poison.

Also depending on what you want form them Fingers and Tannen are sort of interchangeable as aura control models. Tannen is a little better with people who want to mess with cheating.

I LOVE ARCHERS!! Not randomizing in to engagements is so nice.

Toshiro
Sidir
Kamaitatchi
Monks of all the rivers (Low, High, Fermented)
Komainu
Kantanaka Snipers
Oiran
Kang
Ototo
Illuminated

If you are only focusing on Poison I think you are missing out on a lot of fun combos in TT

Misdirection upgrade takes the place of Kegger as he really doesn't need that upgrade to play as TT since you can get (essesntially) the same use out of Servant of 5 Dragons

Broken Promises also adds :-fate modifiers 

Most of those models are good with or with out the Brewmaster and are only helped by obey. If I am missing something with your list please enlighten me. Does one of them have some WP resist action I am not aware of? How many poison givers do you run with the Brewmaster other than him? I am thinking I would want at least 2

Fermented monks have actually being covered in the thread.

The Brewmaster is good when models have poison on them, his own and his enemies.

Just throwing up all the good or useful models in a faction with out a reasoning why he makes them better is not a help but rather a muddying of the purpose of discussing tactics or models.

Example, a Samurai with favor that increases his speed is great for Obey because when he shoots his gun outside of his activation he does not suffer damage so he can be a more model during his turn and shoot by the Brewmasters command.

So i got 2 more games in with brewy, which makes 3 games total.

Fielded him twice in a tournament.

Very little wisdom to bestow except he dies easily to neverborn!

First game he was killed turn one by dreamer fielding teddy, red joker. Second game he died turn two to lilith.

Lessons learned, take misdirection and/or Wesley next time.

His crew did okay without him though all things considered.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: I have played BM since Beta, I may not be the be all end all of knowledge but I think I have a good handle on what he can and cannot do.

Many in the forums are hung up on Brewmaster and Poison. While it is fun to do and play with it is not necessary to use Brewmaster effectively.  What does Brewmaster do that other masters in the 10T don't do? He can Swill targets to put them on :-fate flips, at a 12" range, with no randomization. He can also put out a fair amount of Poison himself. If you are using BM as an Obey bot, then you are seriously lacking his own potential since his Obey needs a suit. This isn't including his Binge upgrade (which I consider an auto-include). 

Tannen - No cheat aura as well as Leave it to Luck synergizes nicely with Brewmaster

Toshiro - Allows the use of Punk Zombies in a TT/BM led crew. Can be useful for surprising your opponent, can also summon

Sidir - By Your Side and Promises can make an upgrade heavy crew even more dangerous
Kamaitachi - Totem takes the place of Wesley since Wesley isn't available without the Running Tab upgrade
Monks - Low River for condition removal, High River for damage, Fermented for more Poison synergy if you feel you must have it

Komainu - Basically the AShigaru of TT, when used in conjunction with Toshiro can also be summoned
Kantanaka Snipers - Great model in it's own right, becomes downright scary when you can target a model that is on a :-fate for all flips

Oiran - Up Wp on the crew, needs a suit for Lure but can bring people close to BM

Kang - Resser fighter, most Ressers have low Wp making them a perfect target for Swill
Ototo/Izamu - Another model that can become scary when coupled with BM debuffs on a target
Illuminated - These guys are tanks and work well for scheme runners
Sensei Yu with Promising Disciple and Fermented River style also give you a way to buff him while debuffing your opponent.

• Like 1

Rgarbonzo, it might be me but I do not see other than saying "hay these are good models" any real insight to your post. It is like saying Marcus should take a Gunsmith, why because Gunsmiths are awesome. Which Gunsmiths are AWESOME as they have a great set of triggers and a way to add a suit to all there attack duals, but they do not particularly help or are helped by being in a Marcus crew, unless a bird pecks them. So where you are putting up good models that everyone know are good, you are not actually informing of why they are better with the Brewmaster than not.

I am not saying to use him as an Obey Bot but I used an example where a non poison giving model or a model that does not benefit from poison actually gained something from being in a Brewmaster crew directly.

In the case of Tannen I do not see where Leave it to Luck or the discard before you cheat aura synergizes any better with the Brewmaster than anyone else.

I haven't played brewmaster yet, as I'm waiting for my order with him to come in, but I was curious if anyone had tried Ama No Zaka with brewie? They decreased will power + terrifying and obey seems like it could be a good trick, and brewmasters discard tricks combined with ama's abitily to eat models also seems good.

Are moon shinobi actually worth fielding in 10T? I feel like brothers or torakage would be more useful in the crew.

In the case of Tannen I do not see where Leave it to Luck or the discard before you cheat aura synergizes any better with the Brewmaster than anyone else.

Tannen standing next to Brewmaster can be a huge pain when BM has Drinking Contest up. Not only will a model potentially have lowered Wp from Poison but also it would have to pass the TN 12 Wp Duel or heal and gain more Poison, adding Tannen makes it even more frustrating since you have to discard a card to even cheat the Wp duel.  If the model passes it would still have to discard to cheat any attack flip made against any model in the party-ball. As far as Leave it to Luck, you don't understand how giving a model +2 when it flips or plays a :mask? If only Brewmaster had a trigger on a :mask oh wait he does, on Binge it allows a (1) AP Action to be taken controlled by Brewmaster, and there is no "only one attack" clause tied to it as well. I think that could be handy. You are thinking of Brewmaster in a straight Poison list, but Brewmaster is so much more, he is a great debuffer that can really make those models that are already dangerous, even more so since it will take AP to counter the Swill condition. I've put Masters on trip negs, pretty handy when facing someone like Leveticus who can get positives easily. Playing BM more like a support ranged debuffer you can almost guarantee a model to point and click to be deleted per turn. Not many models (masters included) can survive trip negs on ALL FLIPS.

As far as Leave it to Luck, you don't understand how giving a model +2 when it flips or plays a :mask? If only Brewmaster had a trigger on a :mask oh wait he does, on Binge it allows a (1) AP Action to be taken controlled by Brewmaster, and there is no "only one attack" clause tied to it as well.

I can totally see how Tannen could be good with Brewmaster, including Leave it to Luck, which I wouldn't normally use, with Brewmaster's Obey and You're Drunk go Home.

But I don't think I understand what you're saying here. When you use Pick Your Poison (the action you're refering to on the Binge upgrade), it's the suit of the card the target model discards that determines the Condition gained. It makes no difference the suit of the card Brewmaster flips for the duel. Even when your own model discards it won't matter the value on the card, just suit. Unless there's something I've totally missed. Cognitive Dissonace :)

• Like 1

Binge has no triggers, beside if it worked the way Rgarbonzo thinks it does I would do the tome or crow all day long but it does not. You opponent must discard a card and then an effect happens based on what they discard.

As for Tannan messing with cheating, I think that is gilding the lily. In a recent game that I played vs a Brewmaster, my Nakima is wp 7 -3 from poison with in the Brewmaster aura making her a 4, so every time I wanted her to act I had to decide if I wanted to cheat with a 8+ and this is a model with great wp or activate her before the aura goes up. I would rather have my opponent spend a card and have Tannan elsewhere, especially if the Brewmaster had his assistant with him or misdirect or both which makes him very survivable. This increases if you can Swill your enemy because unlike Tannen negative flips normally allow no cheating.

I see the Brewmaster as a debuff and condition master, this is especial true with swill condition, binge and hold their hair back. If my enemy had hold their hair back he could have paralyzed Nakima after she killed the whiskey golem when she was at poison 4.

• Like 1

I think Yin, Tannan, and fingers make for a dangerous bubble around Brewmaster. I mean, you'd have to watch out for the hoff bubble effect here, of course. and this could be a waste with things like Reconnoiter or outflank, but if you had something like protect terriftory and you knew something like distract or assassinate were in the pool, you could double down, hold your ground and laugh as your opponent was pretty much shut down. It's a pricey bubble, so it wouldn't be ideal often. but I think I would have nightmares about facing this.

Anyway, I don't think it's a problem that folks are focusing on poison with Brewmaster. Look at his abilities, he likes things to be poisoned. So why not keep an eye on models that do something well, but also bring the poison? 10T have lots of things that do this as a side effect. Torkage, Fermented River monks, Dawn Serpent, Yin and more. all of these models are strong in a list that doesn't use poison at all, so why say we're getting caught up in poison now?

• Like 1

Ran Brewmaster again this weekend against outcast Misaki with Headhunter as our strat and learned a few things.

- A samurai chasing Hans around a building makes for a hilarious waste of 4 turns. and I loved every second of it.

- any time I had extra ap to waste (which happens a lot in games where the opponent is burying his models a lot, I would drop scheme markers around brewmaster for this heal that comes with the upgrade for hiring tri chi. turns out, you can make a pretty convincing case to make your opponent think you took LitS, then surprise him with Vendetta. :P

- fingers is like a wrench in the other crew's well oiled machine. I love him so much. he is worth the 12 ss you need to spend just for him. (10ss for him, 2 for the upgrade) I do with he were dual faction like most of the other henchman, but it's okay. at one point, Ama No Zaku killed off a monk and dropped his head, then fingers came hauling ass from 12 inches away with wreckless and picked it up! it was amazing and my opponent did not see that coming at all. I did lose fingers shortly after, but he practically won the game for me.

- headhunter is not an auto lose if you don't take a very kill-oriented crew. I managed almost all my headhunter points by picking up my own model's heads while they finished off my distract and vendetta points.

- a few weaknesses with brewmaster are starting to show. In this game, my opponent kept his entire crew 12 inches away from brewmaster. I couldn't do anything really. they all used smoke & shadows and stayed buried or on the fringes of the table. When he is all by himself, he is pretty useless. I spent most of the game obeying my samurai to speed him up a little bit. I did get a couple rounds of pick your poison on hans and ama both. that was cool. but if your opponent has tomes it's kind of a wash.

- moon shinobi still aren't performing as well as fermented river monks for me. not sure why, but I took both in this game and was much happier with the monk again. I have yet to have a moon shinobi land an attack. all three people I've played them against cheat high to avoid the attack. they should rename the attack to "tiny green fists of terrifying so cheat high and avoid it!" :P

- Yin is hard to say 'no' to. I love having her around. she is the ultimate tar pit. and she is amazingly tank-y for a pile of entrails. She may not be an auto include, but between her, fingers, the dawn serpent, and the lone swordsman, I'm thinking I may never see the whiskey golem on the table. he's going to have to out do all those other expensive models and I don't see it happening.

it was a close game, I believe I came out ahead 8 to 5, but that was in the last turn when I scored Vendetta and managed to obey brewmaster with westley (on probably the luckiest flip I have ever had) to pick up Hans' head.

I'm really loving Brewmaster though. He has worked his way up to probably my favorite master from 10T.

• Like 2

Just tried brewmaster out for the first time today, and my first thought was how card intensive his crew was. Most of the models need specific suits to work well, and I found obey to almost feel like a trap in most situations. I did not use the whiskey golem though, and I think he might be a good less card intensive model to use with smoke bombs, then keep brewmaster and fingers behind him for the first 1-2 turns. Also I am finding it difficult to see when I would ever take moon shinobi over performers given they are the same cost.

Highlight of the game was taking Ryle from full health to poison 9 during a single activation, followed by Ryle's activation.

not sure I see the card intensive bit to be honest. even running two of the fermented river monks (and wanting to dump one card each per turn) I didn't have too many issues. Obey is a trap and I only used it on my own stuff when I had the card I needed so I could have the target relent and not have to burn an important card.

I have used his Pick your poison upgrade and managed a couple of obeys from that however.

• Like 2

Played TT Brewmaster for the second time in two weeks (won this time around, 8-7 versus Rezzer McMourning - and yes, it was a silly, silly game), and here are my thoughts on the crew in general.

Brewmaster: Really, really wants you to max out his Soulstone pool. You want to be able to go first most of the time, so soulstoning for initiative reflips is a thing. Very card intensive as others have mentioned, so cycling cards is good. Damage reduction is needed quite a lot of the time to salve what does get though, so you have breathing room until you can heal up.  So far I've only taken Binge and Running Tab, and while I haven't gotten to use Pick Yer Poison too often, it seems ok. Haven't felt like Hold Their Hair Back or The Good Stuff are worth taking in a TT crew. He's not really inclined to attack, and I feel like Paralyzing is entirely situational when his aura will prevent people from doing anything substantial most of the time.

Fingers: A goddamn champion of scheme running. I just want to buy Zoraida so I have another master to run him and the Whiskey Golem with. Also values having a large SS pool so he can get the trigger on his attack with greater consistency.

Wesley: Great, great, great. Good for Magical Extension Obey or Pick Yer Poison (targeting friendly, discarding for a (1) action). Out of activation attacks from my Monk cleared debuffs off my crew with the quickness.

Whiskey Golem: Great tank. Ties stuff up and poisons the heck out of them. Great carrier for Drinking Problem, as he's fairly sturdy by himself, and it lets Fingers double his self-healing.

Moon Shinobi: Eh? Played only my first game with just the one. Not sure it's a worthy take in TT Brewmaster. I didn't feel like killing stuff is a high priority in the games you want to take Brewmaster.

This was my crew in the McMourning game. Strategy was Stake a Claim, my schemes were revealed Line In The Sane and Breakthrough (full points on Stake a Claim and Breakthrough with Fingers doing an end run for Breakthrough on turn 5, McMourning prevented me from getting full Line In The Sand with his Evidence Tampering).

Ten Thunders Crew - 50 - Scrap

The Brewmaster -- 7 Pool
+Binge [1]
+Running Tab [2]

• Apprentice Wesley [3]
  • Fingers [10]
  • Guild Pathfinder [6]
  • Monk of the Low River [4]
  • Samurai [8]
  • Whiskey Golem [10]
    +Drinking 'Problem' [2]

Samurai was carrying the Earth upgrade (+3 wounds).

Samurai is decent with Brewmaster, the out of activation Gatling is nice. He got splattered t2 by McMourning, but managed to put damage on dogs and kill one of them. Monk of Low River is pretty awesome, I think he shone in this game because of the poison and Guild Lawyer debuffs flying around, but being able to keep the Brewmaster healthy and free of bad debuffs is great for only 4SS in general. Plus, with Brewmaster and Wesley giving him out-of-activation actions, he can clear stuff with the quickness.