Tournament Advice - ending games early

Brass Monkey

Hi all,

I'm organising a tournament at our local club and would welcome your advice please.

In our normal casual play, when we run out of time and stop the game early we can usually decide on who would have won and make a guess at how many VP they would have had. Otherwise we call it a draw. Doesn't really matter as it's all for fun.

For tournament play we'll be imposing time limits on each game. What do you do in tournaments for incomplete games? Do you let them finish that activation? Finish that round? Do you count "at the end of the game" VP at that point? Do you let people calculate how many VP they would have had if they hadn't run out of time?

I guess the answers are Y, N, Y and N respectively but would welcome your advice.

Thank you.

BM

The UK standard is to call 'final turn', IE not allow players to start a new turn, about fifteen minutes before the end of the round. Then when time runs out completely the current activation is completed and VPs are calculated with game ending at that point.

A key thing here is frequent time calls during the round. IMO a TO should be calling the time every half hour. This helps focus players minds and keeps games moving along. It also lets players manage their time during the games, and good players will be able to make calculations like; at this speed turn four will be the last turn. They can then speed up and/or adjust their play accordingly.

Regarding 'agreeing results' based on what would happen if the game ran to full time.  There are rules for this in Gaining Grounds, and it's personally something I like doing, but it's purely up to the players if they want to take advantage of this.  You can't force players to agree a result, if time runs out the game ends where it ends and scores accordingly.

It also helps speed up games if you make sure players have Strategies, deployment types, and schemes a short while in advance of the event. That way fewer players waste ten minutes each round deciding how to approach the game.

• Like 1

Agreed with all the points above.

I do think Tournaments/gaining grounds should have a clarification for Bodyguard and game length. Perhaps something like BG should be announced in turn 3 and you only gain 2 VP in the following turns (regardless whether you get to turn 5 or not) and then a further VP if they survive above half wounds. 

At present BG is not considered usually as against some masters (summoning) or even games that require a lot of thought given the calibre of opponent can mean you don't get to turn 5.

• Like 1

I've only attended one tournament but they called last turn around 15 minutes before the end and then they call last activation when time is just about up and the person who is currently activating a model gets to finish the activation and that is that.

Personally I don't like the idea of working out what the VPs would be had the game gone the full length.  Firstly because playing tournaments is about learning to play to a time limit and accrue VPs as quickly as possible.  Secondly because as accurately as you can usually call what would happen you can never be completely sure because there are so many variations in the game that you could end up awarding VPs that in actual fact may never get scored.  I think it's a lot fairer and easier (particularly for you as a TO) to just call the VPs as they stand when the last turn/activation takes place.

Agreed with all the points above.

I do think Tournaments/gaining grounds should have a clarification for Bodyguard and game length. Perhaps something like BG should be announced in turn 3 and you only gain 2 VP in the following turns (regardless whether you get to turn 5 or not) and then a further VP if they survive above half wounds. 

At present BG is not considered usually as against some masters (summoning) or even games that require a lot of thought given the calibre of opponent can mean you don't get to turn 5.

Personally I think that makes bodyguard too easy for the points.

I do agree that against people I don't know I rarely consider Bodyguard as anything other than a 2 pt scheme whilst I'm picking. But I consider myself a fast player, and am surprised if I don't get to turn 4 at least

• Like 1