Of Swampfiends and Men

Phinn

Chapter 6 - "Burn them. BURN THEM ALL!"

DcMSeo1.jpg

vc6S1IV.jpg

I probably spent more time doing research than painting the miniature. I had to learn how to paint a face and actually a human skin as such as well (which is a reason why I painted Iggy before Zoraida), how to paint flames and how OSL is done.
For a very long time I also wasn't sure what colours I want to use, becuase I wanted him to look like a poor boy from an orphanage he is, but was affraid that he would end up looking boring. That's why I decided to add something extra - magma hands :)
I also tried to paint his eyes as if they were scorching - that is why they are orange and why the skin is brighter towards them.

I learnt a lot by painting Iggy. The most valuable lesson of them all... Do not be so reckless with varnish :( Well, live and learn :)

• Like 8

That's one of the best Iggy I've ever seen)) Great job, the magma hands is stunning!
But actually I don't see OSL - it's not important while the mini looks great, but since you wanted to try OSL I can give you some advice, if you want to c:

P.S. I'm very like your smooth stile! :+fate

• Like 1

Thank you, @Stark, I very much appreciate your kind words :) And yes, I would definitely welcome an advice on OSL.

I tried to paint his cloths lighter towards the flames, make sharper shadows and tint the parts that are close to the flames yellow - shoulders, sleeves, the flailing part of the shirt on his right side...
The thing is that I was scared that I would overdo the effect. I have seen a lot of miniatures ruined by too much blood effects for example and I kept that in mind. Also I think that it would be much more visible and more simple to do if only one of his hands was ablaze or I used differently coloured flames. Originaly I wanted to do one of the flames as a normal one and the second one blue or green but in the end I felt like that normal flames and magma hands that are getting cooler towards the burnt sleeves make the most sense.

@Phinn 
You doing well, but you have the same fear which I have, when in first time tried OSL on death marshals) I was looking trough a lot of works with OSL before starting. The most difficult thing is to understand where is light on the model and take it into account when painting mini as usual. After that you'll take the mid-color of your future source of light and cover with translucent layers illuminated parts. The farther away from the light source - the more translucent, and vice versa, the closer to the light source - the more solid color. And on the closest spots you can use the bright color. It's depends on how bright the light source you want) For example, in my death marshals flames I used light blue, blue-green and white colors, so the mid-color I used for reflects is blue-green and light blue for the highlights.

Here's I quickly marked OSL on your model, as it can be approximately.) It's far from perfect, but I ho[e it'll helpful) And sorry for my english, I hope I was able to explain the main idea))

31342_original.jpg 31704_original.jpg

• Like 3

Looking at the photo you altered I really should have been more bold with the OSL. Thank you, @Stark, for taking your time to explain and show me as well how to improve :) Very useful.

If I were to paint him now I would change one more thing - the flames. I would use less yellow and more orange. And, as I said before, would definitely use less varnish.

• Like 1

Originally the center of the flame was indeed white (with a little bit of yellow, that is) but I couldn't shake the feeling that it looks unfinished. I think that this is because I use white primer. For this reason I never use an actual white paint but Citadel Screaming Skull instead.

I am currently painting a Waldgeist and would like to utilize what you said about OSL and paint its eyes glowing. Not sure about it though yet. We will see.

Once again, thank you for your advice, @Stark :)

• Like 1

Thank you, @Viruk :)

These days I allways try to add some personal touch to the miniautre I am painting. Be it Iggy's magmatic hands or Bad Juju's base or his Soulstones which I completely forgot to mention when I posted his photos.

There are ten Soulstones painted on his miniature - 8 for Bad Juju himself and 2 for Eternal Fiend Upgrade, without which he never leaves home.
Four of those can be seen on the following photo.
oaWFs6h.jpg

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

Here is the photo of how I took the pictures above :D

Hahs6R9.jpg
#poor-man's-lightbox #gheto-setup

I want to learn how to do infinite black background and how to adjust colours, but for now I settled just with resizing the photos in MS Paint :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...