The (not so) great Proxy Thread!

bandages

I have felt, since the official release of wave 2 cards, that many players and their choice of master/faction are currently hampered by what is in essence a ‘buying limbo’.

This point has been expanded, and discussed in far more detail here:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/106416-im-trying-to-be-patient-i-really-am/

There is the issue of models which are new (Vasillisa for Neverborn to name just one), and then there are those models who’s aesthetic has completely changed (All of the Effigys). If you were fortunate enough to have picked up the metal versions of the wave 2 models before production/distribution were stopped, then you are in luck. But if not, then you are forced to either;

a)      Trawl the 2nd hand market (A Coryphee pack went for £47 on ebay a few weeks back!!!)

b )     Get lucky that your LGS has left over stock (highly unlikely in my experience)

c)       Not play that master (Sad face)

d)      Proxy

This thread is concerned with choice D.

It would be interesting to see the creative solutions to this problem that the community has come up with, whether it be proxies from other games companies, conversions or even scratch builds!

I would also propose that people make requests for specific proxy examples or possibilities!

Here are a few, by no means my own finds I must add, which I have found suitable:

McTavish (Fon the hunter from Tale of war)

TOWVE0013_-_Fon_zpsnj3clf1a.jpg

Vasillisa (From Freebooters fate)

Assassin_3_zpsi9w9qdkt.jpg

Vasillisa (Tale of War again)

product_60294_zpsgf9nhlht.jpg

I would like to request examples for: The Swamp Mother and Gupps!

Look I'm right there with you on Vasilisa, but it feels a bit rude to Wyrd to make a thread like this.

If you want ideas for yourself, then it'd probably just be easier to ask in a thread for someone to PM you rather than make a bigger deal out of it. It certainly would be a start to just list the model names and links vs. images. If people are looking for proxies they have the time to click a small amount of links under the name.

Look I'm right there with you on Vasilisa, but it feels a bit rude to Wyrd to make a thread like this.

I would agree with you, but the tone of the thread is specifically for models which do not exist or are unavailable for purchase. The intent is not to say, 'here's a decent Perdita I found from this model company.' It's intent is to see what the community are using to fill the void of missing models.

In my opinion that does not really relate to a loss of sales, and I don't think I am alone in saying that I'd buy the Wyrd plastic of said model when it was released anyway.

Moreover, I would cite the current painting competition, which allows entires from other modelling companies, to indicate that Wyrd are secure and mature enough to realise that this is not a thread intended to undermine their product range. If I am wrong then i understand if the thread is deleted/locked, but I'd be slightly disappointed.

• Like 3

There have been a ton of threads like this, both for unreleased models and for when people want a different look for a released model, usually rule 63. If Wyrd minded I expect they would have said something by now.

---

I think the middle picture would be more fitting as Lucius than Vasilisa, it looks more like a human in a mask than a puppet/robot.

I think that Wyrd have always been exceptionally inclusive about proxies. Gaining Ground doesn't allow them but that is utterly natural. But outside of the official tournaments, I think that they don't mind. As really, even when using proxies, it means that people are playing and in the long run that means that the game will flourish and the customers will come.

I think that ultimately this stems from two things: Wyrd are minis enthusiasts (so they appreciate the art and the industry) and, more importantly, they are simply confident in the product that they offer. As well they should be! Wyrd minis are really good and I think that they are getting better all the time.

That said, I do think that more specific threads are better. If you are looking for something, ask away (at Miniature Matters) - a giant all-purpose thread is unwieldy and difficult to use if it gains traction.

As for the OP's specific requests, how about these for Gupps:

http://www.warploqueminiatures.com/#!product/prd14/3101572001/bayourk-swamp-critters

• 2 weeks later...

I actually came across him the first time in 1st edition (I hated the beer belly and busted pants convict), then I got it into my head and try to puppetize him so I could run him in a Collodi crew for M2E but I'm still not sure if I need him given the cost vs. another Stitched Together and save the Soulstones.

For the Arcanist, you'd be spot on the money. Maybe I'll induct him into Ramos crew if he doesn't work out as a puppet, thank you for the idea!

• 4 weeks later...

I've played around with the idea of using this model (The grey pilgrim from Bushido) as a young Yamaziko. I like the idea of using her when playing 20ss matches led by a henchman, while making up some improvised narrative of the match taking place some sixty years ago during the rise to power of the Katanaka clan.

P11008022.jpg

• Like 1

I like using Reaper Minis for proxies, since they're both rather cheap (especially the Bones line) and have an easy to search database.

Their Deadlands minis can, obviously, work in a number of roles for The Guild.  And their Chronoscope models are stuffed with options - my favorites are a Gunsmith:

50178_p_1_mp.jpg

And shirt-comes-off Von Schill:

IG_1870_1.jpg

(He could use a knife, though.)

• Like 1

Looking for a Wendigo proxy. In first edition I used EoP with Rasputina, so never got one. Now it seems it's sold in the starter box only.

I could track down the old metal one, but I'm not a fan of it (oddly, because as rule of thumb I usually like best the old "grotesque" albeit a bit rough style of metal models than the more polished style of the new plastic ones).

Anyway, any suggestion for a Wendigo?