50SS - Ophelia vs Guild McMourning

TehMik

Friend I played against wrote up our game for our LFGS' Google group. Figured I'd share. It was my first game against McM. In fact, I asked my friend (who is an expert McM player) to run guild McM as I just picked up the box and learn from him.

Begin quote:

So here's a complete rundown of the game, as I recall it.

Strat: Reconnoiter

Scheme: ALITS, Distract, Bodyguard, Spring the Trap, and one more I can't remember.

My Crew:

McMourning, On the Clock, Plastic Surgery, Evidence Tampering

Sebastian

Nurse

Zombie Chihuahua

2 Austringers

Executioner

Brutal Effigy

Witchling Stalker

Mik's Crew

>

Ophilia, Dirty Cheater, Liquid Bravery

Francois, Dirty Cheater

Rami

Lenny

Raphael

Young Lacroix

Slop Hauler

2-3 Bayou Gremlins

>

Right from the start Mik's basic tactic (cluster around Lenny and send Bayou Gremlins off to the side for Line in the Sand) runs headlong into my aura-based, unreduceable damage and LoS ignoring Austringers. My crew is also almost the same model count as Mik's, which is one of the big advantages that Gremlins tend to have.

>

First turn he runs up a bayou gremlin close to the center line, only to have it exploded by an austringer. Lesson learned, so now he places all of his models >18 inches from the austringer. Unfortunately McMourning can move his own guys at the cost of putting poison on them. Inflicting 2 wounds on my Austringer to take out the other flanking gremlin was a small price to pay, so Injection on the Austringer and down goes the second Gremlin. I advance my Effigy too aggressively and it gets nuked with a Jug Rocket down to Hard to Kill. The nurse patches up the effigy and the rest of the turn is just positioning and a few unsuccessful pot shots.

>

Turn 2 I win initiative and show why it's not always possible to take out that zombie chihuahua by pumping it full of uppers and downers and running it 14 inches up the board into the cluster of gremlins surrounding Lenny, putting poison on Ophilia, Rami, and Raphael. They then proceed to kick a dog around for a while and blow up an Austringer with an attack that ignore LoS, because turnabout is fair play. At the end of the round Sebastian, in the finest tradition of side kicks, tries to cut McMourning in half with a buzz saw, in the process handing him a bunch of cocaine, which he then does to push through the copse of trees in the middle of the field right into the middle of the enemy crew, put distract on ophilia and Raphael and do some damage to Lenny. Austringer moves Sebastian into a slightly more advantageous position and then the turn ends, at which point a bunch of gremlins take a bunch of poison damage and the danger of the situation begins to dawn

Turn 3, I lose initiative and McMourning almost dies in a hail of gunfire. Liberal use of soulstones and a lack of luck moderate damages on negative flips keep him alive at 7 wounds. Burn ALL THE SOULSTONES to keep him alive because if he lives, I win. My turn, I active the effigy and give McMourning Fear not the Blade, which is really what separates guild McMourning from Resser. Because rancid transplant is an attack action that does AoE damage, I rancid transplant Ophilia and do one damage to 3 models, healing me 3 (because of fear not the blade). I do it again to francois and heal four, putting me back to full and filling them with enough poison to last the rest of their lives. In the process it incidentally kills Raphael, so I get to draw a card. It also puts rami and francois to the point where they'll die if they activate. Then I stab Lenny for kicks. Mik now has no choice but to active the slop hauler to heal up some guys before they just die. Sebastian reposition to make the slop haulers effort all for naught and the executioner finishes off Lenny, leaving Mik written insufficient models to get reconoiter, a bodyguard who will die next turn, and no models who can drop scheme markers. The real downside for me is that I might not get full spring the trap points.

We call it there.

Take home lessons: I'd you are paying against McMourning, kill the chihuahua. If you are playing, hide him in the back until you can pump him full of drugs and tie up 5-6x his soulstone cost in models trying to kill him.

Bunching up around Lenny is a solid tactic most of the time. Against McMourning it can get you hella poisoned. I was worried that guild McMourning wouldn't have easy enough access to poison without the numerous models with infect that Ressers have. That was not the case. I still haven't tried out a performer yet. Lower cast, higher damage cap expunge.

When playing McMourning, make sure you know your auras by heart. Assume your opponent had no idea how your crew works, mostly because they don't.

McMourning is scary fast and looks super resilient on paper, which will tempt you to run him out ahead. Do not do that. Make them come to you as much as possible and advance your crew as a unit. Activate McMourning after taking damage to capitalize on his easy healing. If you are going guild don't forget his ability to hand out precise. McMourning's damage spread starts low, so you may well be able to do more damage by letting another beater ignore armor.

McMourning is tons of fun to play. Arguably less so to play against. Just remember what Conan said about what is best in life.

End quote.

Yeah. I got stomped. It was a really, really fun game. But holy crap I did not know McM could do that. How do you guys deal with McM? Brewmaster? Or just table flipping?

With all that shooting did you just have bad luck with the flips in trying to kill things? Seems like Ophelia, or Francois with Lenny aura should have no problem dropping the amped up chihuahua...although it was a hilarious narrative!

I think a Somer summoning list might be easier to wield for Reconnoiter.

I killed the chihuahua as soon as I could, but at that point he had been catapulted forward and did his job. Ah wells.

I had ok flips, but my opponent was good at using cover to force negative flips. I wouldn't say flips necessarily swung the game. It wasn't one of *those* games we all have now and then where anything 6+ has gone on vacation. I nuked the austringer with a red joker damage flip, for example.

I agree, Som'er would be better but wyrd hasn't given me my Black Friday goodness bet.

At the end of the round Sebastian, in the finest tradition of side kicks, tries to cut McMourning in half with a buzz saw, in the process handing him a bunch of cocaine, which he then does

:D That's certainly one way to do it...

As for how to deal with them - Sebastian is a key piece. Killing him will make Poison a lot less scary.

Also, Ophelia can kill McM pretty easily. The trick is to get him to come out, somehow, as he is fast enough to keep a bit hidden. But OTOH Lenny can throw Ophelia so it's not like she's slow, either. Winning Initiative is golden with Companion on both sides, so Trixiebelle can be a good choice.

As for how to deal with them - Sebastian is a key piece. Killing him will make Poison a lot less scary.

Also, Ophelia can kill McM pretty easily. The trick is to get him to come out, somehow, as he is fast enough to keep a bit hidden. But OTOH Lenny can throw Ophelia so it's not like she's slow, either. Winning Initiative is golden with Companion on both sides, so Trixiebelle can be a good choice.

Solid advice here, Math plays both masters and wickedly as well. :)

You may find Somer is in a worse position against McMourning.

lots of little 4 wd targets to expunge and turn in autopsies.

I can't speak from experience but playing both Somer and McMourning I see Mcmourning making the most of Somers play style.

But Somer can also play very enforcer elitey lists. Though they are still very susceptible to Expunge festing.

• 2 weeks later...

I really do wish the Gremlin taxidermist had spent some time with McMourning Gremlin/Resser cross faction sounds so entertaining.

But then I really love the idea of a Gremlin Bodger (Gremlin/Arcanist) but I can see why neither of these happened.

Gremlin Master running around with "the hanged" or "the duet" etc just seems a) too silly even for Gremlins  (ignoring Mah Tucket) and B) leaning towards cheeseball lists.

Well, all in all, there isn't that much that isn't susceptible to Expunge festing...

My point was with a Somer Summoning list you've made McMournings job easier than it should be.