The (not so) great Proxy Thread!

bandages

Just adding onto my previous post - I love the Ironsides boxset but, much like McCabe or Mei Feng or even Shenlong - the master is just too damn boring looking to be a master. Plain and generic, tedious and boring. If the plastics had the character that the old metals possessed we wouldn't have this problem. ;)

I've remedied this by deciding to make The Boxer my Ironsides proxy... meet "Tony" Ironsides:

OL_Boxer__51104.1410794109.1280.1280.png

Arguing with a Steampunk Daniel Day-Lewis is most definitely a lost cause. I'll be giving him a tophat from the Jim Younger model because obvious reasons.

• Like 3

I honestly think that the one thing Malifaux suffers from in its M2E incarnation is boring looking masters. Not everyone needs to be a space marine in full power armor with dual minigun arms but... well... some should be.

Whenever I think of the coolest looking Malifaux models its always like the wastrels, death marshals, stalkers, oxfordians, gunsmiths, etc.

Your minions shouldn't be more exciting than your masters and we really need to get some centerpiece models (back) in the game (yeay emissaries but still sadface for masters). Like Shenlong almost takes the cake from mei feng as the most boring master (raspy too, I guess).

I dont think a single plastic master is even close to my top 10 favorites (maybe Nico).

That's the only reason I bring up WWX so much - when you see the legendary models (wyatt earp, jesse james, and oh my fuck abe lincoln) your like "oh fck yeah - thats my master." I just dont get the same feeling from M2E - The Captain steals the show from ironsides and her dumb hair, for example... and so on.

• Like 1

As for Ironsides, I love the Wyrd mini, but this one would work as well:

dadb7db9fcff9d598b464fdf5eacc178_large.j

Personally I find most of WWX as sorta "cool" in that GW way - they seem to be trying a bit too hard.

For truly special stuff I would recommend Infamy Miniatures, Twisted (I mean, come on: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0684/2951/products/Nancy_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1432893865 ) and then various boutique minis.

• Like 3

That is also a wicked ironsides Math!

I do agree whole heartedly (once again, this is getting to be quite scary) with SpectreEliteGaming on the whole master issue. I think in m1e metals the masters were a lot better. Look at original McMourning. Now that's a scary and a topnotch model for example.

But Mei Feng, ironsides, Shenlong, are all really just very boring, blank and generic. Captain is a great model vs his master as exampled by Spectre.

• Like 1

zFiend - S'cool man - we'll just keep liking each other's posts. You know how I feel about metal McM aleady I'm sure - thats top 10 of all minis ever made for me.

I'm really hoping for some Master alts to spice things up (like the kaeris one - not as nice but pretty dece action pose).

There are very few plastic masters I can even think of that are eye catching. Nico, maybe Seamus (but metal was better), McM sorta (ditto with metal), maybe von schill, most of the gremlins are okay - especially wong... Hoffman is actually a good plastic, I'd have to say - Molly would be better without the green hand flame shit - Zoraida's plastic is really good too (no Marie Laveau, though ;) ).

But like then you see all the others - tara (probably the worst), ironsides, yan lo, Shenlong, mei feng, ramos, raspy (all arcanists actually...), McCabe (ugh), lilth, pandora and so on... :blink:

My opinion obviously - but yeah, not eye catching by any means.

Math - That's a stellar Ironsides find - I'm just jelly. Checking out that range right now. Its nice to see new things. :) I understand your point of view and I also feel WWX is excessive and extreme. I myself am excessive and extreme. It was mean't to be.

• Like 1

Looking at Infamy, Tesla and Jo March would make fair standins for Leveticus and Alyce.

But then I already have Leveticus and Alyce in metal and plastic. I'm not going to buy more. (for the record I prefer the plastics for Leveticus and co).

Yeah, Legendary Earp with Pups is one of the models I've been most excited about for a very long time. I mean... just look at it!

:blink: Mind Blown :blink:

The caption for it would be Ash's boomstick speech from AoD.

"You. You want some of this? Huh? You want some? Huh? HUH!?!"

A man doing an Ash quote is a man I trust.

Just realized my forum notifications weren't hitting my email.....sorry for the delay.

Thanks for the posts on the monks, Math. I ran across some animal themed characters that could work as well, I just know how I feel about the aesthetic. 

In the end I think I'm going to pick a few of the more rotund models from the Bushido line for an Asian-Friar Tuck theme.

WWX looks like Wyrd models sculpted by Michael Bay while he was drinking Redbull.

Nonsense! They are of a much higher quality! ;)

Even so - they reach that special place in my heart that rejects "normal" subtle models in favor of the extreme. Why would I want that moderate simplicity in my fantasy games when I get more than enough tediousness and boredom IRL? Being "reasonable" is how we end up with models like Shenlong. :/

If it has guns - give 'em a nuke. If it has boobs - make it 4.

Besides... they sure catch your eye like no man's bsns and only Forgeworld is above Outlaw in terms of both quality and sculpt.

(for the record I prefer the plastics for Leveticus and co).

Admit it - its only because they have legz 4 daiz.

• Like 1

I've painted up the Apparitions as the Guilty as well - does it count as a proxy if its still a wyrd miniature?

Although its more of a proxy - I don't see any TO's saying you can't use them as guilty - they look perfect for the role and 100% Wyrd.

I have an original brass arachnid so I plan on using the new one on a 50mm as a large arachnid - I'd also consider this the grey area between proxy and "conversion" but I don't think anybody would argue with the choice.

• Like 1

For truly special stuff I would recommend Infamy Miniatures, Twisted (I mean, come on: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0684/2951/products/Nancy_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1432893865 ) and then various boutique minis.

I have that miniature, and Nightingale. I actually bought them as TtB one off characters. They're stunning miniatures, but amazingly fragile to get that level of detail. I'd never put one on the tabletop now that I've bought them. They're really not gaming peices, and won't be until they transition them to the planned plastic (they're doing a Kingdom Death style intro to the niverse with boutique resins).

Oh look, what we have here is a possibly rather parched looking stereotypical representation of "darkness."

Spirit-Apparition-Alt-Sidekick.png?lr=t&

Or this one because, yeay - options.

Spirit-Apparition-Sidekick.png?lr=t&bw=1

And what we have here is a... sea-dwelling crustacean and/or arthropod of some kind... possibly an ancient descent of a mirelurk king that boned a prehistoric giant centipede:

Wyrd_Hungering_Darkness_small.jpg

I really hope that model gets an alt scuplt one day... otherwise I never want to see one of these hit the table without googly eyes.

• Like 1