I'm embarrassed for whoever made the hungering darkness sculpt

ooshawn

The model can be worked on i am sure. I see it more like the "start" of a monster than something else, as it's very plain. But yeah if someone doens't want to add anything to it, it's one of the weaker releases. As stated above, it's also one of the earliest plastic kit...now i don't want to talk through my hat, but i also think it's also the first "large" plastic miniature they've done, as part of lynch crew. I think it could look like one of those ghostbusters ectoplasm things, but the painting skills needed might be high to get the result...perhaps a translucent edition look better?

Agreed, and yeah, I think the Dark Debts crew is probably the best material for transparency out of any of the older plastics. With the HD, Lynch's skeleton, and the Illuminated manifestations, you're talking about the only crew where every model inherently has some transparent bit to highlight. I'd be all over that if it were in the right color.

Also, Mr Brightside, I'd considered doing something like that, with the emerging HD inhaling the spare half of an illuminated... still not sure if I might cut mine up to try it out, but it's a possibility.

• Like 1

I like the style of that Puppet Wars model, but would LOVE a floating monster rather than a slug, with that kind of personality and dress.

Agreed, and yeah, I think the Dark Debts crew is probably the best material for transparency out of any of the older plastics. With the HD, Lynch's skeleton, and the Illuminated manifestations, you're talking about the only crew where every model inherently has some transparent bit to highlight. I'd be all over that if it were in the right color.

Eh....if Wyrd is going to do a Nightmare Huggy crew, do an actual nightmare huggy crew that's better sculpted (and make it transparent to boot). 

Oh, that was with the assumption that it's just a relatively cheap run of using the same molds with different plastic, vs concepting, rendering, and casting another whole crew.

Yeah, the Dark Debts crew could certainly be fodder for a NE crew, with wyrd's added experience in the material and some darker (no pun intended) brilliance stuff (and, while they're at it, maybe a more dynamic Lynch for variety).

• Like 1

I'm also not a fan of the dorky tadpole. The one eating the illuminated looks pretty great, shame the same level of care wasn't used on what is the crew's centerpiece. 

For those looking for something a little more grisly, Euynome works well with what the HD actually does, locking its victims in a cycle of addiction. I thought about replacing the claws with syringes, but it might be a little too on the nose. 

hd1015.jpg

Reaper's Gravewailer also has potential, depending on size. If smaller, its probably ending up as my second Insidious Madness.

3675.jpg

I actually like the sculpt. Aww, Huggy, he's sooooooooooooooo cute!

ok not the terrifying, formless eldritch horror we all imagined. Perhaps the cuteness is merely an illusion design to lure you in.

Would you prefer the mini resembled a cuddly bunny? Look how that ended up for king Arthur's knights!

• Like 1

I first encountered Lynch and Co. not long after being turned on to Spawn of Possession. Check out the album cover here... this is what I sort of picture Lynch and Huggy looking like.

Still, no need to be hateful about it. Yeah, Huggy does have a cute side, but that's in touch with his NB/10T roots... expect the unexpected.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I stumbled across this thread a bit ago, it got me into looking for a suitable alternative (I know the Alt is done and this is an old post). I couldn’t really find much, then today, I came across some of the mastery of one of the original old skool, Mike McVey... specifically, the The Others - 7 Sins sculpts. They’re good, real good.

Envy was the one that caught me just because of its similarity to Huggy, but so much more, dark and brooding and very neverborn. I think it’s the balance that huggy in old form was lacking. Check it out...

[pic removed] 

Obviously paint job matters, that’s actually really good, imagine it with the shiny brilliance styling too.

Looking at the range, Greed also has a good shout for a “counts as” too. Especially the “hungering” part...

[pic removed] 

Again, imagine that shiny brilliance styling... The pages do have the plain sculpts and the details are just incredible. These are decent paint jobs too, but I can imagine the variance and brilliance done to these with skilled hands!

Mike McVey and his studio keeping good sculpture in miniatures is a good thing. I love these super detailed monstrosities!

http://studiomcvey.highwire.com/products/the-others-7-sins

• Like 2

I personally thought the Hungering Darkness figure was awesome. Especially with his nickname of Huggy. So when a friend was painting it up for me, I made him paint him up as Elmo, from Sesame Street. He goes really well with the original metal version of Teddy that I have as Cookie Monster.

I'm also in the process of getting a Hoffman crew painted up as the Avengers.

I have a problem.

But none of that would have happened without this Hungering Darkness sculpt.

12992389_10208040368300410_1586190483_n.jpg

EDIT: And here's his buddy that was mentioned earlier.

CookieMonster.jpg.49b720af7fca1ba0265e02bdb6aa4b4e.jpg

Edited by Morgan Vening
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I am fond of Huggy, although I don't see the sculpt as beeing particularly menacing etc. But I also don't see it as beeing especially dorky either. Huggy has a certain charm. Most proxies and the new alternative version are 'generic horror monster' in my eyes. I guess it is good, then, that we have two models to choose from.

(Nothing against some good old thread-necromancy)

• Like 1