Wyrd's First National Championships (open to ALL!) @ the NOVA Open - LESS THAN A MONTH AWAY - Events from 9/3 - 9/6/2015

MVBrandt

Here's why:

• Beta testing let us preview the contents of Shifting Loyalties months in advance of the actual release.
  • Though Gencon is not an in-store release date, the majority of people who are going to be at the Nationals probably have it, or have someone in their group who does
  • The models that have changed from the Beta have not changed drastically. Subtle changes have been made to improve them, but for the most part, they are (with a few exceptions) essentially the same thing with tweaked powers
  • The community will also be endlessly discussing the new book in exhaustive detail, either on forums, podcasts, or blogs

I have no problem with the inclusion of Wave 3 models, but I think you should be clearer about what you are choosing to incentivize. The championship should determine the best Malifaux player (and it is perfectly legitimate to include Wave 3), yet the factors you list above are peripheral to actually playing Malifaux and, worse, they do not effect players evenly. You are penalizing people who do not have friends who went to GenCon, which disproportionately and adversely effects players with smaller play groups or for whom travel to GenCon might prove difficult, either through geography or cost. The location of the NOVA Open is already an obstacle for those of us on the west coast. You are also penalizing people who have no interest in beta testing and who do not want to spend time reading forums, podcasts, or blogs. I do not think that internet media consumption habits, geography, or how many friends you have who happened to go to GenCon should be factors in a tournament.

Again, I take no issue with the inclusion of Wave 3 rules; they will be released and legal. I do think that the rationale you provided is problematic. 

The fact of the matter is that the rules for Shifting Loyalties models will be legal and released by the time NOVA Open rolls around. This would still be true if there had been no open beta, and the rules were released the day before NOVA.

It's an official tournament, which uses official rules. Which means that officially released rules are legal. That's pretty much all there is to it.

While it's true that the timing may be a bit awkward and give certain individuals more time to practice with these rules, it's also true that people gain advantages in many other ways; players from larger communities face more diverse opponents and have an advantage, players who have less intensive jobs have more time to play, players with more money can buy a larger range of models with which they have experience, etc, etc etc. We can't account for everything. Even if Shifting Loyalties was out for six months before the event, maybe certain players belonged to gaming groups at stores which had shipping errors and hadn't received the book yet.

I would consider adapting to new models and thinking on your feet just as important to determining a champion as who has had the most time to practice all year.

At the end of the day my litmus test for this is: Is the material officially released in stores at the time of the event? If yes, it's legal.

The organizers did ask me if I thought including it would work out, so of course I said yes, as I both believe that release is the only real place to draw the line, and I want to see the rules used. On the other hand, if they had told me they didn't want to include Shifting Loyalties, I would have said that's fine too, you are putting the effort into running the event and I understand the reasoning.

So we'll see how it goes. If it causes issues, we know for next year. I have full faith in the team running this event to make it as fair, fun, and challenging as possible. :)

• Like 3

1. Yes. Yes. Also, yes.

5. As per the GG rules, if the model is over 2/3 Wyrd, and clearly can represent the model is meant to represent, then it can be used. If the player has no cards available, but has a clear photocopy or printout of the correct rules, a printout can be used. 

6. Yes, as we are allowing Wave 3 models, as Shifting Loyalties will have been released for a month plus at that point. So, yes, valid proxies (see the Wyrd conversion guide) can be use if they are 66% Wyrd Model.

7. The Hyatt Regency @ Regan National: https://aws.passkey.com/g/40463125?utm_campaign=2014%20NOVA%20Open%20Wrap-Up%20and%20Results

Get to converting if you want to run tengu

I understand many of your concerns. 

This is something many of us have gone through during a new release cycle for other games. The meta shifts, and can sometimes shift rapidly when a new release occurs. Believe me, I understand. I have my scars from the 5th edition-7th edition 40k Codex/Edition creep cycle. Rapid adjustment is nothing new when it comes to tournament play. 

That being said, I have trust in the Wyrd design team, and having read the rules and participated in the beta, I don't think this is as drastic a shift as it may seem. I have more to say on this, but I have to get to work. I'll post more this later, but I hear your concerns.

• Like 2

Hello, all. 

I hope the following link will answer your questions regarding Wave 3 and conversions/proxies, and how they'll be handled at the Nova Open: Wave 3 FAQ

And again, if you have questions about if a conversion you built to represent a model passes muster with our TOs, email pics of them to MalifauxMatt@gmail.com