Yan Lo Needs More Ancestors

E.T.A. Hoffman

That took much longer to be asked than I thought it would  ;)

On the open beta/general feedback thing, I think people are always going to throw ideas for upgrades and changes out. Maybe the open beta process causes people to think about that type of thing a bit more than they would otherwise, but it still happens all the time in games with no open testing. If you limit it to a couple weeks with a "These models are done unless you prove to me something is broken, so go break things" directive, it may help the.. not entitlement, but that feeling given off when models like Yan get picked over.

And I can feel the grass roots groundswell Yan Lo movement taking off. He's like the anti-Levi right now, instead of "Everyone's taking him because he's easy mode so we better figure out how to beat him", it's "he's a challenge? Oh, I'm up for a challenge, I better figure out how to win with him". Yan Blow no more! Will have to change my name yet again. 

Math: lol, no comment.

Yeah, I think that has a place as well. Some players prefer the underdog.

• Like 1

If what you meant was that it should let the respective Masters hire any model in the game, then that would open up so many potential combos that Justin would be crying under his desk.

Ah, no.  I just meant to allow a little more variety in which Ten Thunders Henchmen got to carry themed upgrades, and have a few other tricks.  A small change, not a totally absurd one.

I just want to make a point of saying simply winning with Yan isn't what makes him pass/fail as a master. I've won comfortably more than I've lost with his crew, but other than 2-3 games could I have said that my other masters wouldn't have done better. :)

How can you do better than winning?

• 1 month later...

Being an avid TT fan, I thought I'd weigh in with my thoughts on Yan Lo...

I've only played him once, and I've never faced him before, so my experience with him is limited, but from what I've seen and understand (based solely on what I've read), he is the type of Master that does need moderate advanced planning. I don't think the problem (assuming there is one to begin with) is adding more Ancestors though.

To my best recollection, this was the list I used for my 1 50ss game.

Yan Lo

-Wings of Wind

Soul Porter

Toshiro

Izamu

Yin, the Penangalan

Onryo

Onryo

Punk Zombie

In hindsight, Wings of Wind was probably a bad choice. Granted it did help me get Izamu halfway up the board on Turn 1 and into melee, but Yan has a lot of "0 Actions" he already relies on, and adding more 0 actions just becomes counter productive at that point. Also, I probably could've done without the Punk Zombie. A Monk of Low River would've probably been good, since I had no defenses against Poison or Burning conditions, but otherwise the list was substantial.

I didn't use Chiaki, despite also being an Ancestor, mostly because I wasn't sure how her abilities would work. Maybe instead of the Monk, next time I'll substitute the Punk Zombie for her.

In any case, my general strategy started off with board manipulation and responding to my opponent's movement. Fortunately, I had second initiative on Turn 1, and I believe we were equal on activations, so responding wasn't too difficult (He was playing Kaeris). By the end of Turn 1, Yan's Chi was at +2, thanks to Izamu killing someone within range.

My memory of the rest of the game is hazy, but I remember utilizing "Fury of Yomi" at least twice, making Toshiro a Spirit for at least 1 turn, and making a lot of use with his ability to move just about anywhere. It was at this point I realize his strength is in making his crew stronger and better.

My biggest mistake was misusing Yin. Instead of bringing her towards the middle of the board and engaging my oppositions stronger models, I had her going off to take out his minions. I believe the game ended in a draw, so all in all, it wasn't a bad experience.

Now as far as how Yan Lo can be improved... I don't know if he needs improvement, honestly. Having more options for Ascendent upgrades would be nice, but what else can you give him?

Commenting on his summoning abilities, I think they work well for his fluff. They make him unique in his own way, which TO ME, is the draw for playing him. He's not like the summoners from the Resurrectionists, and he doesn't have to be.

The Conflux for Yan Lo's emissary upgrade got rewritten apparently. Justin spoke about it on the most recent fools daily. Seems to now give the ancestor trait to the emissary he takes it on, and give Yan Lo +1 attack stat to one of his attacks, I forget which. Don't know what peoples opinions are on that. Personally I feel it's a bit much on a model that gets a free 2 focus at the beginning of its turn and has mid range ca attack with severe 6. Time will tell though.

The Conflux for Yan Lo's emissary upgrade got rewritten apparently. Justin spoke about it on the most recent fools daily. Seems to now give the ancestor trait to the emissary he takes it on, and give Yan Lo +1 attack stat to one of his attacks, I forget which. Don't know what peoples opinions are on that. Personally I feel it's a bit much on a model that gets a free 2 focus at the beginning of its turn and has mid range ca attack with severe 6. Time will tell though.

I'm sorry, but you lost me at "emissary upgrade". Where is this?

I think what would be more helpful is if a few more of the Resurrectionist  "eastern spirits" were also flagged retainer so Lo Pan, er Yan Lo had a few more 'horror' type options when playing at 10T.

I've always wished that Datsue Ba could be a Retainer. Plus, doesn't she have an old man who helps her flay and judge in some tales?

Usually I play Yan Lo as TT (actually, I have a hard time not pulling him out for almost everything), but I've been playing him a lot as a Ressurectionist lately.

It usually looks like:

Resurrectionists Crew - 50 - Scrap

Yan Lo -- 7 Pool
 +Brutal Khakkhara [1]
 +Reliquary [1]
 +Spare Parts [2]

Soul Porter [3]
Canine Remains [4]
Chiaki the Niece [6]
 +Pull of the Grave [1]
Crooligan [4]
Datsue Ba [8]
 +Spirit Whispers [1]
Izamu the Armor [10]
 +Unnerving Aura [1]
Nurse [5]

Though I've had lots of good fortune with Unnerving Aura instead of Spare Parts or the Brutal Khakkhara. The best experience I've had was both Viks, 2 Ronin, the Student, and Taelor (who had falsely been made a sister...) jump on Yan Lo at once. Incorporeal saved him, so he responded by shifting slightly to the right with a Hunpo Assault. The ones that survived that (about half) got knoced off by Unnerving Aura next turn.

Wave 3 Models. They were all publicly beta tested, so if you participated, you'd know what I mean. But the fact you don't I assume you are a newer player, or for various reasons didn't participate.

In light of that, here's what I meant. Essentially all the Factions in the game get a new 10 SS model called an Emissary of Fate. All Masters in the game get a new upgrade that can only be taken on an Emissary of Fate when they lead a crew, and these upgrades are called Confluxes. These Confluxes, in theory, give small thematic benefits in line with the master's theme to the Emissary. For example Seamus' gives the emissary a 4" Aura where enemies that fail a WP duel cause the Emissary to heal 1 wound, and a 0 action attack which repositions enemy models and can cause some amount of dmg.

So Yan Lo's conflux can be taken on either the Carrion Emissary or the Shadow Emissary, dependent on which faction he declares as.

It's not taken by the leader, it's taken by the Emissary, they are Enforcers. However each Conflux can only be taken if a specific Master is leader of a crew. For Example, again, Seamus' is the Conflux of Infamy. It is a 0 Cost upgrade that can only be taken if Seamus is the Leader and requires the model it attaches onto to have the Emissary of Fate characteristic. As only the Emissaries have that characteristic, they are the only ones that it can be attached to.

This means, for example, that dual faction masters have the ability to put their themed conflux on two different emissaries, depending on which emissary is available to their declared faction.