Oiran Lure

katadder

Mechanically, they serve very different roles, and Belles are only available to just over 1 faction, compared to the other mercs who are available to everyone, so got more versatility instead of one extremely good ability (generalist instead of an ability that could break games). Thematically/visually, other than the amusing/creepy image from the rotten belles as the original, not much, though I like Ferossa's answer.

Try this:

Cross Lure off your Oiran card (with dry erase pen). Play her like that for a few games. She's a Wp-boosting, un-Chargeable, Defensive-Stance-bonus, Poison-dealing model with a cascading attack and a 9" threat range for 5 soulstones. She's pretty good like that, honest. Try her a few games. She usually hangs out near the Master providing buffs, objectives, and defensive support.

Then, once you've played her for two games like that, add the Lure back in and treat it as a free upgrade. She can sometimes lure enemy models with a high Crow, and can lure friendly models with a low-to-mid Crow. Handy!

Then, if you're Ten Thunders Crew, add her ACTUAL free upgrade which gives Fast and Furious and suddenly she's crazy good. Always take this Upgrade.

Lure isn't the Oiran's main attack. It's an occasional utility ability.

If you want a Mercenary Lure platform, you'll probably do better with a Performer than an Oiran.

• Like 3

Then at 6 stones you have a mercenary that buffs wp has defensive capabilities and is a lure bot. Yep everyone would take at least one all the time. (Cept ressers ofc) who wouldn't take at least one? That kind of versatility in 5(6) stones.

If they did have both suits it would have been "oiran lure is to op" And belles would not be complained about. (Or rather as loud)

• Like 1

I have used Oiran about half a dozen times and their Lure was next to useless. I also found them to be a bit...eh. I haven't tried them again with their new upgrade, it may make me decide to use them again.

I don't think it is fair to compare anyone's Lure to the Belles though as theirs really is over the top and Belles do have a bunch of other abilities going for them besides Lure. I think comparing them to a Beckoner is more sensible as their Lure is pretty balanced.

• Like 1

I still find it odd that in 1.5 both suits were built in on the Oiran lure, but in 2.0 it's not. I don't know if this was by design or not, but my money says it was a typo they never bothered to change. That's pure speculation, though. *shrugs *

She never had the two suits, she had an ability that let her consider she had the mask OR the crow, which did double her odds, but it was still an unreliable lure.

The Oiran is the best example of an unfocused model. It seems looking at the card that you either tarpit, lure, or attack. This variety of purpose could be good, but the oiran are terrible at all three and can really only do one at a time with any kind of hope of succeeding. Tarpiting seems like it could be successful, place the model somewhere the enemy needs to be and they can't charge plus you get double defense. This rarely works, defense 5 even with ++ flips isn't enough to save her from dying and alot of models don't need to charge to deliver 6 damage. We covered how crappy the lure is, so I will skip it. Lastly the attacks, the 1 ap attack is decent if you have something to manipulate the poison (shenlong, performers, fermented monks), otherwise it generally does not do much. The crux of how disappointing the oiran is the 2 ap repeating melee attack. The base idea for a repeating attack that gets harder to hit with is great but the execution in the rules nails the coffin for me. Its Mi 6 1/2/4 with a trigger to take the attack again at -1 Mi until you hit Mi 1. The combo of really low damage and having to burn cards to keep the chain going gives you mediocre results, usually 3-5 damage. That is the best case scenario, rarely will you get the attack off due to 1 inch range and requiring 2 ap. The upgrade in crossroads was supposed to help with this attack specifically but it is hard to pull of with terrain and models blocking los and even if you do get it, you are rewarded with average damage for all of the combo and hardwork you had to do. 

The trick with Flutter is knowing how and when to cheat to maximise your damage. Like a lot of attacks in Malifaux, it comes down to luck. On average you're going to be doing minimum damage, but you will always remember the one game where your Oiran stood there and giggled and Fluttered Ramos to death.

As for Lure, it's a defensive, not offensive, lure. It's meant for breaking enemy positioning, not luring the opponent into position.

Unsuited lure with a high Ca can also force opponents to either burn cards when you haven't got the suit (your opponent doesn't know if you're going to cheat), or let you get off Lures by cheating down after they don't cheat when you haven't yet got the suit. Not great, but it's definitely a decent tool to have for when it makes sense. 

With both smoke and mirrors and hidden agenda, Oiran are actually pretty great value generalists. It definitely dictates a lot of your crew choices (Misaki lead, or including Yamaziko or Ototo for smoke and mirrors, and likely something shooty for hidden agenda). 

I actually just picked up a box of Oiran, and I'm considering testing out Oiran based Yan Lo and Mei Feng crews. 

• Like 1

I'm experimenting with Oiran with Mei Feng. I like to use her as an action support piece and I've playing with a setup of two Oiran paired with a Metal Gamin. Oiran are great, unpredictable scheme runners and with Protection of Metal they're pretty sturdy. They're a low enough threat that the enemy tends to ignore them for the first few turns, and Mei Feng can rail walk to the gamin if the Oiran get into too much trouble.