Madaxeman's Terrain buildout

madaxeman

I've been slowly building some terrain for Malifaux, which has been a lot of fun - actually having to think about making stuff from scratch is very different to building a kit or following a plan.

Here's some of the initial pieces - I'll post more up on my blog at http://www.madaxeman.com/Malifaux/Malifaux_Terrain.php as it gets done.

IMGP3264.JPG

These are the first buildings to be sort-of finished. The tower is a Warbases tower, with their roofing material. I glued the windows on, blu-tacked the doors and then glued sand to the walls. Once it dried the doors (and shutters) came off, and I sprayed the whole thing black, then gave it a dusting spray (as in I sprayed it from about 1-2 feet, and with fairly fast passes, as I didn't want to properly coat the black with grey). Both sprays were car undercoat sprays from Halfords. The gears on the tower are a vague attempt to make it look more Steampunk, and came from an eBay seller who sells 25g pots of old watch parts to use in scrapbooking and crafts. 

IMGP3266.JPG

The walkways are made from foam board, again covered in sand and sprayed in the same way. I made sure the walkways were wide enough for 50mm bases, and that the steps didn't have "fronts" so that a larger base would fit underneath each step to allow larger models to balance on them without having to have 50mm-deep steps (which would have looked a bit odd).

The wooden slats on the top are just strips of thin cardboard cut semi-randomly and glued down. They were then painted and drybrushed with several different woody-browns, starting with my favourite, GW's Graveyard Earth, which I think now goes by another name.

• Like 1

Really nice effect with the sand/grit you have used for the walls!  Clearly its a river sand by the roundedness of the grains, but the result makes me want to source some myself.  The undercuts on the stairs are also a great idea that I haven't seen yet.

I think they look great already, but to get that grimy "Big Smoke" London kind of feel, you might wash the walls with a brown/black, or maybe a dark green for a mossy look.  From experience I know terrain like that might shed sand with time, so finding a spray sealer of some kind might not be a bad investment to avoid a mess and the pieces starting to look shabby.

I've thought about the wash - the ArmyPainter varnishes might work, but I'm going to do a few more and see what they look like before I do a test I think.

The sand is from a beach in Bermuda (yo!) that I originally picked up for my 15mm Pirate army bases, and it has really big grains - but I've almost run out now so will try some with "normal" builders sand as well and post them up when I get a chance