February 23rd - Colette

Lucidicide

the problem with those images is that they are modernised fancy dress costumes, and don't really reflect the costumes of the period, most Saloon girls and dancers did wear 'scandalously short' skirts- but for the time that meant knee length, not hotpants, the only girls who wore the slit skirts and exposed thighs were the true 'Shady ladies' who sold themselves, not something I'd imagine Collette would be up to in her spare time. 

If historical accuracy triumphed over the rule of cool, idk how much of this wonderful anachronistic pulpsteamvictoriowesthorroreastasiafantasypunk universe would exist...

This is how The Law gets dressed, I doubt anyone would beat an eye for The Showgirl

Everyone who loves it, get on the left. Everyone who hates it, the right...

...and FIGHT!

OK, not really. Don't fight.

You haven't justified your profile pic, yet! xD

• Like 1

Bracers are more sleeve-like and give her somewhere to hide her tricks, gloves aren't as useful as she'd have to keep going to the top end for the cards;) besides she needs something for the metal doves to land on and lace gloves would get shredded! This beats the awful old metal hands down for me:)

Those bracers would be useless for hiding anything, gloves on the other hand would go with the glamorous aspect.

Colette's okay, but I am glad I have my metal set.   This just isn't working as Colette for me.   

Not at all sure how I feel about the Mannequin--moving in the direction of Coryphee is interesting, but the pose doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I can see why you would want something more dynamic than the basic mannequin poses in the metal, but this feels like too much.

Maybe I will change my mind when I see it in person.  But for now I judge my wallet to be safe.

Edit: I am another of those who started with Colette.  Bought the box with no intention of learning the game...just thought the models looked really interesting.  I don't think this Colette gets me started.  

I think what us long term players continually over estimate is how much our love of the old sculpts which got us into the game clouds our judgement of new ones.

In many cases those sculpts are our first Malifaux loves and its natural for us to find new sculpts 'wrong'. New players don't have that baggage IMO.

• Like 3

New collette does look good, however I am slightly disappointed Wyrd didn't have the Balls to go with the book artwork, which I personally like much more

Sorry, we're not a game company that makes balls, so we are surprisingly short on them.

post-7966-13911927834058.jpg

- "Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!" -

p.s. Damn it! I unleashed a kindle of kittens! xD

Kaeris was special and I really did like her render, in particular the standing sculpt.

But this is Colette (and a Mannequin), my first master, the reason I started Malifaux. So.....

Top hat is awesome.

I'd love to see a little bit of a wry smile, coy and dangerous but given the size of the actual mini (compared to the render) this is not an issue because I would not really see it.

Outfit, stance and 'look' are all solid.

Flame is, meh, I'd have preferred a dove. I don't associate Colette with fire, or offense at all much really. Illusion and tricks and the flame does not capture that for me.

Overall pleased, looking forward to it 8/10.

Mannequin I'm more uncertain of, I understand the dance pose but it does not grab my attention. The hand blades are cool, a little Corphyee but cool, however the feet blades not so much. Overall 6.5/10.

But the most important thing is...

I WANTS IT, I WANTS IT NOW, NOT LATER NOW. WANTS WANTS WANTS WANTS.................

I do wonder why this rather strong reimagining was deemed necessary. She went from Moulin Rouge - like magician to western saloon stage dancer, gaining twice the lenght of hair in the process.

But she is not the only case here. Rasputina is another example of a female Malifaux Master who changed quite a bit from her first incarnation. The same holds true for Perdita, who looks a lot stronger and, dare I say it, almost manly compared to her first version. Sonia looks slimmer, gained a lantern and mask, kept her style in clothes.

The male Masters seem rather unchanged and kept a lot of their former appeal. Nicodem, Ramos, Lucius, all of these were barely altered, the most changes becoming apparent in their specific poses.

There are probably more examples and also exceptions, but I hope you get my point.

I think what us long term players continually over estimate is how much our love of the old sculpts which got us into the game clouds our judgement of new ones.

In many cases those sculpts are our first Malifaux loves and its natural for us to find new sculpts 'wrong'. New players don't have that baggage IMO.

I am of the opposite and love the newer plastic sculpts on the whole..but then I prefer to work in plastic anyway.

I started with the metal Lady J set but I much prefer the new plastics.

Still have the metal ones (two sets in fact!) but will likely sell at least one lot on..

I've been waiting to see these for ages and overall I really like them. I'm not terribly keen on the flames in her hand, it just seems a bit odd and not really in character for Colette. I can understand not wanting to go with cards though, as that's really much more Jakob. But I'm not sure she needs anything in her hand at all really. In any case, we can always hope there are a few optional hands. The only other complaint I have about Colette is the stitching on the hat. It just seems a little weird and despite the corset and the braces it seems out of place. As someone else said, it's much more a resurrectionist hat. It's obviously a bit different feel to the old one. It's much more wild west and less New Orleans and I doubt I'll get rid of my old one. But I really do like this one.

The mannequin looks like a huge improvement over the old models who, lets be honest, are fairly boring models. I don't really use mannequins but at least these looks like they could be fun to paint up and look cool. It also makes me very hopeful that I'll get some Coryphee models I don't hate so I can start using those.