April 20th - Shikome

Lucidicide

Heh, the folded wings Shikome has a Princess Leia braid.

I thought that on the old artwork the reason for nipple guard was aesthetic because the Shikome also had an elaborate outlandisly mythological hairdo and those seemed like some sort of weird jewlery. The new concept takes after the old one, but they have a more traditional Japanese hairdo and those guards look like they only serve the purpose of coverage which doesn't make a lot of sense aesthetically. Logically any clothes or armor would hamper their flying ability... so I guess nipple guards??

These look really nice. Not a fan of flying bases, though, so even if the pose is very nice, I would've preferred if it didn't need a flying base. Rather would've had a treestump or something that acted as support. Also not a huge fan of the pasties - a bandage bra would've been better I think. But I wish to stress that I really do like these and will probably get them once they are released.

I'm a fan. IIRC Shikome aren't exactly harpies, but rather more analogous to Sirens. Hence the more sensual nature of the models. I think those models capture the speed and aggression that would typify the unit.

Without going into the European vs. American standards on nudity, violence, what-have-you (I'm a European living in the US, I get the arguments of both sides), I feel that Valhallan hit the nail on the head. This model is a compromise by Wyrd. It's as close to what I'm sure they want it to be while still being able to be sold in stores here in the United States.

And lets be real - whatever our thoughts on the way our respective societies view violence/nudity/whatever, we all know that if we play Kirai and/or Ressers, we're gonna buy the heck out of these models. Because they're awesome.

• Like 3

Why pasties? 

I don't think it has to do with stupidity regarding Americans tolerating nightmare children, reanimated stitched together corpses, zombie drug pushing nurses, demons and the like but losing their minds over a nipple, even if it belongs to Janet Jackson.

I think Seamus is just expanding his stable. He has zombie hookers, why not add in flying strippers too?

Although the strippers would get better tips if they lost the stupid pasties.....

I guess I should have looked closer. I just thought they had disproportionately large areola (pancake nipples for short)

Hmm. Now I need to get someone to make a diorama with a gremlin modded in a chef hat throwing pancakes at them.

Full disclosure, I'm on prescription narcotics and have been awake for 22.5 hours.

• Like 2

We are seriously still on the moral and ethical implications of nipple armor?

Awesome sculpts look awesome.

I'm more puzzled that the breasts needed hats, but what appears to be pubic hair is fine :D

I'd be sculpting ragged shreds of clothing onto them and redoing the hair to be more messy I think, for that 'feral killer that used to be a presentable lady' look without strange modesty stuff.

They're a massive improvement over the old chicken though, no doubt!

• Like 2

I really don't believe it is whining - I think asking the question - "Why do Shikome have pasties?" is a legitimate question given the overall content of this game - this game is a mature game anyway you look at it. I think the real question is "How can you legitimize the need for boob-sensoring in a culture that loves sex and violence?" - its like some kind of half-hearted misplaced attempt at appeasing the more sensitive (closed)minded people of society. There is no reason why it can't be that the box art is sensored but the model does actually have nipples. In a game with a hooker per faction if you're offended by boobs you need to re-evaluate your ethics. Regardless, any attempt made to sensor it will be met head on by every attempt (through conversions and proxies!) to re-filthify it, by my own hand - and probably to a greater degree, if possible! The miniature wargaming community needs more boobs!

My major concern would be with an eventual overall sensoring of this game... where, overtime, the story and characters become more and more sensored. I like Malifaux specifically because its a mature game - hopefully sensored boobs

isn't the first step in a "softer" direction.

However, it doesn't matter anyway because, like Victoria said, I will just be adding the nipples myself and the boob plates dont seem to stick out too much so it will be an easy fix. It's an easy conversion so I won't bother making a big deal out of it.

Even so, I don't find boobs sexually explicit anyway - I see barechested women as a powerful symbol of femininity, beauty, confidence, and pride. Also, fact = tits rule!

• Like 3

Wyrd really can't win.

They call someone Lizzy Lovelace and get yelled at by prudes.

They put female sculpt in clothing that us revealing, and get yelled at by prudes.

They put a picture of dice next to a cat on a t-shirt, and get yelled at by prudes..

They put nipple guards on a mythical bird women, and get yelled at by guys who want to see nipples.

• Like 5

Wyrd really can't win.

They call someone Lizzy Lovelace and get yelled at by prudes.

They put female sculpt in clothing that us revealing, and get yelled at by prudes.

They put a picture of dice next to a cat on a t-shirt, and get yelled at by prudes..

They put nipple guards on a mythical bird women, and get yelled at by guys who want to see nipples.

Nailed it.....and I agree with the tone.....and the whatnot.

• Like 2

I think there is a happy medium though. True, there are a few companies out there that basically thrive on cheesecake for the sake of cheesecake. I don't mind that, if that is what you are into that is fine. But I don't think that fits Malifaux, I think it cheapens the setting especially in light of the very powerful female personalities that dominate the game in an era where historically (at least in our time line) women were second class citizens. It is a sad truth, but the truth nonetheless. 

However Malifaux is also a game of horror and ugly realities that is unflinching in presenting adult themes to illustrate the dark underbelly of the setting. Sometimes those nightmares take the form of vicious female bird spirits that neither care if their nipples are showing nor have any real ability to make or attach pasties, and these creatures are summoned by mentally disturbed individuals who are interested in more important things than putting pasties onto a Shikome's nipples.

This isn't cheesecake for the sake of cheesecake, these creatures really should have their nipples showing. It is odd that the game allows for showing Gremlin ass on a model but not nipples on a horrific female monster, and the solution is that clunky looking.

That being said, apart from the pasties these models look like they have potential. I would be curious to see them in the flesh.