Frozen Moments Voting - Diorama

Diorama  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite diorama!

• Rail Crew web
    • Light in the Dark
    • Rude Awakening
    • Ama No Zako

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to comment, but...

Rail crew- well, it's a crew in more sense than one, and while I feel like crews can be dioramas, there's a crew category already and the base/model interaction doesn't feel like the point of the scene, so I feel it's misplaced. 

Light in the Dark is nice, but it's very straightforward and very airbrushed, and I'm going to completely admit my bias here, and say I don't like either of those things. Also, the blood dripping had a ton of potential to show movement, but is going straight down, like Barbaros is just hanging out instead of charging, whirling, dodging, etc.

Rude Awakening is narratively my favorite, since there's the fun where I feel like it's amusingly ambiguous what the rude awakening is- Mortimer's rude, so there could be a play on words there, or it could be a focus on the zombie's perspective coming back to life, or Mortimer looks kinda' like he's smirking and ready to hit that dumb zombie or otherwise make its day even worse. Not sure if I like the Vulture since it doesn't feel like it wholly matters in the scene, but it helps with the overall compositional balance, so I agree that something should have been there. The narrative, with a paint job that can hold it up (the snow effect isn't great, but the rest is good) is enough to be my fave.

Ama no Zako is by far my favorite paint job of the set and I even think the weird snow works despite normally thinking a scatter like that comes out messy, but, well, it doesn't feel much like a narrative, just a model on a very nice base. The details are crammed-in feeling ("here's some asian stuff all around") and I'm not sure how the Voodoo Doll or ama no zako are interacting, and the way the Voodoo Doll is hanging off the edge plus the name makes it feel like an afterthought. Great paint job, less so on the narrative.

• Like 1

Bit of a tough choice between sonnia and Mortimer, love the odl on sonnia (im as sucker for glowy green !) But Mortimer's happy expression won me over ! The rail crew have a nice cohesive look and I like how the snow sets ama off nicely

Ama No Zako model  does a fantastic job transitioning colors and compiments the model without being overly complex. The only downside I see is the latern is just white, could use OSL.

Rude Awakening has a beautilly done vulture. Also really like the work on the shovel and zombie. The only downsides in my opinion is there is no pile of dirt from the whole Mortimer dug and the now looks kind of like styrofoam.

Light and dark. I like the idea of a black and white diaroma, but it looks their was not enough shading/highlighting built up could be the picture angle or hard to tell if not in person.

Rail crew has a nice diorama, but I can't really make out the details on the models. They could benefit from a closer picture. The models from the angle they are at look like they could use more shading.

Wow!  Some great work here.  Amo No Zako is one of my favorite models.  The light and the dark really translated the well.  The tilted orientation adds to the dynamic poses of the models.

Hi

Also good entries in this category. Though a bit too few :(

I think the best entry is Ama No Zako, but I'm a 10T player myself, so I might be a bit biased :). I just like the idea of that huge deamon floating by while the little doll is hiding to sneak into an ancient  temple or something, that Ama is guarding. good job.  

Very few entries for diorama, the technique for light in the dark is my choice. Only if the consistency with the action depicted and the drops would have been much better

Really like the work of these. For me, it was mainly between Light in the Dark and Rude Awakening and while I found RA really charming, in my mind it could have benefited from some more realistic snow.

While I liked all of them, Ama No Zaku won me over. it's a great sculpt (one of my favorites from 2.0) and the ice/frost effects and the muted colors were so great. Add to that the adorable little doll peeking around the side... you have my vote right here. =]

My vote goes to Light in the Dark.  I really love the black and white style, the blending is great, poses are evocative and the OSL makes it really pop.

"Light in the Dark" is great. Sure the paint job is awesome but all entrants seem to have a good paint job. The fact this is diorama and the layout and positioning of the models is what makes it stand out. Well done to all though, tough call.

I do love Rude Awakening's work with the zombie and the vulture, but Ama ultimately won out with me. The colour transitions were great, and though it does still feel like it could have used a little more story in its presentation, the exceptional job on the arch and the hiding voodoo doll finally brought me around.

I just love how happy Mortimer looks in Rude Awakening. I can't tell what he is supposed to be doing, maybe Nicodem's bidding digging up mindless zombies perhaps? Maybe putting them out after he is done with them? My favourite idea is that he is fed up with Nicodem, going rouge and smashing the zombies heads in just to smite him. I just love the dynamic nature of the scene, and it was by far had the most story in the scene. The one issue I had with this diorama is the basing. I wish that there was a little more color in the snow, as in the picture it is hard to see past the plain white.