What are you listening to?

On the road to Gen Con!

I put a lot of thought into what my marathon was going to be this time around.

24 hour total drive time almost to the hour... sooooo I'ma get my righteousness fired up with classic Dio w/ Rainbow leading into Black Sabbath/Dio then to get me through the night I'm stepping up the BPM with some Static-X on volume level 11 (WDT, Cannival, Shadow Zone, Machine, and so on). This will go on until the crack of dawn in which I shall switch to Blind Guardian to round off my build up to the eve of battle.

PRO TIP: Blind Guardian is always a solid choice to marathon! Give me that sweet sweet power metal! B)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Slayer - World painted blood. :P

When you don't have a wife and a child you can listen to what you want while at the gym too. :P

I have a wife and 3 kids (soon to be 4) and I listen to whatever I want.  The kids know that if they get in the car with me and not with mom that it is usually going to be some sort of loud metal on the radio.

My wife often comes with me to metal shows as well.

• Like 1

I've been on a bit of a stoner kick lately. I don't enjoy full on buzz and there has to be plenty of groove - I'm really quite picky when it comes to stoner. But here's some of the highlights:

I never really checked out Orange Goblin, but I really like the song you posted.  I am a big fan of The Sword so this sounds like it is right up my alley.

Lately I have been listening to the new Between the Buried and Me album.  I have also been listening to Animals As Leaders, who I recently discovered when they opened at the Between the Buried and Me concert a couple weeks ago.  They were pretty amazing to watch live so I have been checking out their albums.

• Like 1

BTBAM are ace!  Going to a festival next week so lots of listening to bands that are playing that, primarily Touche Amore, The Fall of Troy, Dillinger Escape Plan, Thrice and the best band in the world ever Coheed and Cambria!

Coheed and Cambia are excellent live.  I have seen them twice.  The first time I saw them they opened for Iron Maiden, so that was overall a pretty epic show.  The second time I saw them they were the headliners and the opening acts were Between the Buried and Me and Russian Circles.  I had been a Russian Circles fan for a number of years already, but hardly anyone knew who they were so it was fun to see them blow most of the crowd away.

Man you guys get some awesome gigs!  I remember seeing posters for the Maiden/Coheed gig and was so jealous.  Coheed and Cambria are my favourite band (I have their logo tattooed on my neck!).  Seen them around 8 times now but still like an 8 year child at Christmas about seeing them again next week!  And yeah, they've been fantastic every time I've seen them.  Full album show next week too so get to see the whole of In Keeping Secrets live.

Man you guys get some awesome gigs!  I remember seeing posters for the Maiden/Coheed gig and was so jealous.  Coheed and Cambria are my favourite band (I have their logo tattooed on my neck!).  Seen them around 8 times now but still like an 8 year child at Christmas about seeing them again next week!  And yeah, they've been fantastic every time I've seen them.  Full album show next week too so get to see the whole of In Keeping Secrets live.

I had to drive to Salt Lake City to see that show, but it was worth it.  Iron Maiden shows are in a league of their own.  They pretty much own the giant arena spectacle.  If you ever get a chance to go see them I recommend that you do.  They probably won't be touring for too many more years.

• 2 weeks later...

Fair to Midland is weird. I think that they have some really killer stuff but then a lot of really mediocre ones as well. Really like this one, though:

Punish Youself is awesome but this one comes from their Cult Movie album which is really different from their usual fare. An absolutely amazing song - basically an instrumental but one that really captures the title:

I just picked up the new album from The Sword.  It is quite a departure from their other stuff.  While they usually play throw-back doom style metal with a bit of thin-lizzy & ZZ top rock influence mixed in this new album is pretty much just straight 70s rock.

On the whole I like the album, but it seems inconsistent.  Some songs seem a bit too short and end right when I think they are getting good.  Some other songs do not seem to fit the flow of the album.  So far I think that the album is quite awesome at times, but they do not seem to have been able to sustain a consistent quality across the whole thing like the usually do.

I have also been listening to some of the new Trivium stuff that they have been previewing and it has gotten me to go listen to some of their older stuff again.