• Tara and Super Friends
    • I Go Walkin' Out After
    • Children of December
    • Pink Dreamer
    • Somer Teeth Party Crew
    • Mei Feng's crew
    • Dark Debts
    • Frozen Moments Nicodem

Not sure if this is the place i am meant to comment on things or not, but here we go anyway!

I voted for "I go Walkin' out after" for the lovely shadowy scheme and OSL effects that the painter had used. The Lamps lighting Bad Juju up was awesome!

Nao's "No Shelter Here" Crew was pretty cool as well, its not often I see a Purple Spirit but I liked these :)

Calvirs "No Shelter Here" Crew had a teddy in it, and this teddy was looking pretty good! Reminded me of the bear from Toy Story 3 a bit :P!

Kirai's Crew was looking good as well, i liked the base work in particular!

Seamus was represented well, with my particular favourite model of this bunch being the "Bete Noire". Her Bloodstained clothes looked pretty awesome!

Sweet Dreams boasted some fun bases using small toy blocks. I like the Alp who looks like he is about to boot a tower of blocks over as well. Little Sod!

Tara and her Superfriends, had some lovely carapace work on the Void Wretches.

Childeren of December, i wasn't able to find this crew so unfortunetly i can't really comment on how pretty I'm sure it looks :(! Sorry mystery painter!

Pink Dreamer, i wasn't a huge fan of this as I'm not a big fan of the coloured plastic models. But i liked the bases. They were Snazzy!

Somer Teeth Party Crew was beautiful and where my 2nd vote would go if i could vote twice! The Whiskey Golem was lovely, as was Somers Cigar!

Mei Fengs Crew had a gorgeous Emberling model. Always liked this model and the paintjob certainly does it justice!!!

Dark Debts, i wasn't a huge fan of how bright the Brilliance aspects of the models were.

Nicodem's crew was crisp and clean and all round lovely. My only quarrel was the zombie who was JUST coming out of the grave was clean as well.

• Like 1

I was really impressed with the Dark Debts crew!  In many of the pictures of that crew, you can see the gap in Huggy Bear (hungering darkness).  In this crew, you cannot see that.  I love bright paint jobs too.

Great work all around.

Some really good entries. In my oppinion the top three are:

1. Som'er Teeth's Party Crew (the shading and earth tones are just gorgeus)

2. I Go Walkin Out After (I looks awesome, but it's hard to see the details in the dark Picture)

3. The Forzen Moments Nicodem (I like the pale skin tone)

But really great entries. Good job everyone.

Sadly the zoraida crew pictures make it difficult to assess the quality of the painting vs the amount of photo manipulation. I opted for the clean work on sweat greats crew.

A tricky decision to be sure. My vote however went to Sweet Dreams which I found had the best balance between colour, grit, detail and blending of the colours.

these entries are all intense... like camping! hehe... get it? never mind...

I think each of these crews deserve a vote. Really. They all bring something to the table and they all do it in such a different way. even the two Pandora crews back to back look totally different and unique. Pretty impressive stuff when you consider we're all working with the same sculpts.

The first one that comes up, Nicodem, wow. they looks so great and so finely detailed, and they also look right out of a photo from the turn of the century. almost sepia without bashing you over the head saying LOOK WE ARE SEPIA THEMED! the subtlety is really great and I love it.

I went back to the Zoriada crew three times. I wish there were more pictures because I love everything about them. from the brilliant lighting that carried from Z's base onto mr juju, to the little puppets crawling over the foliage the details are all top notch. I also love any Silurids I see that are not green and purple like the old art. (yes.. .my metal ones are painted exactly like the old art... don't judge! :P)

The tara crew was awesome. I love the models, and I really like how you utilized the translucent sculpts without just leaving them bare. adding that little touch made me wonder for a second if they were clear or it just tricked the eyes. Isn't that kind of the point of the nothing beast? You only see the light that he doesn't destroy around him. looks to me like you absolutely nailed that idea.

Finally... and I think you'll get the vote for this... the white Raspy crew. if you told me that someone entered December crew and just painted all the ice creatures white, I would probably think that sounded boring. Your crew is far from boring. like... woah... it's so crisp and clean (two things snow should be, right?) and even if it weren't icy monsters, that white work is some of the best I have ever seen on a mini anywhere. Huge fan of what you have done there!

I find it really difficult to judge as the images are so tiny! In some of the photos I can barely see the models! So far I like the Whisky Golem crew and the Zoraida crew but I wish I could see better!! 

I find it really difficult to judge as the images are so tiny! In some of the photos I can barely see the models! So far I like the Whisky Golem crew and the Zoraida crew but I wish I could see better!! 

You can open the zoomed images in a new tab (right-click function) to get them at the submitted size, which makes a few clearer... A little frustrating that the images aren't appearing at the sizes Wyrd requested they be submitted at, but I'm assuming it's some sort of automatic override. It also allows you to see a lot of the texture in many of the more subtle ones.

• Like 1

Quite a few very interesting entries here. Definitely my favorite category. As a participant, I can only stress again that painting a whole crew to a high standard in a limited period of time is never easy, so all the more props to all those who entered. The only thing I don't really like in competitions like this is seeing when people vote for their own work. I know the rules don't forbid that. Still, it seems to go against the fun part of the competition. Not a big deal really but it kind of leaves a bad aftertaste...

Had to vote for "I Go Walkin' out after" because I like both the color choices for the sillurids and the OSL on Mamma Z is spot on. Well done indeed and has inspired me to get painting the rest of my Z box.

The So'mer Teeth Party Crew is my favorite.  So technically sound, blending is excellent.  NMM is gorgeous, not over the top.  It has a realistic feel to it.  Bases are very well done, as well.

For me the top 3 are the Som'er crew, Viruk's Dreamer crew and the Zoraida crew. Viruk definately wins the basing competition but overall I'm torn. Not sure which one to vote for! I think it'll probably be Zoraida. 

I think from a technical standpoint Somer has the best crew, but I'm a fan of NMM. Basing is also simple and naturally draws the eye to the model without looking out of place.

Also, purely from a painting POV, while Zoraida looks very good I'm also under the impression a blue filter was used or added digitally to some of the sections of that crew. Just looking at the outlines of blue on various models, or noticeably the blue on the right arm of Bad JuJu in the top middle picture that all but disappears in the picture from the sameish angle below and to the right of it. Still would be my third pick if we had more votes.

There may be nothing against it in the rules, but I'm voting on sheer painting and I like a nice bright and naturally illuminated crew to judge the painting quality.

If I had two votes though, hands down it would be the Sweet Dreams crew. Thematically I actually like it the best, but some of the paint schemes were bland in color. This could have been done purposefully to make the brighter colors pop, but I have the feeling that the painter here could have done the opposite (imaginative colors bursting from bland backgrounds) or bright colors all around and made it work as well. On two minor notes, the Dreamer showcases some of the best white cloth I've seen in a while and Coppelius has an absolutely amazingly octopus-like head coloration that I can't tell if it was intentional.

Funny how I talked more about my runner up choices than I did my pick, but when you know, you know. :D

• Like 1

I don't generally like to comment on my own work/respond to comments on it during a competition, because I feel it's kinda' weird and the work should be able to stand on its own (and more often than not they're anonymous submissions), but, defending myself...

I'm also under the impression a blue filter was used or added digitally to some of the sections of that crew. Just looking at the outlines of blue on various models, or noticeably the blue on the right arm of Bad JuJu in the top middle picture that all but disappears in the picture from the sameish angle below and to the right of it.

On Juju, I expect the difference was from the model is on its own in one shot and interacting with the shadows cast by others in the top or my own oversight regarding imbalanced light. I did (obviously) photoshop the image, but didn't do anything beyond the various masking/collage, and correcting the image for my light setup: I don't have a light-controlled environment, so need to compensate for an uneven set of light sources (bulbs vs. daylight). 

I illustrate, and actively apply my understanding of lighting and color between to painting models' OSL. The blue shadows, purple recesses, and orange light are all a product of paint/blending/washes, not digital filters. I commission paint and have never had someone complain that I misrepresented my work in photographs when they've received their pieces, for what that's worth, and always try to photograph my work faithfully.

Funnily I've got a ton of your work saved in my Malifaux folder as inspiration/"I'm totally going to rip this idea and this idea off" for the time when I acquire certain models. I never felt the photos were manipulated, but those were also done with very clear lighting tbh. (P.S. Your Tannen rocks with the Yakuza tattoos, amazing idea).

Anyway did you use any sort of color blending/smoothing option in the collage? If so, that could have done the blue effect without you being aware of it. I'm not familiar with the masking you mention other than painting rooms in person and using masking tape. Also, forgot to mention I loved the Silurids in that piece, very much felt like Catfish with the skin tones.

I double-checked the file, and localized stuff was basically just pushing the brightness because the photos started under-lit, maybe I missed a spot when compensating? It could be that you're comparing digitally true black with a not perfectly balanced everything else? With my darker images, I've found that other screens pick up masking problems I've never seen on mine, so maybe I just can't see it. I don't use blending/smudge tools (I basically just layer), so I don't think that's it? (Masking is the same thing: covering up stuff you don't want to bleed over- in this case a solid black so the individual shots easily transition/don't sprawl, instead of tape so it doesn't drip etc.)

I prefer shooting like this (decontextualizing the work as minis as much as I can/removing glare caused by less than stellar gear), and this is just an extension of how I normally shoot/light but more refined: I've edited everything I post, but just to bring it closer to how it looks in person.

Anyways, I don't think I'm pushing my work, but I feel uncomfortable with anything resembling threadjacking in a competition or possibly skewing, so would be happy to have more of a conversation after the comp.