New player - Perdita Orgeta Crew...

Khalid

Hello all,

I'm a veteran lead pusher, but have not played Malifaux yet.

I'm considering purchasing the Perdita Ortega Crew box to paint them, and also do the Lilith box.  I like the models and fluff best for these two so far.

What I wanted to know is if these two lists play well, and will be enjoyable long term and what models I should add to the starting Ortega crew box (got some idea from people for the Lilith box).  I really like the guys with hawks, but wanted to plan my purchases intelligently to build up to two 50 point crews (want to have an extra crew to help teach buddies the game).

I would love thoughts on what I should pick up.

Thanks,

Your first READ should be the Wiki.

Both crews are much fun to play. They are quite strong, just as most other crew boxes. Austringers, the bird guys, are excellent additions for Dita. Also, Death Marshals are really good for protecting Papa, but I wouldn't advise buying them on their own. Wait for Justice's box instead.

Welcome to Malifaux, fellow Guild player!

Reading up on the wiki helps alot. As for 50ss planning, it is something that helps, but as strategies and schemes influence a lot of lists. But on a general point, don't worry about competiveness or effectiveness, and go for those you like the models of. Easier to paint that way.

(0) Welcome to Malifaux!

Have fun. 

• Like 1

Thanks.

I've read allot on the Pullmyfinger wiki and read some battle reports, but right now I just want to get 50 points of a crew painted up and then I can add stuff on.  Even if I suck at a chosen mission I'll have a crew to get my butt stomped on it;)

I'm doing a demo game tonight, and have been reading the rulebook which is my only real frame of reference.

I'm really going Ortega because I love cowboys/girls and kind of wanted a shooty crew.

Welcome to Malifaux! Perdita being a Neverborn hunter and Lilith being the Queen of the Nephilim and self proclaimed Master of Malifaux makes these two a very fluffy starting point. Be warned though. Perdita's crew will no doubt utterly smash Lilith's all day long and here's why...

Perdita Ortega -- 7 Pool

Enslaved Nephilim [3]
Francisco Ortega [8]
Nino Ortega [7]
Papa Loco [7]
Santiago Ortega [7]

Total = 32 (Without upgrades)
This is the contents of Perdita's box and this crew consists entirely of Enforcers all of which can take upgrades and specialize in shooting stuff dead and they do it VERY well. Now onto Lilith...

Lilith -- 7 Pool

Cherub [3]
Barbaros [10]
Terror Tot [4]
Terror Tot [4]
Terror Tot [4]

Total = 25 (Again without upgrades)

This crew is much smaller in ss count so to balance it out you'll need to limit Perdita's crew to say 30ss, over 50% of them have 4 wounds each and will die in droves against the wall of lead Perdita can put up. Their speed is an advantage but the Family also have great speed and movement tricks which can help mitigate this. Over 50% of Lilith's crew cannot take upgrades and will not take much punishment before dying.

So to summarize, Perdita will more than likely just murder Lilith's starter crew if you go crew box vs. crew box due to the unbalanced SS count. Sure upgrades will need to be factored in and Lilith and Perdita both have some excellent options there but at the end of the day Perdita THE primary candidate for the worst noob hammer out there. She will give your opponents using Lilith such a massive NPE they will call out OP or BROKE! on the regular, trust me!

Feel free to buy both, they are incredibly fun at the standard 50ss level but I would NOT use Perdita's starter crew against Lilith's in a beginners / demo game. This is like a Malifaux Veteran using Von Schill's Freikorps against a beginner with Sonnia. It simply wont end well.  If you play these two crew boxes against each other as they stand I'd recommend a limit of 30ss so Perdita has to drop a model or two and include upgrades to make up the difference, Lilith will be able to take all her models and a couple of upgrades and this will balance it out considerably. 

• Like 1

I was going to paint Ortega to 50 with some extra before I got Lilith and do the same, but I might change my mind as I get used to my first crew.  I just like to have at least two "armies" as I always get my buddies involved in whatever I'm playing.

I was going to paint Ortega to 50 with some extra before I got Lilith and do the same, but I might change my mind as I get used to my first crew.  I just like to have at least two "armies" as I always get my buddies involved in whatever I'm playing.

Good plan.

I would love thoughts on what I should pick up.

Austringer is always a solid choice and can be pretty helpful with Deliver Orders since the Ortega's would rather be spending AP on killing things.

Scheme running and out-activation are the biggest weaknesses as most Ortegas are 7ss or more since they can all take upgrades. Someone mentioned a Watcher...and they are excellent for that role. Personally I prefer Guild Hounds.....I like to run a pack of 3...that's only 9ss for 3 Minion models....they can also be Significant if they run together.....they're super fast.

I'm also a big fan of the Pistolero. I usually take at least one and if I don't do the Hounds I'll take two. They are a solid model with abilities that make them good either early or late in a turn. I like them also because they are a 'Family' model that is cheap enough to activate early for a Perdita 'Relocate'.

• Like 2