sundries & services

dgraz

Also, I've seen some discrepancy but is it Guild Scrip or Guild Script. T at the end or not?

No t. Scrip means currency issued by a non-governmental organisation, only usable in said organisation's stores. Associated with mining or factory towns, where everything is owned by one company. Instead of, or in addition to, regular pay, workers would get a certain amount of store credit useable on the company store and similar. This is called scrip, without a t.

Script means a type of lettering or a written story. Neither could conceivably buy you anything anywhere...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to head off tangent for a bit. My wife loves Call of Cthulu, absolutely loves playing and running the classic Victorian era games up to about World War I. Like me she loves her games to have a reasonable amount of detail and realism and so she bought herself an old Sears Catalogue from the period. It's absolutely amazing. You could buy everything from cars to underwear to garden tools to 20lbs of exotic tea.

Do an internet search in your preferred search engine using "goods catalogue <insert year>" and you will be amazed at what comes up. If you check the images of your search you will see front covers of some catalogues which will then allow you to narrow your search further, using specific company names and year dates.

Here's a link to a 1200+ page 1897 Sears Catalogue including 3 cars! If what you want to buy isn't in here it's useless to you :D (EDIT: Just rechecked dates, while this catalogue is listed under a 1897 search it looks to be from 1912-1915. But with a search you could still find the relevant year catalogue.

https://archive.org/stream/catalogno12400sear#page/1230/mode/2up

A link to Sears own Archive site, specifically the page talking about gaining Sear's permission to reproducing catalogues or reuse images from them.

http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/questions/reproducingcatalogs.htm

Also on this site you will find a page "Where can I find old Sears catalogues?" If you go to that page it will list some public libraries in the US which have copies on microfiche. It's like the internet that takes forever to connect to because you have to travel to the library to use it and then once there it has really slow loading times because you have to get up and go looking through boxes of stuff until you find the 'file' you want and then manually 'load' it into the computer monitor looking thing that is on the desk in front of you while you manually cycle through pages of information looking for the thing you want. Thank God for smart phones though, once upon a time it was hard to get a copy and took ages. Now you can just snap a selfie of you, fingers raised in the V victory sign, the screen and some antique technology (microfiche reader) behind you to get a record to take away. Don't let a librarian see you though, they might get upset at you yukking it up. Research iz srs bizness! (Okay sorry I enjoyed that far too much and am amazed at how much time I once wasted at a reader doing research.)

As far as Malifaux goes I don't know if Sears would still deliver there, I don't see why not it's just your Freight Handler would be the Guild and they may have some pretty stiff surcharges. read the catalogue carefully, they did indicate they delivered 'anywhere' their catalogues went.

Anyway have fun and hopefully this helps someone.

EDIT: Sears don't sell water either and one interesting looking catalogue was titled, "Iver Johnson's Bicycles, Motor cycles, Firearms."

wave

ad

ps, I am not American so spell catalogue the same as most other English speakers. Those in the US may prefer catalog in their searches. Same result either way though :)

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
On 3/27/2015 at 8:30 AM, Wakshaani said:

Also ... it -does- rain in Malifaux, right? Or do people have to boil water constantly?

The weather is pretty crazy and the seasons are inconstant.  I imagine rain, when it comes would be quite heavy although the sewers have been built to deal with deluges far greater than those that have been experienced recently.

The water table was contaminated in the Event, which has meant that water has to be shipped in via rail