Fighting against a faction

CanYaDigIT

To me that's a toss up between Outcasts and Ten Thunders. Both of these factions have masters/crews that all vary widely in what they can bring and what they can do. It's very hard to predict. Others, for the most part though there are always exceptions, you can draw some overall conclusions of what you'll face: Guild - Ranged attacks, Ressers - Undead/Conditions, Neverborn - Melee/Conditions, Arcanist - Armor/Constructs, Gremlins - Low wound models/shooting. As I said though, these are just my generalist views of the other factions and aren't always what you'll face, but give me a decent rule of thumb. Outcast and Ten Thunders, however, could be any of the above with most of the Masters/Crews.

• Like 2

Well put, asrian- I think I'd agree on those two as the wild cards. I'd maybe call Outcasts control (many masters have some form of AP manipulation/out-activation/positioning or obey/reactivate) but that's kind of a weird generalization and not much to prepare for other than not taking too elite of a crew, and I'd say TT have some of the strongest minions/general independence of pieces, but that's not that much of a counter-able play-style so much as options.

• 4 months later...

I would agree Outcasts, each of their masters do a different job particularly well and can lead to some potentially disastrous match ups if you're not prepared for the style of master you are facing.

I'd say Ten Thunders are generally solid but hearing my opponent is playing them doesn't fill me with the same dread.

Neverborn cause me to second guess my crew choices a lot more than any other faction. There seems to be a lot more to think about when facing them.

I'll throw my hat in for Outcasts as well; you can make an educated guess at what master they might bring depending on your faction choice and the game setup, but it's never guaranteed, and playing against Levi is a very different game from playing against Tara, which is a very different game from playing against Jack Daw, which is a very different game from playing against Hamelin. The Viks are lethal, but at least they don't massively change the playstyle of the game in the same way as the above do, similarly Von Schill can be compared to a Guild crew with mostly ranged threats and a couple of melee/mobility abilities. I've yet to meet an Outcast player that gave Misaki a chance (no idea why; Scout the Field, Oathkeeper and Diving Charge are a match made in heaven).

Gremlins.

I love their aesthetic in theory. But as a primarily Guild player it's hard to not see them as doing everything that I do, only better. I have only played a couple games against Gremlins that were remotely competitive, and never played one that I enjoyed.

Wow. I haven't played against Gremlins yet, but this has always been my fear. They just seem sooo powerful on paper. I love them too, but have avoided collecting them just yet. 

On topic: I always fear Neverborn, but that may be that I haven't faced them enough. I also worry about facing Gremlins, but again this is more fear of the unknown than real life experience.

Outcasts don't really worry me overall, but if they are announced I always worry about Ashes and Dust and how to handle it.